Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am SO fricking glad I'm self-employed...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am SO fricking glad I'm self-employed...

...because it means I can say "enough already" and tell twits like these to take a hike.

A refresher for those who don't know me: I make a living making costumes. I specialize in mascot costumes/fursuits, so I deal with furries a lot. 95% of them are actually terrific people, but man that 5% REALLY deserves the reputation they have. They drive me nuts.

So this one "customer" has been contacting me for years now. I put "customer" in quotes because he's never actually given me a penny. He's asked for quotes on any number of projects, but apparently they were all theoretical, or something.

He's also attempted several times to be my "furiend" (not a typo) and was hurt when I said my IM was for business only.

Then he tried to get me to send him a costume to resell, ie. he'd give me the money after he sold it in his amazingly successful costume shop that he was about to start as soon as he got enough costumes. (I don't think there's a word that's "no" enough for how much "no" I wanted to say to that one.)

And then he started lowballing me. REALLY lowballing me. I'd quote him $250 for something, he'd offer me $100, that kind of thing. Completely ridiculous offers, which I always turned down.

Today... today was the final straw. I'll give you the actual text of the conversation.

Idiot: how much for a full body suit
    Me: Depends a bit on the details, if it has any markings like spots or stripes, etc. And you mean with the head and hands and all yes? Not just the body alone? The basic price for a full suit is $1,300.
    Idiot: looking to spend 1000
    Me: Well, I could make a partial.
    Idiot: nah ill keep looking thanks
    Idiot: people sell parital for like 600
    Idiot: and full suits for 1000
    Me: Some people do, yes.
    Idiot: i think anything above 1000 is way to much
    Me: Well, that's your opinion. Goodbye,.
    Idiot: yeah sure who can afford that money took me ages to get 1000

I could have pointed at the dozens of completed costumes I've made at that price, and all the happy customers I have. I could have linked him to any one of the many professional and even semi-pro mascot makers who charge easily two or three times what I do. (One of the best in the business is rumored to charge TEN times his piddly little 1k.) I could have advised him that insulting my prices is not the way to get me to cut a deal. Or heck, I could even have offered to take payments from him, if he can't afford the extra $300 at the same time, I'm always happy to do that. But you know? I was kind of sick of this. He's obviously never going to actually give me any money, and he was really starting to annoy me. So I blocked him.

Although I did manage to repress the urge to tell him "fuck off" before I did. I do try to maintain a bare minimum of professional behavior, even with twits.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Wow, what a noob.

At least YOU know that the quality of your suits is worth more than he offered.
    I'd be willing to say the rest of your paying customers also know that the quality of your suits is worth the price they have to pay.
    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Every fandom has at least one of this assholes.

Wanna bet he's only a furry 'cause the furry community is the only one that hasn't kicked him to the curb?

* It takes a lot to get ostracized by furs.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth zombiequeen View Post
        At least YOU know that the quality of your suits is worth more than he offered.
        I'd be willing to say the rest of your paying customers also know that the quality of your suits is worth the price they have to pay.
        Agreed. Sounds like a bit of an EW or a cheapie.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Every fandom has at least one of this assholes.

Wanna bet he's only a furry 'cause the furry community is the only one that hasn't kicked him to the curb?

* It takes a lot to get ostracized by furs.

^-.-^
          Especially the ones who make every word into a portmanteau of 'fur'.
          Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Good work is worth a "higher" price. Doubly so with fur. Fur makes me sneeze, even the faux stuff. Fortunately, I have a friend who works almost exclusively in fur and I do the extremely structured. Hell, I'd pay her to take some of the furries I've met off my hands. I commend you for doing this and doing it well.
            "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
              Idiot: people sell parital for like 600 and full suits for 1000
              Me: Some people do, yes. So go buy from them and leave me the hell alone, cheapskate.
              Fixed that for you.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Dollars to doughnuts says he will create a new IM name just to try and contact you again the next time he wants a costume he can't afford...>_>
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Dollars to doughnuts says he will create a new IM name just to try and contact you again the next time he wants a costume he can't afford...>_>
                  I was honestly quite surprised he didn't make a new account immediately to whine at me about being blocked, that's nearly always the response I get after blocking these idiots.
                  The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

These people have no idea what goes into sewing a costume. Time, lots of time, planning, measuring, material (which is not cheap, even when it's on sale), getting everything cut and matched up, fighting with the machine when it snags/bunches/rips the fabric or breaks the needle, etc.

I've done costume sewing, but it's been with cloth (muslin, linen-look, etc). I'm guessing you use faux fur, pleather and similar materials, all of which are much more difficult to work with than fabric. And much, much more expensive.

The reason it's so expensive is because the customer is paying someone else to do the long hours of hard work and buy the pricy materials. Your time and expertise are worth money. If this guy is too cheap to buy your work, he's more than welcome to make it himself. Then we can laugh ourselves silly when he whines about "how it's sooooo much wooooorrrkkk!"
                    Last edited by XCashier; 01-18-2011, 04:13 AM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

People are too used to the made in China, mass-produced junk you get at the costume store at Halloween. Custom hand work is an entirely different world.

If he's still looking for the tiger he wanted the last three or four times he asked me for some kind of quote, he'll be lucky to find anybody at all that will make him a full tiger suit for his price. Stripes are expensive! Odds are he'll end up with one of the "this costume thing should make me tons of money" n00bs that are constantly springing up in the fursuit world, and they'll take his money, then give up on making the suit when they get bored/realize that making costumes is just like a "real job" only it pays less for your time, and will never refund him because they blew the money on video games and tattoos months ago, and he'll end up out a thousand bucks, with nothing whatsoever to show for it.

(That scenario happens a LOT. Always research your costumer's reputation and experience before paying them anything!)

Comment

Buh....a grand? For a hand made full body costume? O.o what in the nine hells is he smoking.

I mean, hell, I've been assembling a costume for the local renfaire over the past few years, and I've spent about four hundred bucks on just the basics, and I thought I was pretty lucky for that! And thats barely anything compared to what he wanted....
                        *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

Do these furry costumes have heads and claws and stuff, or are they more like a bodysuit with ears? i'm curious, I don't think I;ve ever seen one.
                          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                          - Dave Barry

Comment

They come in all sorts, but the most common has a head and hands and feet and all.

is one I made recently, and is pretty typical.

Comment

Wow, that is really good work!
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X