Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Me

Ok, I did get paid today. The COO was actually very nice and sent out a wonderful letter to the entire company. The company has also given everyone working for the company a weeks paid vacation for the trouble that we can take any time after October 1, 2011.

I'm still pissed, but I do feel mildly better.

I spent all morning looking and applying for jobs over the net, plus updating my resume. Needed a break by noon, but I'll be doing it again tomorrow.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Autore e lettore di Tarocchi.

Call the labor board. It is forbidden to not pay your workers. Work without pay is slavery, and they cannot withhold your wages from you. Slavery violates the thirteenth amendment. So call the labor board. It doesn't matter that they paid you finally, because if they did it once, they'll do it again. With no form of restitution.

Call them. It's the only way to prevent this from happening again.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Soda slinger

Quote:
Quoth Moirae View Post
Ok, I did get paid today. The COO was actually very nice and sent out a wonderful letter to the entire company. The company has also given everyone working for the company a weeks paid vacation for the trouble that we can take any time after October 1, 2011.

I'm still pissed, but I do feel mildly better.

I spent all morning looking and applying for jobs over the net, plus updating my resume. Needed a break by noon, but I'll be doing it again tomorrow.
Am i the only one what finds it suspicious that you can't use it until after 1 Oct? A reward like that is worthless if the company folds after all.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Me

Quote:
Quoth Javarod View Post
Am i the only one what finds it suspicious that you can't use it until after 1 Oct? A reward like that is worthless if the company folds after all.
Yeah, I do too. But if I go to the labor board, then I'll probably be fired. I imagine they're just looking for reasons right now, and we need the money. I'm trying to find another job. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying crap if I have to call off, or move a shift, or anything else for an interview. I'm out of here asap.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Will Work for Bacon

Quote:
Quoth Kristev View Post
Call the labor board. It is forbidden to not pay your workers. Work without pay is slavery, and they cannot withhold your wages from you. Slavery violates the thirteenth amendment. So call the labor board. It doesn't matter that they paid you finally, because if they did it once, they'll do it again. With no form of restitution.

Call them. It's the only way to prevent this from happening again.
It's not slavery unless they are holding a gun to your head to keep you at work, and unless they try to tell you that you are no longer a free person and they can sell your labor to someone else without your consent and no you can't quit because you're now property.

All the 13th amendment does is keep people from owning other people as legal property that can be bought and sold.

Failing to pay someone is breech of contract, not slavery. There's nothing to keep the employee from walking away.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Chairman of the Board

Glad to hear you finally got your money, but this is still a huge red flag, IMO. Also glad to hear you are looking to get out, 'cause I think those who stick around will regret it.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Pune Massacreeist

I would rate their promises of "pay" as fufu bird shit and expect to be stiffed for at least the last pay period, if not more.

I would cash thier checks at their bank, and not mine, to avoid "my" bank cashing it as a "courtesy" and then yanking the funds when they refuse to pay.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Chairman of the Board

Glad you got your pay despite all that crap. How's the job search going so far?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Me

Quote:
Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
Glad you got your pay despite all that crap. How's the job search going so far?
I'm trying. I've only had one call back and that was months ago. I'm stepping it up though, and looking outside my industry too.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Area Manager

Outside of the industry how? Like where?

Sorry...just curious.

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."
Closed Thread