This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet our new baby!

EDIT 10/06/11: NEW PICTURES of Malachi and our other kitties here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiet...7627708647817/

I would like to introduce you all to our newest baby, Malachi.

Here's Malachi's story.

He was part of a litter of 5 that was surrendered to a no-kill shelter in Austin when they were just a few days old. We don't know why they were surrendered or who their mama is, but the shelter took them in and bottle fed them for about 3 weeks. After that, one of the shelter volunteers named Jo took the litter in and fostered them in her home.

When the kittens were about 2 1/2 months old, the shelter decided to spay/neuter them. (please, no debates about what age to neuter a kitten.) Something happened while Malachi was under anesthesia and he started to crash. We don't know if he had a bad/allergic reaction to the anesthesia, or if the vets administered it wrong, or what. Whatever happened, Malachi's respiratory system shut down and he stopped breathing. The vets had to do kitty CPR, including mouth-to-mouth, to resuscitate him. By the time they brought him back, he had been oxygen deprived for so long that he was brain damaged.

At first, it was like he was a newborn kitten. He couldn't eat, walk, or use the litterbox on his own. He also was, and still is, blind. His foster, Jo, took him home and hand fed him and cleaned up after him when he couldn't find the litterbox. She taught him how to eat and drink on his own and how to use the litterbox on his own.

Recently, my husband and I were in the market for a special needs kitty. I mentioned in another thread that we were thinking of adopting a kitty with diabetes insipidus. We ended up not taking him home because we didn't think his personality was right for us and our cats. But we still wanted a special needs kitty, so we got word out to some of the other fosters within the shelter, including Jo. We met Malachi last Friday and knew he was the one.

He is super cuddly and snuggly and loves to be held. He purrs when he is happy, which is pretty often. He is friendly toward everyone, even when the other kitties are grumpy toward him. He is curious and fearless.

He gets around the house amazingly well for not being able to see. When we got him home, we let him out of his carrier and he started trotting around like he owned the place. He occasionally bumps into objects that are low to the ground, like food bowls or toys, but he has never run into a wall or chair (unless he starts zooming around and slides across our hardwood floors without being able to catch himself.)

We took him to our vet today and our vet was very impressed with him. We determined that he can see light; when the vet shined a bright, concentrated light in Malachi's eyes, he flinched. But he is not interested at all in quiet toys and did not flinch when the vet came at his face quickly with his fingers, so other than light, he is totally blind. The vet thinks there is a small chance he may regain some of his vision eventually, but the surgery when he crashed was about 3 months ago and normally he would be showing more improvement by now if he was going to improve at all. So there is a very good chance he will always be blind.

But his hearing and sense of smell are phenomenal. He had no trouble finding the food bowls, water fountain, and litterboxes without us showing them to him once we got him home for the first time. He knows when someone is approaching and will turn to "look" at them. We put him on the floor in the exam room at the vet's office and he immediately started exploring, without bumping into any of us standing in the room, or any of the walls. Our vet was very impressed with how well he was getting around, as well as how confident he seemed. He is not intimidated by anything. Our vet said we did a good thing and that he is going to be a very cool cat.

Our cats are a little bit grumpy about having a newcomer in the house but we are not too worried about it. Ash likes him just fine, because Ash likes everybody. Pluto is a little jealous that he is no longer the baby boy and growls whenever Malachi gets too close. Mint is fine with him as long as it's on her terms. If she approaches him, she is fine, but if he is tromping around (as he often does) and gets too close to her, she will hiss at him and run away. Yume, who is normally the worst with newcomers, is actually taking to him the best after Ash. Her and Malachi bumped noses earlier this evening and Yume did back off and hiss after a moment, but none of the others have let Malachi get that close to them. None of them have actively attacked Malachi or been aggressive toward him, they have just hissed and given him warning swats on the head if he gets too close. We're confident they will all come around in time.

Currently, Malachi has discovered my fleece blanket, which is very soft and warm. He spent quite a while kneading it, and is currently curled up on top of it. <3
    Last edited by MaggieTheCat; 10-06-2011, 06:46 PM.

D'awww! So cute. So glad he has such a good home! Sounds like he's gonna be just fine. ^_^
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

What a pretty boy!
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

He's a cutie patootie! It could just be the angle of the photo but it looks like he has fairly large paws...wonder if that means he's going to be a very big boy when he gets a bit older!
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

He is a beautiful boy!!! I wanna just snuggle with him!

At the risk of sounding weird, I am really proud of you and your hubby for adopting this sweet, sweet boy. and
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

He's gorgeous! And I had the same first thought as BeenThere, lol... "omg look at the size of his paws"

Congrats!
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

KITTY! *melts* OMG what an absolute ball of adorableness.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                He's a cutie patootie! It could just be the angle of the photo but it looks like he has fairly large paws...wonder if that means he's going to be a very big boy when he gets a bit older!
                He rather long-legged, too; I wouldn't be surprised if he was both big and tall when he's grown.

He's definitely cute, and sounds like a real winner. I think he's grateful that you gave him a chance and is repaying you in lots of purrs.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                  I thought the same thing! He is pretty big. He's about 5 months old now and a little over 6lbs. The average weight gain for a kitten is about a pound a month so either he's just a little above the average growth rate, or he's going to be big. I'm betting he's gonna be big. He also still has a lot of kitten fluff, on top of being long haired, so he looks a bit bigger than he actually is. When he's standing next to one of our cats and his fur is all poofed out, he looks almost as big as them.

Quoth Peppergirl
                  At the risk of sounding weird, I am really proud of you and your hubby for adopting this sweet, sweet boy.
                  Thanks Pepper. <3 It's hard to believe that some people wouldn't want him, but he was on the very bottom of the "adoptable" list. We're lucky we found him 'cuz he fits in great here. Well, our kitties are still getting used to him, but they're all getting better each day and once Pluto realizes how playful he is, the two of them are going to have a ball wrestling and romping around the house. Jo was really worried that they'd never find a good home for him, or at least not a home that she'd trust him in, but once she heard about us she knew he'd do fine. I'm so glad she trusts us with him.

Comment

When I was volunteering at the MSPCA shelter, there were a number of "imperfect" sweeties that for whatever reason could not be adopted out (one gorgeous ragdoll with some mild neurological problems was sadly put down the day after mom said we would consider adopting him; I guess he had been there too long). A lot of people just don't want to put in the additional time, energy, and/or money required.

I love the kitten stage where they haven't quite grown into their paws...McGriff was the same way and he was pretty big (24 inches from nose to tail when he was sprawled out).
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

He is beautiful! Animals are amazing in their ability to compensate for their disabilities. I'm glad he has found a great forever home.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Cute kitten. Yes he will be a big cat.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

*melts from cuteness* kittykittykitty~~!
                          ....*ahem*

Anyway, aside from the major cuteness, I'm glad he's found a family to love him. *snuggles Malachi gently*
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Incredibly handsome fella! He's gonna be ginormous, looking at paws and leg length.
                            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Yeah, I think all us animal lovers are going to need pix to watch this big boy grow up. He is stunning! My first thought too was, "Wow, look at those legs and paws!" He has such beautiful markings.

I have a partially blind cat too, her retinas got attached to her eyes when she young and it looks like she has glaucoma. She is about 4lbs tops, but is absolutely fearless and rules the others with an iron paw. Sweet is the day is long and everyone loves her. She's also FIV, so she gets away with murder. My background to my PC is her coming out of the Christmas tree. Yeah, we haven't had ornaments for a few years!
                              Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Working...
                              X