X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza fries/cheese fries

Is this a Wisconsin thing?

I'm not talking about french fries covered in cheese/marinara sauce/etc. The pizza fries/cheese fries I used to be able to get in Wisconsin were pizza crust, some kind of garlic-y sauce, cheese, and dried herbs. It was like a cheese pizza with no marinara sauce on the crust, instead it had some kind of butter-garlic sauce. And no toppings besides cheese. Usually cut into strips or "fries" and served with marinara sauce to dip in.

Whenever I do a search for pizza fries or cheese fries, I always come up with french fries covered in pizza toppings, which isn't at all what I knew pizza fries as in Wisconsin. :x It must be a northern thing? Does anyone have a recipe for these? I'm making pizza tonight with homemade dough and I might take some dough and just try covering it with melted butter, garlic powder, mozzarella, and dried herbs and see what happens.

It might just be. This is the first I've heard of this. Sounds yummy, though

Comment

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,...228198,00.html by any chance?
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I saw that recipe too, Seraph, which is what made me think to use butter and garlic powder on my pizza dough tonight. (that's the only recipe I've found that even resembles what I'm talking about.) I'm not sure if that's it but we'll find out tonight!

Comment

The pizza place I used to work at has breadsticks that are like that.

Now I want breadsticks
          Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
            I saw that recipe too, Seraph, which is what made me think to use butter and garlic powder on my pizza dough tonight. (that's the only recipe I've found that even resembles what I'm talking about.) I'm not sure if that's it but we'll find out tonight!
            Definitely let me know, because darn it sounds tasty! I saw the website of the restaurant you must've been to.....made my mouth water hardcore, LOL.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
              The pizza place I used to work at has breadsticks that are like that.

Now I want breadsticks
              That's what I was thinking. There are a number of pizza places that do bread sticks/cheese bread sticks, and if they are a pizza place, it's likely just pizza dough. It should be noted that most of these places are fast food pizza (papa johns and such)

And yes, now I really want that....

Comment

They're definitely not cheesy breadsticks, at least not the kind you'd get from Papa John's, Dominos, or Pizza Hut. Those are usually big and fluffy, the cheese fries I remember are thin and crispy, like a thin crust pizza.

Comment

There is a place around here that makes them...soooo yummy.

Comment

*has a brainstorm*

Try searching for "garlic bites" or "cheesy garlic bites" or "garlic bites with cheese." I know exactly what you are talking about; the pizza places where I went to college had them, and that's what they were called there. This was in Hamden, CT (go Quinnipiac! ).
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

OMG those sound amazing. I must get to Wisconsin. For that and the cheese. Oh cheese...yummmm
                      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I've never heard of those being a "wisconsin" thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a brandy old-fashioned to get back to.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Never heard of pizza/cheese fries but that sounds yummy! Though I have to say the loaded waffle fries at Friendly's are AWESOME!!!
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Yeah, they look more or less like those garlic fingers, although the ones I remember don't use naan. I made pizza dough tonight and one piece of it I made into cheese fries. I melted about 3 tablespoons of butter and added some garlic powder, onion powder, salt (since I use unsalted butter) and then brushed that onto the rolled-out dough. Then topped it generously with shredded cheese (I used an Italian 4 cheese blend) and then with a little dried oregano and dried thyme. Baked at 500 for about 9 minutes and it was pretty close to what I remember! Although next time I will roll my dough out thinner, I thought I had it pretty thin but it puffed up during baking and the fries were a little chewy as opposed to crispy, which is how I remember them.

Comment

cheese fries success yet?

Hi!
                              I just read your post and it was exactly the question I have - except i had the cheese fries at Carbones in MN. I'm wondering if you've tried again? I think I came pretty close last nite. Started with roll of pillsbury pizza dough (couldn't find a dry mix at store), rolled out really thin, prebaked 5 min? at 400... (next time I'll bake crust longer, as when I added the cheese, it melted quickly and crust wasn't crispy yet.) once crust baked, spread on melted butter and garlic and covered with pizza type mixture of shredded cheese and baked at 400 I think and watched it. Maybe 6-8 minutes? My girlfriend suggested broiling for last few minutes - not sure I'd do that next time. I had poked holes in dough with fork, but parts of dough still bubbled up. They did tast pretty darn good tho!!

Comment

Working...
                              X