This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review time! Help!!

Ok, you can't really help me since you don't really know me but I need to vent cuz I don't know what to say.

I have to turn in my self-evaluation form on the 8th. I don't know how to answer some of the questions, though. In the store they do reviews/raises in October. I transferred to the Distribution Center in July, so my last formal review was October of 2005. The schedule at the DC is different, so I am due for a raise in April, so they are starting reviews now.

Question 1: Consider your 2006 objectives or major work assignments and identify significant accomplishments. Now I suppose I can count my getting this job in the first place as one. And I've had some projects that I can use, so this question isn't too hard.

Question 2: Review your progress toward company initiatives and personal goals which were set in 2006, indicating the results which were achieved and those which were not. Now, when I transferred, I did not have any "goal setting" type discussions with anyone. And whatever goals were set at my last review (2005) no longer apply, since that was in the store, in a completely different position, and a job transfer was not even on the horizon at that point. I suppose I could relate any progress toward my goals that were set for the store before I transferred, especially since I used to work with my boss in a different store so he knows what that position entails. But to be honest, I'm not sure I even remember what those goals were. Or if I really made any progress towards them. In light of some things that happened at the store last year, there was a stretch where I just wanted out and really didn't care, so I did my job but not much extra.

Question 3: Critique areas of your own performance that could have been better executed and in need of improvement. I just hate this question. And I suppose it would not be in my best interest to list "read less Customers Suck at work," would it?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    Question 2: Review your progress toward company initiatives and personal goals which were set in 2006, indicating the results which were achieved and those which were not. Now, when I transferred, I did not have any "goal setting" type discussions with anyone. And whatever goals were set at my last review (2005) no longer apply, since that was in the store, in a completely different position, and a job transfer was not even on the horizon at that point. I suppose I could relate any progress toward my goals that were set for the store before I transferred, especially since I used to work with my boss in a different store so he knows what that position entails. But to be honest, I'm not sure I even remember what those goals were.
    You can always try "I did not have a formal goal-setting at this store in 2006. However, what I did for the store was [xxxxx], and my personal goals were [xxxxx]."

Question 3: Critique areas of your own performance that could have been better executed and in need of improvement. I just hate this question. And I suppose it would not be in my best interest to list "read less Customers Suck at work," would it?
    No, probably not. If your boss is nice, you might want to ask him what he thinks will be acceptable. And yeah, it is a stupid question. Probably, if you put something in your personal goals that you didn't make fully, turn that into your "flaws" that you're talking about.

Comment

I was never lucky enough to do a self review, just a prepared performance review from the manager. These reviews are done once annually and used to determined what type of raise you are entitled to. In my case they are out of 100.

I don't want to reveal my score, but I will say I was ONE POINT short of a bigger raise. I often wonder if I actually deserved the score I got or if they just shaved me down one point to save a few bucks...

Comment

For option three, you could turn it into a major plus by reading more CS, actually.

*ahem* "I plan to benchmark myself more against other workes in similar positions by analysing their performance in difficult situations and ascertaining if any alternatives they have to offer could benefit my employer."

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          "I plan to benchmark myself more against other workers in similar positions by analysing their performance in difficult situations and ascertaining if any alternatives they have to offer could benefit my employer."

Rapscallion
          That's just beautiful and true.

Comment

Thanks Raps, that's, um, helpful . Of course, I don't actually work with customers here, unless you count the publishers and book distributors, and I don't really have much direct contact with them either. If they do contact me, they just get referred to the vendor manager.

Comment

I hate this question too, though I found out a while ago a good way to answer without copping out. Tell them you think it would be good to get more knowledge of your company's product, or to take seminars in time management, interpersonal communication, etc. You're giving a solid answer without tagging yourself with any faults.

Comment

I'm so glad I don't have to do that goal setting crap any more. My biggest goal every year has always been, "Don't kill any students this year." So far, I've been able to reach it. Funny, but my boss didn't like it when I wanted to put that down as a formal goal. Sorry, but after 18 years doing the same thing (tutoring math and accounting for the college) there's not a lot left to do goal-wise. Now that "I are a real teachur" I don't have to put up with....let's just say, "that which I did."

And yes, I'm a LOT happier now!
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

<bragging>
                  I had my annual review today, out of nowhere. I was expecting it to go kinda poorly since I didn't feel like I performed as well as I could have. Apparently I'm overly critical of myself. I got a very good review and the max raise I could get under company guidelines.
                  </bragging>

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    <bragging>
                    I had my annual review today, out of nowhere. I was expecting it to go kinda poorly since I didn't feel like I performed as well as I could have. Apparently I'm overly critical of myself. I got a very good review and the max raise I could get under company guidelines.
                    </bragging>
                    Yeah, I'm hoping for a good review. I know I've taken on my share of projects, one of which I was actually given the option of taking over from someone who moved to a different department. I also have a (probably futile) hope that the raise guidelines are higher than for store employees. I've gotta write this thing tonight. But I have some ideas....

-ams-

Comment

For the second one, does your company have a mission statement that you can dig up somewhere? You could relate how well you performed that, and how your personal goals with the company are in line with the mission statement?

The third one would be hard for me to do as well! I'm very critical of myself -- if I were to give an honest answer to a question like that, it would be extremely long and make me look very bad. Objectively, I know I don't deserve the level of self-criticism that I tend towards, but I'm paranoid about getting lazy and slipping up.

I think the 'increased knowledge of company product' suggestion is a great one. Expressing a desire for more education also might actually result in you GETTING more education, which would be great for your future prospects.

Comment

OK, well, it's done. Luckily the form doesn't have a lot of space to write...one of my criticisms was that I tend to go overtime cuz I lose track of time, so I need to manage my time better.

Don't know when the actual face to face with my boss is, but when I started HR told me that I'll be due for a raise in April, so it might be a few weeks.

Thanks for suggestions, everyone!

Comment

Our reviews are coming up... They are supposed to be sometime in Feb, and we were supposed to get the pages we are to complete over 2 weeks ago... I just want them to be over with for this year!!!

We haven't even veen given the pages we need to complete, and we are nearly halfway through Feb!

Good luck with the face to face!

Comment

Working...
                          X