This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not what I meant when I said I wanted to get rid of her

Posting this in GWC because it was more annoying than sucky, and now it is just sad. We had a customer who was very high-maintenance and annoying, and I told my CWs I couldn't wait to get rid of her, but now I'm eating my words.

So we had a lady here who had some serious health issues. She was 46, but didn't look younger than 70. She could never remember phone numbers or names or anything else for that matter. She would pay us late, or she would miss a night and have to make it up later. Boss Man actually took pity on her and paid for her first night, and she paid him back later. Housekeeping said that her room was always messy and they didn't like cleaning her room.

Soon, she was completely out of money. She didn't even have enough for a bus ride, and she was in a complete panic. She was trying to call her friend, but couldn't remember the name or number. Finally, she was able to produce a name, which when Googled gave me one of two options. One option was a pastor, which I guessed was the right one. I guessed right.

We were able to coordinate with the pastor's wife to get her room rent caught up and get her a bus ticket so she could go be with her father. We arranged to have Boss Man give her a ride to the bus station and make sure she caught her ride. I told the guest to bring all the ID she had, and hoped it would be enough. (She didn't have any primary ID, but she had a book full of things like expired IDs, her Soc. Sec. card, bills, etc, that I hoped could be put together to become "enough".)

After everything was arranged, I told my CWs how glad I was that we were finally getting rid of her and the burden she was. I'm regretting those words now.

The morning she was supposed to leave (Friday morning) was the morning after I was MOD, so I was staying at the motel. Hubs looked out and asked, "Um...why is there a police SUV out there?"

I called the Front Desk, and was told the news.

CW had called Guest to make sure she was awake and packed to head to the bus station, but had gotten no response. Boss Man went down and knocked on the door. Still no response, and the deadbolt was engaged. They called the police to do a welfare check so they could legally force the door open. When they did, they found Guest naked, on the floor, and unresponsive. They hauled her off in an ambulance.

She'd been in the ICU until this morning, when she passed away.

The pastor's wife just told me the news. She said that at least Guest passed away knowing that her room rent was caught up and that she had a bus ticket to go see her dad. That at least she passed away with some hope, and not completely in a panic.

Guest had left a few items of little significance (blankets, bowls, etc), which we are to dispose of as we see fit.

When I said I couldn't wait to get rid of her, that's not what I meant. I feel like such a b**** now... I just hope and pray that Guest is in a better place now...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Honey, we all know that's totally not what you meant. You were frustrated with the situations she presented, which is normal. I'm sure people understand that. The fact that you feel the way you do now shows you do have compassion and care for other people. Don't believe anything different.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Food Lady is right. Her situation was frustrating and difficult for you, and that's what you wanted to get rid of.

BTW: one suggestion for the items-of-little-significance. Sort them into 'useful' and 'rubbish'. Clean the useful, and donate to the parish of the pastor who was looking after her. He and his wife will have other people like her to care for, some of whom will have even less than she did.

If nothing else, that will make you and the others at the hotel feel a little better about your frustration with her.

* Side note: some things will need small repairs. Any of you who feel a need to do extra 'penance', spend some time doing whichever small repairs you're skilled at.
      Last edited by Seshat; 02-15-2011, 03:48 AM.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'll chime in with the others in saying that we all know you didn't mean for things to happen this way, but I'd remind you to remember this in the future. Considering what all I've been through in life, I try to think first of what others might be going through when they're behaving badly.

I remember once being totally exasperated with a guest at Motel Hell who just could not understand something or other about the way we racked up the charges. I explained it item by item, repeatedly, and I could hear myself letting my frustration show through. I bottled that up and kept on explaining. Finally, she got it... and a little while later her daughter showed up and burst into tears when thanking me for being nice. It turned out that the guest's husband of 50-something years had just passed away and the whole family was in town for the burial.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

kitty, your reaction was perfectly normal and human. Everyone here knows you didn't mean it in seriousness. It had nothing to do with the tragic death of Guest. It's a shame that happened, but it was no one's fault.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

::hugs you::

That's not what you meant, nor what you wanted. You're a good person.

::hugs again::
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
              ::hugs you::

That's not what you meant, nor what you wanted. You're a good person.

::hugs again::
              I second that. Don't beat yourself up over that.

Comment

Yeek, thats tough, did your work offer you guys any sort of grief councelling? It may be worth it if you dont feel 100% about this, even though you did nothing wrong yourself.

Comment

I feel bad for you but I can relate as to how you feel. I'm wondering if it was her illness that made her social skills unacceptable to others. In one breath you won't have to deal with the problems she was laying on you, but you should also be glad that she's no longer suffering either.

Comment

Working...
                  X