Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hospital cafeteria...not a five-star resturant. (very long!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital cafeteria...not a five-star resturant. (very long!)

When I was going for classes in the medical field, I went to a medical school/hospital building, a very big one.

The building was divided into two parts, one for hospital staff, patients ,and their visitors and the other for students and teachers. Right between these two parts is the cafeteria, so it's closer to both and makes it easier to reach.

So one day, I arrive early and decide to go to the cafeteria for expresso and some lunch. As I'm checking in, the women with two young girls ( I think one was about 7 and the other 12) ask the front desk person ( I have no idea what they're called) where the cafeteria is. I volunteer to show them since I'm on my way there and it's kinda easy to miss. I assume they're there to visit a loved one and want to grab a bite to eat before going to see them.

I don't ask them who they're there to visit because it would be terribly rude.I remember how it was for me when my Dad was in the hospital after he had a heart attack, after all.

I lead them to the cafeteria and get my expresso. It was then that it occured to me that they weren't there to visit anyone.

Girl 1, the youngest: Mommy, they don't have anything good here. Can't we go somewhere else?

Mother: No, we're eating here.

The mother then tries to get them to pick something, but the girls keep saying "Ewww" and "Gross" to whatever she suggests. Finally, the oldest gets a tuna-fish sandwitch. The youngest though, wanted to get pudding. Mother doesn't approve.

"You can't have pudding for dinner." she says.

So the girl gets a cheeseburger ( one of the specials for that day) and french fries. They pay for their food and sit down. Both kids aren't happy with their food and keep whining about how they would rather go to Mc'Donalds. The mother tells them to shut up and eat, that it's all they could afford. Then she starts eating the soup she ordered and immediatly spits it out and all over the table.

Mother: This soup is horrible! I can't believe I paid $3.00 for this!

At this point, I'm struggling to stop myself from laughing and pointing out to the lady that she is eating at a hospital. I mean, what does she expect? Some of the food there is good, don't get me wrong, but it's not five-star food cooked by a world-famous chef. It's hospital food prepared by hospital staff.

So mother takes her soup to cashier and demands a refund. The cashier refuses and the mother argues. What is probably the worst part of this story is that while she was arguing and demanding to see the supervisor, the oldest girl walks off.

She goes outside the cafeteria and starts talking on her cell phone, almost inside the Cardiac Wing, whitch is right across the hall and through a pair of double doors. There are signs everywhere telling people not to use their cell phones in that area, since it's very close to patient care areas and could interfer with the equipment, namely respirators and heart monitors. Importent things that, if messed with, could be the death of the person hooked up to it. For an example, if someone in that Cardiac wing had a sudden heart problem, and that girl's cell phone interfered with and disabled the heart monitor, no one would know. All because her mother was too busy trying to get a refund for a $3.00 bowl of soup because it didn't met her standards.

I couldn't allow that so, in the softest tone possible so I didn't disturb the patients, told the girl to take her conversation back into the cafeteria and pointed to the sign.

Cell Phone Girl: You can't tell me what to do and I can talk on my phone wherever I want. You ain't no nurse so get out of my business.

Me: *trying to keep my cool* I'm not a nurse, I'm a student, but I can tell you what to do because you are endangering the patients in this wing. So please, go back into the cafeteria.

Girl: off!

At that point, a nurse who overheard the entire conversation stepped in, telling the girl to go back to her mother before she called security. The girl screamed and cursed at her, alerting her mother, who cursed at the nurse then at me, saying she would never come back again, and left. I don't think anyone really cared, I didn't.

Honestly, acting that way isn't acceptable anywhere in public, let alone a hospital where sick people are trying to recover. My already dying hope in humanity died alittle more that day.

hmmm where will they go when one of them is deathly ill?

Comment

yeah way to get your priorites straight lady

bad soup over your daughter endangering the lives of everyone else... of course soup wins!!

I cant bear hospitals, they smell wierd, feel wierd, *shudder*, its so bright and glary and disorientating in them, I just hate them

I dont know if I could eat in one anyway... all cafeteria good is not so great anyway, hospital or no.

The only excuse I can think of is that she was grieving?
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth April
        Hopefully a five star restaurant
        Sorry, but a failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
          yeah way to get your priorites straight lady

I dont know if I could eat in one anyway... all cafeteria good is not so great anyway, hospital or no.
          I currently work in a hospital, and I will be the first to agree that the food isn't 5 star quality. I still eat there almost everyday for lunch though. The combination of cheap plus 20% employee discount is hard to resist. Besides the usual choices of hamburgers, hot dogs and sandwiches, there is a salad bar, three main choices, soup, and a different cobbler each day. (Today is chicken strips, beef stroganoff, chicken fajita salad and chicken tortilla soup.) We do have many people who come in for the purpose of eating here, as well as people who rave about the cobbler. Bet the mother has pulled the same stunt in just about every place she has eaten at.

Comment

grrrr...

Yeah, hospital food may not bea all that great, but for crissakes they are an instiuttion, like a college or a school, they don't hire Mario Batali and Wolfgang Puck, to prepare their dishes. Oh, who the flip goes to a hospital to eat? Ans as for their manners, my word! That has got to be some of the most ignorant things ever said. You are in a hospital, cell phones are banned for a reason. Pricks.

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot
              Yeah, hospital food may not bea all that great, but for crissakes they are an instiuttion, like a college or a school, they don't hire Mario Batali and Wolfgang Puck, to prepare their dishes.
              You say that, but...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1019874.stm

However, that lady was a first class b*tch, and her daughter was a chip off the old block. I think you were remarkably polite to them, given the circumstances. When I was in hospital after having my daughter, some of the people visiting the woman in the bed opposite me were using their mobile phones and it really annoyed me. I had a bit of a go at them, they pretended not to understand English (they were Bangladeshi), but then my dad had a go at them in Bengali - and they did put their phones away. Its one of the few decent things my dad has actively done for me. Well, me and the other people on the ward, and the nursing staff.
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth April
                Maybe somewhere out in their Uncle Bubba's "back 40?"
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You were a lot more patient than I would have been. My mum's a nurse, and I definitely know about cell phones. I would have grabbed it off her, and switched it off.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

hopefully, a cave or ditch far, FAR away from others...

as for the food; yes, it's not the greatest ever, but then again, YOU chose to go there, so deal with it.

that kid and mother should have been kicked out, not just for the cell phone issue, but for disruptive behavior; people are sick, idjits, they don't need to listen to your self centered bs, so get the hell out!
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Those kids are going to grow up and be fine, upstanding members of society, I can tell. Their mom set such a good example for them.

Yeah, right.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth April
                        We always go to the grocery store every time hubby gets hit by another car. I mean, where ELSE would we go? You eat at the hospital, die in the grocery store. Makes perfect sense.
                        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Further proof that the world is going to hell in a handbasket..lol...If that had been my Mom (A) She wouldn't have complained about the soup, but figured that's what happens you order hospital food and (B) She would have KILLED any kid of hers that cursed an adult who admonished them!

You wonder why kids in general are so disrespectful and churlish, then you see their parents and you know why.

Sad really.

Comment

I've been in a few hospitals that have really good food given the institution. I consider that a nice bonus, but wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That OP doesn't surprise me at all. I used to work in a hospital doing research. My son has also been hospitalized in the same place many times for a very serious heart condition. So I've seen sucky behavior as both an employee and a fellow "customer."

The absolute worst thing happened when my son was a patient about five years ago. A woman refused to leave the elevator when it was needed to transport my son from from the cath lab to the PICU. She kept insisting there was room for the bed, the equipment, the rather large entourage and herself.

The main crux of her argument? "I was here first and need to get to an appointment."

It was so unbelievable. Despite all the sucky behavior I'd seen in the past, I was too to even speak. So were all the others who had willingly yielded the elevator. They just stared at her like they couldn't believe what they were seeing and hearing .

Fortunately the doctor was able to talk her out of there. I believe he had to mention that security would be called.
                              Last edited by Dips; 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM.
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X