Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just...don't buy furniture from us, okay?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just...don't buy furniture from us, okay?

I didn't deal with this one (yay for filling in for the receiving clerk and thus getting to spend the day in her office :-D), but I sure heard about it.

Woman comes in, hunts down somebody on the floor, tells her she bought an armoire from one of our bedroom furniture collections. She says it took her husband, who's an engineer and engineers are never wrong , needed two hours to put it together and it still didn't go together right. Or something.

So, exhibiting more dick than a Ron Jeremy movie, she tells the floor person "You will get me another one." Floor person says we can't, because we happen to be out of stock on that particular armoire. The SC's demands escalate: "You will sell me the display." Floor person says she can't because we don't sell furniture displays until they go on clearance and the display is the last one left. Not only that, but we don't technically own the display--the manufacturer does, but they let us sell the displays when they go on clearance.

SC commands "You WILL get me a manager." Which floor person does, and unfortunately spinelessness carries the day, because I saw the display armoire up by the checkouts on a flatbed.

The SC's attitude notwithstanding, she may have had a point about the armoire being a piece of junk. So why does she want another one? Our furniture is JUNK. It's about the most profitable department on my side of the store, which should tell you something. It's all particleboard with veneers attached, or really cheap fabrics and stuffings, and it goes through lots of wear and tear passing through many different sets of hands on its way from the factory to the distribution center to the store. And even if the wood parts are okay, the workers at these factories often drill the holes wrong or forget to load all the necessary hardware into the box.

Honestly, I would go with something from IKEA before buying furniture from my store. Their furniture looks more sturdily built, and the price is comparable. Only problem is the closest one is three hours away from me.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

IKEA actually puts decent warranties on a lot of their stuff.

One of their more recognisable chairs, for example, gets a 25-year guarantee. Not bad for something effectively made of plywood and held together by a couple of bolts which are tightened by the customer.

Comment

what was she trying to use Jedi mind tricks?!?!
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

This isn't the crap you're looking for.

Quoth Elspeth View Post
        Apparently, it worked.

Comment

Quoth Stryker One View Post
          Apparently, it worked.
          Why do the SCs get force powers?!?!?!? *stamps foot* I would use them for mostly good. Just lightly force chock the odd agent that is being stupid and maybe a coworker.

But that is it everything else would be light and good. *crosses heart*
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I hate the ones who call in and tell me what I WILL do. I'm supposed to be the one telling them what I WILL do. If I CAN do what they want, fine, it's no skin off my nose and no money out of my wallet. But, for example, I WILL NOT give you the name and number of the vendor for your item that broke (even if I knew who they were) nor WILL I call them myself and demand that they send a replacement item to you overnight. You may have a valid issue - though I have a hard time believing it's the end of the world - but we have policies and procedures just like everybody else. Get in line, jerk!
            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
              Remember, those only work on the weak minded. You know, like spineless managers....
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                Remember, those only work on the weak minded. You know, like spineless managers....
                Ohhh, Okay. It's a Jedi mindless trick, then?
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  IKEA actually puts decent warranties on a lot of their stuff.

One of their more recognisable chairs, for example, gets a 25-year guarantee. Not bad for something effectively made of plywood and held together by a couple of bolts which are tightened by the customer.
                  Yeah, i was actually surprised to see how nice their stuff can be.
                  sis was given a table that she told me was ikea. not only is it beautiful and durable... the glass in the center goes *perfectly* with the paint trim on their dining room walls. couldn't find a better fitting table if you tried.

and hey... i know it sucks that the manager is spineless but... it's best to let him or her do that, vs getting in trouble for doing it yourself.

Comment

The Sucktomer from Irv's post-- or at least her experience-- brought to mind something that happened to me last month when I went out to St. Louis for my sister's law school graduation.

I came along for several reasons:

1-- it was expected of me. Never mind that Sis couldn't come to my college graduation.

2-- Sis was moving back home so she could take the bar in Virginia, so we had to help her pack up her apartment. I was brought to help with this.

3-- my great-aunt F (whom we were staying with while out there) needed help putting together an entertainment unit in her den.

So one of the days I was out there was spent trying to put this monstrosity together. After an hour and a half of careful work-- reading the instructions and manual as I'm going along-- I find out that I somehow had one piece put on backwards. So I had to take the whole thing apart and start over.

Hour and a half later, it's still not going together properly, and I swear I'm going by EXACTLY what the diagrams are telling me to do. Great-Aunt F takes pity on me and tells me to just disassemble it and lay it aside, she'll take it back and see what's wrong with it.

The week after, once I'm back home, Mom is talking with Great-Aunt F and finds out that one of the pieces of the unit I'd been trying to assemble had had its holes drilled in wrong. So nothing I could have done would have made it work. I don't know how polite Great-Aunt F was when she returned/exchanged it. I'd like to say she was polite about it, but I know how my Great-Aunt F and her sisters were like. (Then again, this was G-A F not G-A C, who is... infamous in our family, shall we say.)
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

How much will you bet her husband WAS actually putting it together wrong!

Do it yourself furniture can be pretty nice though. Our house is filled with bookcases and cabinets from target, wal mart, etc. One has survived about 8-moves. I think it has to do with how tightly you put it together and how careful you are with it. You just have to have the touch.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I have a few DIY pieces of furniture -- hell, I'm sitting on one right now that I assembled. It's nice, it was cheap, and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Some assembly IS a pain in the ass, but sometimes it boil down between either user stupidity or there's some sort of defect.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Look, I keep seeing folks referencing SC as using the Jedi mind trick, and I think it is just dumb!

...SCs are obviously Sith, not Jedi.....

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            Do it yourself furniture can be pretty nice though. Our house is filled with bookcases and cabinets from target, wal mart, etc. One has survived about 8-moves. I think it has to do with how tightly you put it together and how careful you are with it. You just have to have the touch.
                            Nearly all of my furniture came from IKEA. Most of it went together without major issues. The exception, was that one of the bookcases in my office isn't quite "square." Either one, or both of the sides are warped...so the shelves don't quite sit on the pegs. Even so, everything stayed put...until suddenly, all 4 shelves came crashing down That was it--I took all of my books of the other ones, drilled a crapload of holes, and screwed everything together...and bolted the damn thing to the wall. Now that thing's not going anywhere
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

These days they tend to provide accessories for bolting shelves to the wall anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X