This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Students (with consequences!)

Background - I have a work study position as a college tutor. One of my duties is to check in/out students for the computer lab. All students are required to check in with student ID, which we have to physically photo check and scan. This has been college policy ever since I've worked here, and numerous signs point out the policy.

I'll be obscuring this a bit - don't want to get in violation of FERPA (student privacy Federal laws). This is also a bit long, so

Me -
    SS1 - Sucky Student 1
    SS2 - Sucky Student 2
    D - Director of Learning, my supervisor

Tuesday - I'm working alone, usual for a morning shift. I'm in the process of tutoring a student, when 2 students come in and want to use the computer lab. Both were wearing distinctive scrubs identifying themselves as medical students. SS1 gave me her ID which I scanned, but as I finished with the student, both SS1 and SS2 proceeded to go into the computer lab.

I apologized to the student I was tutoring and went into the computer lab. SS2 was sitting at one of the computers, and SS1 was standing next to her. I asked SS2 for her ID, which she said that she didn’t have it. I told her the policy - essentially, no ID, no admittance, but I put it nicer than that. SS2 got up as if to leave, so I started back to my tutoring session...only to realize that SS2 was still there, standing, with SS1 at the computer now.

I went back in to the lab and told SS2 the policy again. SS2 asked if she could stay with SS1, saying that she left her ID in class upstairs. I told her that, per policy, I couldn’t allow anyone in without student ID. SS2 got , said that she “wouldn’t turn in the assignment then” as she grabbed her flash drive from SS1, and both got up to leave. SS2 was complaining about ‘spending $30,000 in tuition’ and not being able to use the lab as they left.

They wish they knew what they were getting into...I didn't even know, at first, but then...

I messaged D as what had happened, and she called Campus Safety. When I finished my tutoring session (I apologized to that student, which she totally understood, and I gave her a little extra instruction time to make up for it) D had me go to the Safety office. I found out firsthand how impressive the video they capture from their cameras, and was able to ID the students. The officer said that he would print that frame out and give it to D.

Wednesday - One thing I really like about D - if you do the job right, she will back you up. When I went in for work, D told me to meet in her office. She had pulled up a picture of SS1 that she found from both the picture and from her ID that was scanned in, which I verified.

She told me that she would meet with both students and their instructor - D was able to find out what class they were taking from the time that the incident happened, their scrubs (medical), the photo from the video, SS1's picture and ID, and the fact that SS2 said she had a class that was upstairs. I didn't hear much more about it until...

Thursday - About the middle of my shift, D had me go into her office and shut the door. She described how the meeting between the 2 students went - essentially, she told them that what they had done wasn't right, and that we all have to respect each other. Of course, they tried to put the blame on me, saying I didn't tell them that they needed ID to be there, and that they thought that they just needed ID to use the computer (well then, why was SS2 - the one without ID - at the computer???).

D countered by saying that I've been working there a while, we have training every year, I've never been known to break rules (true), and she knew I did everything right. When they tried to talk over her, D told them that by doing that, she believed my description even more.

So, what came out of this? Both students have this noted on their transcripts. They are still encouraged to use the tutoring/lab facilities, but they are expected to follow policy like ever other student. This is essentially Strike 1, but D didn't tell me what would happen if another incident occurred, just to be attentive when they come in again and report if anything else happens.

Always good to have a superior that backs you up!

Comment

Ah yes... the computer lab and ID's. I had the same job when I was in college, although we didn't have anything to scan them with. We just had to simply verify they had it with them, and it was in fact their ID. During my stint there, I had these happen many times:

- Try to pass off someone else's ID as their own. Had one guy actually tell me 'This is the ID I am giving you' in a threatening tone. Countered with a threat of my own to call the campus police, and he backed off.
      - Lab had two doors, so it was tough to monitor both entrances. However, the desk was situated that you could see the other door. More than once two students would come in, one had ID, the other didn't. The one without ID would tiptoe down to the other entrance and would try to sneak in.
      - Would just flat out ignore me and go sit down anyway. (You bet your ass I called campus police.)
      - Threats of violence. (One was from a guy who had his ID and was in there... he was pissed I sent a girl out who didn't, and she was actually fine with it. Came back with her ID. That guy ended up having to write a written letter of apology after I went to the Dean with that one.)

So many excuses of 'Well I never ever carry it anyway!'. I called shenanigans on this. First, you had to have it to get into the dining hall where they /did/ swipe your card to check you in. Second, it says right on it that you have to carry it at all times to identify yourself as a student of the college.

Anyways... good thing you've got a boss who backs you up, and it's good to see those two got their due.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Working...
      X