This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File this under WTF!

So the other day one of my students, a 9 year old boy, returned to class after being absent for 2 weeks. The class only meets once a week, so he only missed one class, so I wouldn't have thought anything of it...

...except now he is missing three fingers on his right hand

After class I asked my manager what happened, but she didn't know; in fact, the whole thing came as a total surprise to her, since his mother hadn't mentioned anything.

I mean, DAMN.

You'd think the parents would mention to the teacher that their kid is coming back missing body parts...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

not to mention the parents could be in trouble with the law if they were responsible for the loss of fingers

Comment

Holy Crapola.

Now in July, I would be fairly certain how that might have happened...

But in December? Well, I know people can mess with fireworks any time of year but it's just more likely in July. Assuming you're in the US, I mean.

Wow. Poor kid.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm amazed the parents haven't said anything. If he is right-hand dominant, it will take him a little while to get used to writing, painting, catching etc with the missing fingers and some accommodations might need to be made for him.
          I understand not wanting to draw attention to the situation, but I feel some explanation would be necessary

Comment

This makes me sad.

Were they bandaged up? healed? And not to be stupid, but youre sure they werent missing before right?

I dont know what kind of class this was/is but I think youre well within your rights to place a call to the parents to find out what happened. That way it can be addressed to the class correctly (if necessary). The other kids are sure to notice.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Now in July, I would be fairly certain how that might have happened...

But in December? Well, I know people can mess with fireworks any time of year but it's just more likely in July. Assuming you're in the US, I mean.
              i don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but around here fireworks are just as big around new year's as on the the 4th of july.
              My Space

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
                i don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but around here fireworks are just as big around new year's as on the the 4th of july.
                Not so much here, although I'm sure there are exceptions. Here it starts in April-May, sometimes... and goes on past the 4th of July.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

whoa. Yeah... as a concerned teacher, I'd totally ask about what happened. Best of luck phrasing it such that you won't offend anyone. o___o
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Poor kid! Totally check into this and if you get vague answers or a hinky feeling, do make a call to family services. Better to be on the safe side and have it checked out by the authorities than not to say something and have something even worse happen to the kid.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Thank you all for your concern, but I feel I need to clarify a few things.

I live in Japan and teach at an English school, which is entirely separate from the regular Japanese school system. An ekaiwa, or English school, is a private business, and the rules and regulations are not the same as a real school; the parents have no obligations us, but we have the same obligations to them as any business has to their customers.

My Japanese is poor at best, so I have to rely on my Japanese manager to serve as a go-between the parents and myself. I have no power to directly intervene in any situation, especially since the language/cultural barrier prevents me from understanding the whole story.

Were they bandaged up? healed? And not to be stupid, but youre sure they werent missing before right?
                      This is what's been bothering me the most. I've only been here for 2 months and am only just getting to know all of the kids; I find myself wondering if this kid's fingers were always gone and I'm just now noticing. But then I think, 'jeez Misty, are you really so clueless you haven't noticed that one of your students has been missing body parts until now?? I mean, it's not as obvious as a missing arm or leg, but STILL...'

You get the idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X