This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vandals, oh my!

Several of our soda machines have been vandalized in the last couple days. We aren't sure when they are getting to them, but it's likely at night. Our night security hasn't caught anyone, sadly, and now the majority of the machines are inoperative.

It looks like whoever did the damage was trying to break into the machines to steal the money. Or at least that was our first guess. Now, however, I think they may just be breaking them out of spite since their first attempted break in on 3 machines yielded no money.

Every machine that has been hit has the dollar reader broken, the coin slot busted out, and the power cord cut. The tech that came out to look at the machines said that the bill reader and coin slot are typical targets for someone trying to steal the money. He thinks they cut the power cords out of frustration that they couldn't get anything.

The cool thing was that I got to see what these machines look like on the inside. Both the tech and I were kind of amused at the attempted robbery of the machines since there is no way to access the money from breaking out the front of the machine. A person could break out all the plastic, tear out the bill reader, and bust the coin slot and still not be close to getting any cash. Basically, these machines are built like safes that happen to dispense cold beverages.

We might have to look into installing cameras on our vending areas as this is the third time our machines have been hit in the last 4 years and our vendor obviously doesn't like having to replace parts when this stuff happens. On the upside, these new super machines held up and no money was stolen, unlike the previous times when we had less secure machines.

If they can't afford the expensive cameras, a lot of places sell fake cameras that *look* real for $10-$20 a piece, complete with either a wire that looks like it goes into the wall or an antenna and a little red "recording" light. Mount it on a wall above the machines and people may think twice about messing with them.

Just make sure no one lets out that they're fake. They only work if people think they're real.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      If they can't afford the expensive cameras, a lot of places sell fake cameras that *look* real for $10-$20 a piece, complete with either a wire that looks like it goes into the wall or an antenna and a little red "recording" light. Mount it on a wall above the machines and people may think twice about messing with them.

Just make sure no one lets out that they're fake. They only work if people think they're real.
      Yea, corporate won't let us use not real cameras. It's a good thought though, but also a battle I've already fought and lost. I wouldn't mind more cameras to watch, I'm somewhat amused at the idea of a monitor full of soda machines to stare at.

Comment

LOL! So, what you're saying is that corp says that real cameras are too expensive to install, and you can't use fake cameras, so they'll just suck up the loss from the vandalism?

So much for a work environment supporting creative, cost-saving solutions.

As for a monitor full of soda machines: You could make a really awesome betting game out of that. Which one will they chose?
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Refusing to solve the problem is penny-wise and pound foolish.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Things like that should come out to the public. If corp refuses to do something about vandalism/stealing, that in the end must be payed by the customer, it only serves them right to have the bad publicity.

Comment

Working...
            X