Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

ATTENTION!! (with regards to violence)
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Lunatic posing as normal!

Exclamation ATTENTION!! (with regards to violence)

We have had a lot of new members lately, but there has also been a sudden disturbing trend among the standing members as well, so I think a reminder is in order.
We do not condone violence to our customers, on or off duty, nor do we condone violence to our co-workers or managers. This includes physical as well as threats.

Please take time to familiarize yourself with the rules again.

We have had to do a lot of edits, and there have been some 'newbie' posts that we were not able to approve, because they contained violent situations, or threats of violence.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Call Center Monkey

I suppose I am fortunate in that I've never seen a physical confrontation at work, the closest I saw was some nut who threw his store discount card at my manager.

I tend to believe that violence isn't really something to make light of.

However I am reminded of Kusnangi's thread about being assaulted at work. So is it safe to say that if WE are involved in an altercation with a customer or co-worker we can post about it, so long as we don't make a threat of retaliation in any form?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Just some guy

Generally speaking, go with the law of the land (UK or US). We don't mind self-defence to protect yourself from harm, but if it's threatening customers (counted as assault, and we don't like it done to us) or attacking them physically (as before), then it's a major no-no.

Rapscallion

Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Historically Inaccurate Mod

Quote:
Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
So is it safe to say that if WE are involved in an altercation with a customer or co-worker we can post about it, so long as we don't make a threat of retaliation in any form?
Of course. You are posting about a (very) sucky customer at work. That is openly encouraged by everyone here. But if you threaten to rip off his arm and beat him with the messy end-that's where we draw the line.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM a moderator. That's what we're here for.

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Stuff Do'er

I'm a bit of a hippy - make love not war, etc etc. The worst I'll probably ever do to a customer is wish upon them the fleas of a thousand camels. Or that they get audited by SARS (the South African Revenue Service - unfortunate, I know!).

Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
However I am reminded of Kusnangi's thread about being assaulted at work.
Well, I have a strong hunch it is exactly because of that thread that a lot of the newer members have assumed we condone violence.

Being assaulted by customers is the exception rather than the rule, and a story as fantastic as Kusanagi's certainly doesn't happen on a daily basis.

Should a situation arise where a person is attacked, and there is no other choice but to fight back, that is a different thing altogether.
All we would ask is, if you do post about it, don't glorify the violence.

What we have a concern about is a customer being annoying and having a member think it's OK to threaten them with physical harm, or actually do something violent in retaliation.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Call Center Monkey

Quote:
Quoth Ree View Post
Should a situation arise where a person is attacked, and there is no other choice but to fight back, that is a different thing altogether.
All we would ask is, if you do post about it, don't glorify the violence.
I hadn't thought about that too much but it makes sense. I mean god I make 7.85 an hour, NOTHING job related is worth risking my life over and I don't seen any benefit in risking my personal safety by provoking a customer. Not to mention it would likely result in me being fired and a lawsuit against the company. However, IF someone presents an immediate threat to me and I must act in self defense, I will.

BUT...attacking someone because you THINK they are going to attack you is not self defense, so there's a fine line there.

Last edited by Ree; 02-08-2007 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
IF someone presents an immediate threat to me and I must act in self defense, I will.
That would be your choice, then, and as long as you don't come here making a post to brag about how you took down some customer who tried to attack you, and expect high fives and a pat on the back from all the members, then it's a choice you have to live with.

I make no judgments on it IF it happens, as long as it stays off this site.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Sold Out

I feel as if i should add that throwaway comments about violence aren't necessary. I recently posted something where I added a mental comment on what i would like to have done to someone. Saying you want to kick someone's ass really doesn't add anything to your post. It really doesn't add anything to your machismo either...

Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Suckway Slave...still

So, then, where do , , , and fall into all this?

What I mean to say is, is it still alright to describe pretend violence against customers, etc. if it's obvious we're kidding? I don't pretend to speak for others, but I see a big distinction between joking about creative violence and actually saying we want to do it.