This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I'm From Oregon...

I'd forgotten about this dandy story of my mom's until just now.

BG: I'm sure we all know Oregon is tax exempt for sales in the state and surrounding states. My mom worked in a candy store in Colorado. Pull out your atlas we're about to have a lesson in geography.

Mm: My mom
    SC: Entitled because she lives in Oregon

SC brings up several bags of candy and puts them on the counter. Mm rings them up and gives her the total.

SC: That total is wrong. I'm from Oregon.

Mm: That's nice. The total is $x

SC: That's wrong I'm from Oregon.

Mm: I'm sorry, I don't know what that has to do with your total.

SC: I'm from Oregon. I'm tax exempt.

Mm: But you're in Colorado your tax exempt status doesn't apply here.

SC: I'm tax exempt in all states that surround Oregon.

Mm: Right. But you're in Colorado. Your tax exemption isn't applicable here.

SC: *whines* But I'm from Oregon.

Mm: I realize that, which is why in Oregon you would pay $y but here you pay $x. That'll be $x.

SC: pays and leaves looking disgruntled.

I never knew people considered Colorado to be one of Oregon's surrounding states. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Betcha that moron also expects other people to pump her gas for her, since you can't do it yourself in Orygun.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wow. You have to go through two states before you get to Colorado from Oregon.

What an ignoramus.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Betcha that moron also expects other people to pump her gas for her, since you can't do it yourself in Orygun.
        You can't do it in NJ, either, which made for a very irritating moment when I went on a ski trip to VT. We got to a gas station and NO ONE KNEW HOW TO PUMP GAS. Except me, because I learned to drive in AL and Dad wouldn't teach me to drive until I could pump gas/change a tire/check fluids.

I made the driver get his ass out of the car and learn, because I was NOT going to be the only person getting out of HIS car in snowy freezing weather. He was not happy with me.
        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Wow. You have to go through two states before you get to Colorado from Oregon.

What an ignoramus.

^-.-^
          Apparently she slept through that part of the trip ...

Comment

Let me apologize for the ignoramus, on behalf of the Oregonians who appreciate having sales tax waived, but do not expect it.

If I knew who the idjit was, I'd reach into one of our rivers & grab a salmon to smack her with.

Let me also add, I do know how to pump my own gas, and willingly do it when we travel to California, Washington, Nevada, and British Columbia.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I have to deal with people from Oregon pulling this. We're in Washington, but at the motel you're paying a hospitality tax and not a sales tax. So sorry, no exemptions. (And Oregon DOES have a hospitality tax...at least Salem, OR does!) Some people throw a big stink about it.

It was so funny when Hubs moved up here. He's from Cali, by way of Oregon. He was all "I used to live in Cali before I moved to Oregon. I do know how to pump gas, you know!" Cue five minutes of him staring at the pump before making me get out of the car to help him! His argument afterward was that he never actually was old enough to pump gas when he lived in Cali....yeah, keep them excuses coming, honey! (He's so adorable!)
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I taught myself to pump gas during my single-car, single-driver move from NJ to FL...good thing it wasn't difficult, I didn't even have to call anyone
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

The thing that gets me about pumping gas is that no one EVER taught me how to do it.

Yet somehow I managed to figure it out the first time up at bat.

The instructions of the pump are pretty straight forward. Swipe card, remove nozzle for grade desired (or remove nozzle and push the button for desired grade) and pump fuel.

Now the instructions on the pump stop there. But it's not that hard to figure out that you open the fuel door, unscrew the cap, insert nozzle into hole and squeeze trigger.

It's not all that dissimilar to filling a water bottle with a garden hose.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
                    Let me apologize for the ignoramus, on behalf of the Oregonians who appreciate having sales tax waived, but do not expect it.

If I knew who the idjit was, I'd reach into one of our rivers & grab a salmon to smack her with.

Let me also add, I do know how to pump my own gas, and willingly do it when we travel to California, Washington, Nevada, and British Columbia.
                    Love the salmon

Yes, please don't think all Oregonians are like the SC - we do try to keep those type out, but they do sneak in now and then.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Mongo, you'd be surprised at the number of times per week I have to help people pump gas. Hitting the 'Pay Inside' or 'Pay Outside' button is hard, y'know!
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                        Except me, because I learned to drive in AL and Dad wouldn't teach me to drive until I could pump gas/change a tire/check fluids.
                        You were taught right.. I am 34 years old and I have never had to change my own tire.. Not saying that I can't or won't.. But every time I've had a flat I would get all the stuff out and start to do it and always had someone stop who would insist on doing it for me.

I wish we were tax exempt, heck I wish we had lower taxes on food.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

I'm from NJ, and until I had my own car, and brought it back to school with me in MD, I had no clue how to pump gas. Anytime my family was on vacation was visiting family IN Oregon...or other states, my dad did it.

So when I got back to school, I asked one of my friends who was not from NJ very nicely if she woudl come with me the first time and show me how to pump gas. that was almost 25 years ago, and while I still live in NJ, I do travel outside, and still know how to do it!

Comment

I think I once had a shopper from Delaware (no sales tax) try that when I was at the wholesale club.

I believe my response was on the lines of "You're in Virginia. We have a [x]% sales tax."

Fortunately, they didn't try to push the issue.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Aaaaaactually, Washington allows an out, we don't HAVE to honor their no sales tax status.

and we have about 900 things we have to do to do it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=82.08.0273

So much fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X