This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SCO Layout

Okay, at my store, we have older SCO machines. This GIS result is pretty similar. And to go with them, we had pretty old software, too. Unfortunately, the manufacturer no longer supported our software, so when it started crashing 2-3 times a day (and bringing the entire SCO down with it), they replaced it with the newer software. However, this new software was made for newer machines (kind of like this other GIS result, but smaller) which are more compact, and meant to be arranged in threes, whereas ours are in pairs.

Furthermore, the system labels for the machines are different than their lane numbers. Now, this is pretty easy to get used to. Lane 1 = #80, Lane 2 = #81, and so on, up to Lane 6 = #85.

The problem comes with how the new software displays the lanes - it assumes they're in threes.

So, here's what I have on the floor, physically:
    5 3 1
    6 4 2

Here's the old monitor layout:
    84 82 80
    85 83 81

And the old handheld layout:
    84 85 82 83 80 81
    Which was odd, but kind of made sense, and you got used to it.

Now, the new monitor layout:
    83 80
    84 81
    85 82

And the new handheld layout:
    83 84 85 80 81 82

It's nest to impossible to keep the lanes on the monitor and the actual physical lanes straight when some of the ones in the front physically are in the back on the monitor, and vice-versa.

Know what I keep expecting to happen? A kid comes in to buy beer as part of an alcohol sting and scans it on Lane 3. #82 lights up on my monitor, so I look up and see an older man on Lane 2 (which is physically the same position as #82 on the monitor, but is actually #81) and clear it off, unknowingly letting the kid through and getting busted when I didn't even realize who it was I was selling to.
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Any chance of putting the numbers on the SCO lines where the cashier can see them? Or maybe a printout next to the monitor with the numbers laid out as they are in reality?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Or a light above the lane that flashes along with the light on the board.

This was not your fault. A confusing system will cause problems even with people who've supposedly gotten used to it. Considering the penalties involved, this *is* a mission-critical set-up, and should be corrected.

Comment

I think they may be trying to make you fail.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Or a light above the lane that flashes along with the light on the board.
          I see these a lot around here.

That system just sucks. A flashing light is the LEAST they could do to make things easier!

Is there any way you or your manager could give feedback on how impractical the new layout is and voice your concerns?
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post

Is there any way you or your manager could give feedback on how impractical the new layout is and voice your concerns?
            I think I would certainly raise this to management as a query asking them to do something about it to ensure no mistakes are made which get the store and employees in trouble.

I don't know how you could do that without management backlash though (either in the form of "so are you admitting you can't do your job?" or something else).
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
            X