Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you can't hear the response....(LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you can't hear the response....(LONG)

Okay, I have no problem with elderly people, first off. I should say that right off the bat. My grandparents are among my favorite people, and I used to volunteer in a retirement home as a companion for the old ladies.

But, when you call on a phone with a question, it's always a good idea to make sure you listen to the person you're talking to. Or, at least, that you can hear them. I've gotten sons and daughters, or neighbors to call for their elderly relatives, friends, or neighbors. The truth is, it's hard to hear all the time over the phone, even if you have perfect hearing. Connections can be bad, etc. But this time, the connection was perfectly clear...

Me: PW_Elle
    ODL: Old Deaf Lady

Me: City of _______________ Public Works, how can I help you?
    ODL: *shouting* Is this the trash company?
    Me: *holds the phone away from my ear and turns down the earpiece volume* Yes it is, how can I help you?
    ODL: *still shouting* What?
    Me *more slowly* Yes, how can I help you?
    ODL: *still shouting, basically shouts for the entire convo* I live at ______________ Apartments, and the dumpster has always been picked up on Tuesday and Friday. Now they're coming on Thursday. Did it change?
    Me: I'm not sure. It would only change if your apartment manager called it in. Have you checked with them?
    ODL: What? You're going to check?
    Me: Not yet, ma'am. I asked you if you had checked with your apartment manager.
    ODL: What?
    Me: Ma'am, if you have the address of the container, I can look it up and tell you what days the trash service comes.
    Me: What's the address?
    ODL: Well, there's a bunch of apartments and they all use the same dumpster. 1405, 1407, 1409, 1411, 1413 *continues on*
    Me: Ma'am. I understand that this is an apartment complex. But unless I know which building the dumpster is billed to, I can't enter that into the computer system to check.
    ODL: You're going to check?
    Me: Ma'am, I can't unless I have the address of the container.
    ODL: I just gave you a list of addresses.
    Me: You gave me the list of addresses that use the container. I still can't look it up until I have address the container is billed to.
    ODL: Well, my address is ___________________________.
    Me: *enters it in* I'm not showing service at that address. I have to have the address the container is billed to.
    ODL: Well I don't know what you want from me!
    Me: It would probably be more helpful for you to contact your apartment manager to find out when your service is scheduled for.
    ODL: Well, what's their number?
    Me: I don't know what your apartment manager's number is. That's not information I have access to.
    Me: *repeats, more slowly*
    ODL: *moment of silence* My apartment manager has nothing to do with this!
    Me: Actually, ma'am, he does. Unless he called to change service, the days would not have changed.
    ODL: Well, you shouldn't change days on us! We have been waiting till Thursday to put our trash out and now it's sitting in the dumpster until Tuesday. (side note - why would she care??? it's not like it's in her house)
    Me: *sigh* Ma'am, I can assure you that the days have not changed unless your apartment manager called us to change them.
    ODL: You're going to call him?
    Me: No, ma'am, I'm suggesting you call him to double check your days of service.
    Me: *repeats information, more slowly*
    ODL: Well, you're no help. How come you can't look it up?
    Me: Ma'am, I have already explained that if I don't have the address the container is billed to, it is impossible for me to enter it into my computer system. Please contact your apartment manager.
    ODL: Well, he's not awake yet, he wakes up at 11:00am.
    Me: Ma'am, unless I have that billing address there is nothing I can do for you.
    ODL: Well, you're no help. Thanks for nothing.
    *click*

I got off the phone, and my coworker started applauding. He said that he would have hung up on her long before I did, and he commended me for my patience.
    You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

"I hope you get hit by a bus and beaten by hockey-stick-wieldling pygmies." - IMA

Yet another perfect example of the elderly completely losing their sense of perspective in old age. Why would she care when the dumpster is emptied? Is she worried about what happens to her trash when it gets to the landfill, too?
    I also love my grandparents...but when they start worrying about stupid crap like that, I tell them they need to find themselves a hobby.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

My grandmother obsesses about the TV being on. Not just hers, but whatever house she's at. "The TV's on! Nobody's watching it! Should we turn it off? You want me to turn it off?" (insert about 20 seconds or so of dead air.) "The TV's on! Nobody's watching it!"

You get the idea. Remember Dorie from Finding Nemo? Remember how she had no memory? Well that's my grandmother. And I'm not exaggerating. Add to that that she doesn't listen to you anyway, and you can sort of grasp the situation.

Pass the sherry.

Comment

One time, someone asked me to turn my phone down because apparently . . . I was too loud on their end. Thing is, is that I wasn't any louder or quieter. Their question kinda threw me for a loop. I had to tell them that it had nothing to do with my phone, I could turn my phone all the way down and it wouldn't make any difference to them (apparently they've never worked around phones before . . .).
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Remember Dorie from Finding Nemo?
          "A boat? I've seen a boat!... mmm... This way! It went this way!"
          /sorry
          //not really
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I wonder if that was the same little old lady who called me today wanting me to explain Costco's end of year printout for her meds. Why did she call me and not Costco? Well, because she wants to start filling with us.

It took me about 10 minutes before she'd believe me that I had no idea what Costco's printouts looked like, so I'd be absolutely no help whatsoever for her.

Comment

Working...
            X