X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new lab, better than the old lab!

ok had my first day at the new lab.....

OMG! compared to the old one-this is heaven, and totally worth giving up $1.50/hr and paid insurance!

easiest way is side-by side comparison:

Old lab-6,000 test tubes per day MINIMUM!
    New lab-400 test tubes per day MAXIMUM!

Old lab-780 3L per day
    New lab-12 3L per day

Old lab-70 1L 3x a week
    New lab-15 1L 3x a week

old lab-2000 plates per day
    new lab-200 plates per day
    (example-old-X agar 8L batch DAILY, new lab-x agar 1l, once or twice a week)

Old lab-orders written randomly on white board, or verbal requests
    New lab-media request forms filled out with media, amount, and time needed by.

old lab-no type of organization-random papers/forms everywhere
    New lab-EVERYTHING is done on computers.

Old lab-no idea what the stock on hand should be
    New Lab-list of what needs to be on hand, do not over make

Old lab-never cared about age of media
    New lab-expiration dates on everything strictly adhered to

and M the owner of old lab's granddaughter-yeah she walked out on Monday, just up and quit because there were FOUR people doing small media last week(I was large media and kept up just fine by myself=780 3L per day), and they were out of all small media on monday morning. So M would've been stuck making 15 1,000 tube batches, 140 500ml bottles, and 6 runs of plates(3,000 plates)-that should be two days worth, yes they slacked that badly with FOUR PEOPLE!!!!

So yeah, they're left with nothing but 3 slackers-oops guess they'll know now who actually did the damn work!
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-27-2011, 01:38 AM.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
    Old lab-orders written randomly on white board, or verbal requests
    New lab-media request forms filled out with media, amount, and time needed by.

old lab-no type of organization-random papers/forms everywhere
    New lab-EVERYTHING is done on computers.

Old lab-no idea what the stock on hand should be
    New Lab-list of what needs to be on hand, do not over make

Old lab-never cared about age of media
    New lab-expiration dates on everything strictly adhered to
    Even without the lower workload/person, this would be sooo worth it! This would make the same workload ten times easier.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Congratulations on getting that sweet job. It sounds like you're going to be a lot happier there.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Sounds like the new lab has learned from the old labs mistakes!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
          Oh, I hope not! That would mean that there's the chance of suckage contamination!

No, better to hope that this is a good place that got it right, right from the beginning.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Wow, the drop in work load must make it feel like you are on vacation ... =)
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Compared to the old place, it sounds like paradise.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                Oh, I hope not! That would mean that there's the chance of suckage contamination!
                No, better to hope that this is a good place that got it right, right from the beginning.
                both are correct in a way-owner of new lab being the daughter of the owner of old lab, did notice what didn't work and so when she started her lab, she made sure to keep the bad stuff from happening.

I got to meet her today! I told her how happy I was with all the bad stuff not being in her lab, her response-"I'm glad you're happy, you have to be happy at work, you spend so much time at work that if you aren't happy, it sucks!"
                I like her already.

Also got a call from owner of the old lab, he wanted someone to tell him why he "lost his two best media makers in one week", he was taking notes, and several managers are going to be on probation(in his words, if they so much as look crosseyed at anyone they're gone!). He called me because I have nothing to gain or lose from reporting what was going on, most of what I told him he suspected...and he did hint at just shutting it down to save the trouble with trying to clean it up. And that from him is not an empty threat, he's done it before with other labs(he has 12). He would rather lose money than his reputation that took years to build.

Also the $1.50/hour I gave up-apparently I'm getting it back in 60 days, per the new lab's ops manager(60 day "performance review with raise), because of how much I was willing to give up to work for them.

SQUEE! I is a happi little lab rat Katt!
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

You have permission to purr, not that a Katt ever has to ask a human for anything.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

mine "ask" for food, water, milk, catnip, treats, playtime and belly rubs....oooo and snuggles under the blankies....I recognize the different meows....

and yes my avi is one of them...Athena
                    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-30-2011, 03:28 AM.

Comment

:3
                      yeah, and all you have to figure out now is insurance now. Best of luck...
                      I'm glad you can tell the FormerLab what's all going down-- just to tie everything up with a neat(er) bow.
                      (your kitty is ardorbs!)
                      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        and he did hint at just shutting it down to save the trouble with trying to clean it up. And that from him is not an empty threat, he's done it before with other labs(he has 12). He would rather lose money than his reputation that took years to build.
                        If he is worried about his reputation, maybe he should pay attention to the labs before they screw up and keep them from screwing up instead of only getting involved after it's too late.

Comment

Working...
                        X