Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Elementary School Tech Monkey

Quote:
Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
Furthermore, the remote desktop connection doesn't work with Mac.
Uh, actually it does.

Yeah, I know you can't support it, but it does work.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Hall Monitor

MP - Good point, but the OP was talking about remoting *into* a Mac from a Windows machine, not vice-versa. ^_^

If the company allows it, you could always use a web-based service like LogMeIn. I've used it to remote into both Win and Mac from Windows, it works just fine, and the basic version is free (basic = no sound (I think), no Flash, no direct file transfers between the two systems (that's why I have an FTP server dammit), just straight-up "take over the Desktop/comp", but it functions as if you were sitting there at their comp otherwise). The only thing you don't get to see (unless they've fixed it recently) are the UAC popups in Vista/7 -- If those show up, you just get a static (unchanging, not "snow") screen until the user clicks it away.

"I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are!" - Balorio
"Normal is an illusion. What's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." - attr. to Morticia Addams

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Cubicle Zombie

EricKei - It's the opposite. Remoting into a work Windows PC from the user's Mac at home.

The company's remote access site utilizes Windows's RDP, which Mac natively doesn't have installed on their machines.

The company doesn't want us wasting 15+ mins of time on the phone trying to tell a novice user how to install 2nd?/3rd? party software (From a Mac perspective) to get them to remote into their work machine. Especially since we don't have Macs on our desks to try to work with and we can't remote into their Macs to help them.

The company is anti-everything but Windows support for the most part.

LogMeIn wouldn't be a viable solution because the company is for-profit and there's something in their TOS that states if it's being used for business purposes, you have to pay for a license. Company won't buy LMI licences. Especially since the company has about 20-30k people employed.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Hall Monitor

My bad. From your initial post, I thought you were using a PC. Me be confoozled lol

"I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are!" - Balorio
"Normal is an illusion. What's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." - attr. to Morticia Addams
Closed Thread