Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

So I was told to lie to customers...
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Chairman of the Board

Default So I was told to lie to customers...

Anyone who knows anything about how most game stores work knows thy make most of their money on used games.

Apparently atvmy company used sales have been suffering a bit lately so my managers have decided we are going to start doing things a little differently.

Now if a customer asks if we have a game we are supposed to look for the used version only and give them that price. If we only have it new we are to say we are sold out. If they bring up a case for a new game we are supposed to say it is just a display case and we dont have it. I voiced my concern with this but my managers brushed me off.

I have decided to continue being honest with my customers. If that gets me fired so be it.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Will Work for Bacon

Quote:
Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
Anyone who knows anything about how most game stores work knows thy make most of their money on used games.

Apparently atvmy company used sales have been suffering a bit lately so my managers have decided we are going to start doing things a little differently.

Now if a customer asks if we have a game we are supposed to look for the used version only and give them that price. If we only have it new we are to say we are sold out. If they bring up a case for a new game we are supposed to say it is just a display case and we dont have it. I voiced my concern with this but my managers brushed me off.

I have decided to continue being honest with my customers. If that gets me fired so be it.
I think that's a good idea. I don't always like buying things used: you never know what problems you are buying.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Loanshark IT

So let me get this straight.

If you have the game in both new and used, you are only allowed to sell the used game and turn down the sale if they want it new.

If you have the game only in new, you just outright refuse the sale.

So if you can't sell it used, you don't sell anything at all.

Did I miss anything?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:04 AM
Area Manager

Used PC games don't work. The game itself is worthless, its the product key that allows you to play the game. No product key, no gameplay.

Also, I <3 Steam, even though it pillages my wallet on a regular yet random basis.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 AM
The Christmas Tree Ninja!

Quote:
Quoth Hyndis View Post
Used PC games don't work. The game itself is worthless, its the product key that allows you to play the game. No product key, no gameplay.

Also, I <3 Steam, even though it pillages my wallet on a regular yet random basis.
Depends on the game. I bought Neverwinter Nights Diamond on a secondhand basis and the product key still worked for me. The Sims expansions? It was a case of hit and miss.

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Front End Supervisor

Yeah, it sounds like your management is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.

While stores MIGHT make the highest profit from used, only a total moron who has been huffing spray paint would decide to lie about having a product in stock to try to force customers to buy used when its available as new and worth a lot more money in the sale as such.

That said, I would NEVER buy used software. Console games, sure. But PC software that can be pirated and run off the legit CD Key leaving me with a nice set of coasters? I don't think so.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Has had too many jobs

So..they would rather get no sales then sale used? Man if they dislike money so much, let me run the store. I LIKE money.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Moderated Poster

I generally refuse to buy used games, have had WAY to many problems, get half way through and find out that little scratch that looks like it won't harm a thing, is suddenly a big deal. Also, they don't give you enough for them. More often I trade and borrow of friends, or don't play games, not enough time.

I guess I can understand trying to pushed used games, instead of the new ones but.... not out right refusing to sell a new one. that just gonna get plenty of bad PR. and NO SALES of any sort

Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
\_(ツ)_/

It's probably for the best I'm not a gamer.

Your employer is utterly dishonest. I'm sorry. And I thought I had it bad with some of the upselling and EPP-pimping we're expected to do at the swamp.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Turning trees into files

Methinks an anonymous call to corporate is in order.

I have bought a number of used games off eBay and half.com and all worked well, but I've never bought a used game from CrazedClerk's employer.
Document everything
CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect
Closed Thread