This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head, meet Desk

So the "why does it cost more just because it's bigger" lady from this thread is back again.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=76038

So she got back to me and let me know to go ahead and order the fabric and to send her a bill for $half.

I ordered the fabric, she sent her payment and I promptly got to work. When I finished the quilt top, I emailed her photos and gave her an updated timeline as to when the quilt would be finished, gently reminding her that the $otherhalf would be due when I finished the quilt.

And she flipped out. She told me that the top looked beautiful, just as she pictured/I told her it would look. But she repeated over and over that $half payment was supposed to be the total for the whole thing. She threatened to report me to Etsy and Paypal for 'ripping her off' and 'bait and switch'.

I guess she thought I'd just cave or something, I dunno.

I responded that I had records of all our emails back and forth about her order and I'd happily forward them to both Etsy and Paypal so that we could settle the issue.

She responding saying that she doesn't want the quilt anymore and to refund her money.

Since the theme/design of the quilt was generic enough, I went ahead and refunded her.

A week later I got another message from her asking if I had a larger quilt similar to 'Same quilt she wanted a larger size of in the first place'. I responded that I did, however it wasn't finished, and that it would cost 'same amount I quoted you earlier plus a difficult customer fee'.

I guess she thought that I'd be selling it for less or forgotten all about her earlier.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

OMG. I swear some people are in their own dimensions and have never actually set foot in our reality.

BLOCK!
    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I'm glad to see you added the 'difficult customer fee'. Any response from her yet?

Comment

No, It's going to take about a month for me to finish the quilt, so I'll have to see what happens when I actually list it for sale.

I guess she had a change of heart after finding out that I wasn't going to cave to her demands plus I didn't forget who she was when she tried to commission me again. The worst thing about it, is that she's supposedly commissioning this quilt for her son, who loved the original small one I made. I wonder if he already knows that mom is flaky?

I do so much enjoy having a difficult customer fee.

Comment

And I do so love reading about self-employed folks telling bratty customers there is a difficult customer fee.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Letting somebody know about the difficult customer fee is the best part. I had one client (actually working for him right now) who thought he could get out of it because he was cute. Apparently, I'm the only person he knows who'll take his design ideas and make them for any money. He tried to do without me last year. This year, I told him 100% of estimated costs and time up front with a bill due of anything extra before he gets anything. If he doesn't pay the extra, I have some very cool new costumes and pieces to sell.
            "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Whenever I read these posts I become so very envious. first, because you all get to have difficult customer fees and the like. Second, because my crafty skills are not up to par with my imagination of stuff I want to make. The gap between my plans and my skills is very large indeed.

Anyway, I love that she thought you would simply forget her and sell it to her for cheap.
              Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
              Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                I do so much enjoy having a difficult customer fee.
                Ah yes, Asshole Tax. If only every business would charge this, maybe it would curtail the SC instances somewhat >_> ... Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I don't want to start selling any jewelry online, because I know that I'll get some sort of SC that'll go postal on the price. I use stuff that's not really overly expensive, but it DOES add up plus the time/effort putting into the pieces.

If I ever do, using 'difficult customer tax' sounds like a good idea.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Right. It's why I wait 'til I have a good amount of money to do anything with buying jewelry/whatever.

I know I will be picky, and I'm usually happy to pay a "difficult customer" fee.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Why did you refund the 50%?

That was a deposit paid to ensure your work, if she refused to pay the remaining 50%, that does not entitle her to her first 50% back.

Comment

Well, I just made the decision to "fire" her, basically. The quilt she wanted made was cars and traffic signs, and I know it will be easy enough for me to sell it to someone else. It wasn't like a custom applique of some little known tv show character or anything.

Now because she's insulted my work if she does want this quilt, she'll have to pay a difficult customer fee on top of the regular price.

Sometimes people don't learn to play nice until you get them in the wallet, and even then sometimes they still don't learn.

Comment

I'll admit, I'm still eagerly awaiting the day I get to be everything my managers in retail weren't when I get a difficult customer, like adding the "difficult customer fee" or firing someone from my business for being a jerk. So far I've just had one person who went totally deadbeat on the money she promised to pay after giving excuses (and after paying other people on Etsy after she'd already committed to pay me), and I haven't seen them since so there's no cathartic fees to be added on there. Everyone else I've dealt with has been neutral at the worst and an absolute peach at the best. I'll just consider myself lucky for now.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                            A week later I got another message from her asking if I had a larger quilt similar to 'Same quilt she wanted a larger size of in the first place'. I responded that I did, however it wasn't finished, and that it would cost 'same amount I quoted you earlier plus a difficult customer fee'.

I guess she thought that I'd be selling it for less or forgotten all about her earlier.
                            Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Ah yes, Asshole Tax. If only every business would charge this, maybe it would curtail the SC instances somewhat >_> ... Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
                            Outstanding. Even better that you get to tell them upfront what the cost is for, instead of having to meekly accept the wasted time and abuse.
                            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I never tell them it's a difficult customer fee...yikes! No I am always professional with my clients.

For example the first quote was $175. Then when she cancelled and then contacted me again, I quoted her $195. If she presses the issue that the quote price is higher I'll tell her it's a 'reservation fee'. I don't go up front and tell them I'm charging more because they're a jerk. I think that's bad form.

I try my best to be professional. You insult me or my work, then I will nicely tell you to shop somewhere else. Then I go and write it up here so we can all point and laugh. If you're nice to me, then I will bend over backwards to help you, or give you faster shipping or free pillowcases.

Comment

Working...
                              X