This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's FREE cause I drank all of it BEFORE getting to the register

This couple comes up to my register to be rung out & already I can tell this is going to be interesting cause they're having an argument. Get this: He says..."Just ask the cashier. You'll see I'm right".
    She says..."I already drank it, why should I pay for it!"
    I'm like ......>
    She says..."I KNOW it's free, so & so told me that she got it FREE the other day"
    So then she looks at me & asks me...."I just drank this bottle of soda BEFORE coming up here so it's FREE, right? I'm like this----> & then I say..."No, it's NOT free, you have to pay for that too". Then I say...."That's a good one, nice try".
    The girl gives me a nasty look & the guy laughs & says..."See? I told you so!"
    I ring them out & they keep arguing all the way out of the store!
    Why in the world would anybody think that if you drink a soda before approaching the register that it would be FREE? That boggles my mind...lol.

That reminds me of something that happens fairly frequently at the store I work at. People will steal produce/drinks and then when I see them eating it or drinking it I'll try to charge them for it when they come up to the register, only to have them scream that they "Brought it in with them."

I would actually have to catch them picking up the produce or taking the drink out of the cooler to fight them on that.

I hate that so much! If I did what they're doing I would be fired! I usually tell them it's not free and next time to please let us know when they bring something in with them before they start shopping.

Comment

This ticks me off too. The best part is when you see people doing this with their kids in tow. Please, by all means, teach your kids to shoplift. And the fact that people can justify it is just ridiculous. If it's not yours, you haven't already paid for it and you didn't bring it in with you, you have to pay for it. I don't care if you ate it all already, good for you--you're a pig as well as an idiot.

It's kind of funny too, since people don't seem to realize that when you do this, you take money away from the store, and eventually, in turn, the prices will go up. Jerks.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
        It's kind of funny too, since people don't seem to realize that when you do this, you take money away from the store, and eventually, in turn, the prices will go up. Jerks.
        Prices going up only affects someone who PAYS for stuff. Thieves don't pay, so why should they care? Only the honest folk get stuck paying the higher prices!
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Lol watch out for the ones that eat the product and rip off the upc! Pure stupidity!
          Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

GOD I used to hate crap like this when I used to work at a supermarket. My personal "favorite" was when people would give their kid an apple to munch on right out of the produce bins, then just say "oh yeah, add in an apple to the bill." (Assuming they bothered to tell me at all). Um, HELLO! IDIOT! Apples are sold by WEIGHT!!!!!! Seeing as your kid has eaten it, I have no idea what to charge you for it. For lack of a better option, I'd usually add in a $0.50 produce item to cover it.

Then there were the infamous Grape Fights, but that's another story......
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

OMG!!!! I HATE these kind of people. I work for Taco Bell and if I get one more teenager that asks for a water cup then steals soda I am going to SCREAM! These kids never fail to amaze me with their stupidity. They think they are sooooo sly by trying to hide what they are doing from me since the drink machine is on the other side of the resturant from the register but what they don't realize is that when they get water the machine doesn't make a noise but the min they get anything else the CO2 kicks on and it's loud. Now I just yell across the resturant "That's stealing pour it out!" Infront of their friends, other customers, employees....whoever. I figure if I humiliate them enough they'll hopefully get the picture. Most have luckly.....they know not to even try it if they see me anywhere in the store.

I did have one the other day that I finally went off on. He does it EVERYTIME he
              comes in.

SK- Stupid Kid
              Me- Me...lol

Me: The next time you steal in this store I will call the cops
              SK: Go ahead...not like they gonna do anything
              Me: Oh I'm sorry did you fail to notice the security cameras? They have recorded you stealing from 3 different angles for the past couple months and if I remember correctly the charge is Theft By Deception. And since we do have your Cedit Card slips and the videos I'm sure we could make it stick.
              SK:

Hopefully I'll never see him again

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                GOD I used to hate crap like this when I used to work at a supermarket. My personal "favorite" was when people would give their kid an apple to munch on right out of the produce bins, then just say "oh yeah, add in an apple to the bill." (Assuming they bothered to tell me at all). Um, HELLO! IDIOT! Apples are sold by WEIGHT!!!!!! Seeing as your kid has eaten it, I have no idea what to charge you for it. For lack of a better option, I'd usually add in a $0.50 produce item to cover it.
                Weigh the kid, charge parent of the year price of kid in apples.

I didn't even know this, but my brother and his fiancee have told me before that they will go into WalMart and grab water bottles out of the coolers by the registers, walk around the store, open them, drink them, and place them somewhere in the store. In effect, getting free drinks.

Of course, with how my brother and his fiancee are about drinking bottles/cans of liquid, I doubt they ever manage to finish a whole bottle while doing so...

Doesn't excuse them, of course. But, I've never actually seen them do it, so I can't really comment.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth traylk View Post
                  OMG!!!! I HATE these kind of people. I work for Taco Bell and if I get one more teenager that asks for a water cup then steals soda I am going to SCREAM!
                  Here is a story about someone who had to deal with the same thing, and finally had enough.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    My personal "favorite" was when people would give their kid an apple to munch on right out of the produce bins, then just say "oh yeah, add in an apple to the bill." <snip> Apples are sold by WEIGHT!!!!!! Seeing as your kid has eaten it, I have no idea what to charge you for it.
                    I'd go to the produce department, find the biggest, heaviest apple there is and keep it by the register for just such a situation.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, technically, if they drink it before they get to the register, as we all know, it's stealing... I can understand if someone has a medical condition and find themselves feeling faint perhaps opening a bottle of juice or something; beyond that, WHY eat at the grocery store? There's a reason it all comes in sealed packages...

Do they tell you what kind of apple? I mean, Red Delicious tend to be a bit bigger than, say Roma or Fuji...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        Well, technically, if they drink it before they get to the register, as we all know, it's stealing... .
                        Uh, technically it's not stealing until they leave the store, without having paid for it.

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
                          Uh, technically it's not stealing until they leave the store, without having paid for it.
                          I could be wrong, but I think that's one of those things that varies from state to state. I believe that in some states, they can arrest you as soon as you do something that makes it obvious you're trying to steal it, like conceal it in your clothing.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Dave1982....I know what you mean. The family goes grocery shopping, junior is throwing a tantrum because he is hungry......so genius daddy decides to go to the bananas, pick ONE off, and feed it to junior while they stroll around shopping. They come up to the register. Daddy throws empty banana peel at me and tells me to ring up ONE banana. Hello, retard, I have no way of knowing how much that one banana weighed, then doing the converting and the math of whatever cents per pound.

If your kids are going to get hungry shopping, bring your own damn food to the store. They make all those portable snacks for toddlers, not to mention good old fashioned animal crackers, goldfish....etc

I'd let it slide if they were letting junior eat out of a box that HAD a barcode on it. As long as their wasn't slob or drool all over the box. Then I'd refuse to touch it.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
                              OK, you may have a point; however the woman in this case obviously had no intention of paying for it.

If I were going to give my kid a snack it'd be a granola bar or something from a box that I am buying anyway.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X