X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why won't people stay at work and wait for meeee?!"

Tuesday

7pm Tuesday night, the buzzer goes, and I let a parent in. He has a very sulky looking teenage girl with him, who I recognise from one of my classes.

P: I am here to collect Sulky Girl's phone. It was confiscated earlier today. I have the signed letter here.

He goes to hand me it.

Me: I'm really sorry, but I am afraid I will not be able to get the phone for you. All confiscated items are placed in our safe overnight, and I do not have access to it.

Sulky Girl stamped her feet and made a noise that sounded like "Maaaaaaaarrrr"

P: What?! Well, she needs it back! Who can I speak to so I can get the phone?
    Me: I am the only member of school staff in the building at the moment, all the office staff who have access to the safe will not be back in until tomorrow morning.
    SG: Urrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!
    P: Is there nothing you can do? Nothing at all?
    Me: I cannot get into that safe.
    P: Fine. I guess we will just have to come back tomorrow then!
    Me: Be sure you are here before 4pm, because that is the time they all go home.
    P: Fine.

Wednesday

6pm. He is back. Sulky Girl isn't there.

P: I am here to collect Sulky Girl's phone. It was confiscated yesterday. I have the signed letter here.
    Me: Yes, but I told you that you had to collect the phone before 4pm. It is now 6pm. I cannot get into the safe
    P: What?! Let me speak to someone in charge!
    Me: I am the only person here, besides the evening classes.
    P: Let me speak to one of them then!
    Me: They are not school staff. I am the most senior member of staff here, and I am telling you, I cannot get into that safe.

He stormed out.

Thursday

I went into the office just as the day staff were leaving. I asked if the phone had been collected.

CW: No it hasn't. I could get it out the safe for you, but then that means you will be responsible for it if he doesn't show up.
    Me: In that case, just leave it in there.

The staff all left.

4:15. Oh look! There he is!

P: I am here to collect Sulky Girl's phone. It was confiscated the other day. I have the signed letter here.

I was amazed that this was the third time I had seen him, but he acted like he hadn't seen me before.

Me: It is 4:15pm. The office staff finish at 4pm. I cannot get into the safe. You need to get here before 4pm!
    P: Couldn't they have just stayed a bit longer for me?! I mean, you knew I was going to show up at some point tonight!
    Me: I'm sorry, but they have lives and families to get to. They cannot hang around after they finish work for whenever you feel like showing up!
    P: Fine! Just...fine!!

He stormed out.

Bonus Story

Why do people assume that everyone in the world hates their jobs? I seriously love my job at the moment. I had a tonne of photocopying to do, as well as preparing lots of letters for the registers and memos for the teachers. I was quite happily doing this, while letting people in for evening classes. I was surrounded with paperwork, but I'm a freak and I find sorting out papers relaxing. A sulky old man looked at me.

SOM: Huh! I bet you just love your job! *tuts*
    Me: Yeah, I do actually! Have a really great class!
    SOM: Pfffft!
    Last edited by customersruinmylife; 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM.

I'd hate to think how Sulky Girl's grades are, given how slow the learning curve is in her gene pool.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Reminds me of the customer who demanded I stay until 7pm so she could pick up her car that night. We closed at 5:30. Needless to say, we didn't do it.
      "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I wonder how many more tries it will take this idiot to get there before 4 pm. I'll bet at least 3
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Well, at least he is getting earlier every day - Sulky Girl might get her phone back by next week! Presumably if he was reasonable and polite and apologised for not getting there before the stated time, you *might* have agreed to hold the phone for him, but given his appalling sense of entitlement and crummy attitude, it serves him right to have to drag himself down to the school day after day.

Oh, and no teenager actually *needs* a mobile phone. Wants one, yes. Needs one, no.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
            Well, at least he is getting earlier every day ....
            Anyone want to bet the next time he gets there BEFORE everyone else?

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Lol, maybe he is doing it on purpose. this way it looks like he's trying to get it back, but actually she doesnt have the phone does she?

Comment

And think of this . . . Sulky Girl will probably not want to have to go through this again.

Oh, wait. I forgot where this discussion is taking place.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                  P: Is there nothing you can do? Nothing at all?
                  I can give you newspaper all rolled up so you can smack the whiny little bitch on the nose and teach her some lessons.

Oh, and I can give you advice on teaching your Little Precious about not having her cell phone in places that will get her in trouble, like in the classroom.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                    I can give you newspaper all rolled up so you can smack the whiny little bitch on the nose and teach her some lessons.

Oh, and I can give you advice on teaching your Little Precious about not having her cell phone in places that will get her in trouble, like in the classroom.
                    This. The class room is for learning not texting, btw I love your avie.
                    ......../\
                    ....../__\
                    ..../\...../\
                    ../__\../__\

Comment

Why does the daughter's "name" make me think of The Sulk from 8-Bit Theater? ~_~ *goes off to listen to Cure albums*
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

...And when he got his phone bill for that month, it was $200 less than the month before...

Love, Who?

Comment

Thank you, Sarah V, for the compliment on my avie. I agree 100% about not allowing phones in the classroom. As a tween my daughter does not have a cellphone at all: if she's going somewhere she might potentially need one -- you know, for *emergencies* -- we give her an old one that doesn't have a sim card. It'll still call 911, and a pay phone will still make a collect call. So she doesn't get why her friends have to have their phones grafted to their hands because she's never been allowed to acquire the attitude.

Ben_Who: ! Three or four days of not being able to text... yeah, that sounds about right.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

That's all fine and well if you live in an area that has them. I've seen pay phones disappear one by one in my neck of the woods over the years and couldn't tell you where one is now.
                            Last edited by laborcat; 01-28-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

On the other hand the girl has (hopefully) learned that using her phone in class = several days without it. So, a blessing in disguise? Maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X