This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive-by Consumer Advocacy

So, there I was, minding my own business and loading up a car that had broken down in the parking lot of the local Advance Auto Parts store, which is always kinda funny when it happens. I'm talking innocently enough with the owner who's wondering when our service technicians will be able to look at his car, and speculating on what might have gone wrong when suddenly a guy on a motorcycle flies into the lot off the main road. Mr Cyclist pulls up next to us and without as much as a hello declares

"Hey! Don't let these guys tow you! They're crooks! They'll wreck your car!!!"

Customer and I are kinda taken back, but it only lasts for about a half second before we resume our talk.

"I'm serious!" the Cyclist says, "They'll ruin your car!"

We continue to ignore him, by now, I've loaded my customers car and am collecting his phone number/address/etc so we can call him back after we get a chance to officially diagnose his ailing vehicle

"You listening to me?" Cyclist asks "They towed my car once and did $3,000 worth of damage to it! They'll f*ck yours up too! Call someone else!"

We both kinda stare at Cyclist for another half second, not sure what to make of him, but quietly resume our chat

"Here!" Cyclist says, thrusting a piece of paper forward, "It's my phone number! Call me! I'll be a witness in court for you, because they're gonna rip you off!"

Neither of us react, Cyclist re-tightens his helmet as he finally gets the hint that neither myself or my customer are stoned, deaf or blind, we just don't care about him.

"You'll be sorry!" he declares as he drives off.

I still have no clue what that was about, I'd never seen the dude before in my life. Wonder if I shoulda told him that we can and do tow motorcycles too? Well, according to bell-curve logic, there's always that infinitely small portion of the population way out at the far end from the norm that you just can't explain.....

Oh, and anyone ever notice how the parking spaces in front of auto parts stores always have HUGE oil stains that are like three times as big as you usually see in "regular" parking lots? Yeah, I find that funny too.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Maybe he mistook your company for another one. Or if his car was illegally parked and you guys towed it away, and he's still pissed about it so he's trying to undermine you. Whatever, what you were doing with the other guy was really none of the cyclist's business. Some people.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Don't you just love it when someone just HAS to interject their opinion into a conversation that doesn't concern them-- and then talks LOUDER when it becomes clear no one involved in said conversation gives a rat's ass what they're saying?

Yeah.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Oh, and anyone ever notice how the parking spaces in front of auto parts stores always have HUGE oil stains that are like three times as big as you usually see in "regular" parking lots? Yeah, I find that funny too.
        Seems pretty logical to me. Cars that are brought to parts stores are often in need of repair, which can translate to more leakiness. Cars that go there often are probably more leaky than the average, even if the parts they need for this particular repair aren't related to the engine oil.

(Either that, or someone went ahead and changed their oil right there in the parking lot, which is illegal in this jurisdiction. Especially if they dumped the oil rather than bringing it back into the store to be recycled.)

Regarding nosey cyclist: Who asked you?

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          "You listening to me?" Cyclist asks "They towed my car once and did $3,000 worth of damage to it! They'll f*ck yours up too! Call someone else!"
          More likely, he parked illegally, someone hit his car causing the damage, it got towed, and he blamed the tow company for the hit-and-run damage.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

More likely, he parked illegally, someone hit his car causing the damage, it got towed, and he blamed the tow company for the hit-and-run damage.
            Gosh, now you got me wondering. How does a tow company protect themselves against a claim like that? Do you take pictures of the vehicle?
            My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
              Gosh, now you got me wondering. How does a tow company protect themselves against a claim like that? Do you take pictures of the vehicle?
              You write up any pre-exsiting damage on the tow sheet, of course that never stops anyone who wants to be a pain from claiming every nick and scratch as being our fault.

Basically, it boils down to a we-say they-say situation, and, if we say we didn't do it (and we mean it in good-faith, we occasionally do make mistakes and damages, but we document these and pay for proper repair either by our body shop or someone elses) then the only thing they can do if they disagree is try and take us to civil court, since the law considers it a civil matter. At that point, 99.9% of them just give up because they don't have the resources to fight us in court or figure it's not economical, and like typical scammers just stomp off when they realize that we aren't going to hand them a cookie and a blank check.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Mr. Cyclist was no doubt highly disappointed that the car owner didn't leap into action, wrestling Argabarga to the ground and rescuing his vehicle from the demonic grips of the Netherworld Towing Company.

Comment

What Mr. Cyclist doesn't seem to realize is that, to those of us who do NOT park illegally or do other stupid stuff to get our car towed, the tow-truck driver is our wonderful friend who helps get car-that-won't-move to mechanic who will hopefully make it start moving.

Comment

My uncle had his van towed after 2 flats and the tow (flat bed) damaged it. They fixed it right up, no worries. I think that is the norm rather than the exception. Fighting damage they did every time would be more expensive and drive business away.

Arga keep up the stories.
                    GFY

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                      What Mr. Cyclist doesn't seem to realize is that, to those of us who do NOT park illegally or do other stupid stuff to get our car towed, the tow-truck driver is our wonderful friend who helps get car-that-won't-move to mechanic who will hopefully make it start moving.
                      I have no problem with the tow-truck drivers...especially those who get my ass out of trouble. For example, I had to get a certain project vehicle towed to a garage, because I couldn't set the ignition timing. I'd replaced the points with an electronic module. The car ran OK, but the timing was off. So I pulled out my notes, marked the crankshaft pulley, spun said pulley around, etc. to no avail. Then the car wouldn't start at all Fuck me!

No matter what I did, nothing changed. Didn't help that the distributor bracket was bent and I couldn't tighten it. After several hours of intense fiddling, I gave up, and called AAA for a tow to the local garage. He arrived, loaded up the car, and after making sure that the rear brake lines weren't getting crushed...met me at the garage. Not many drivers would have known about that

Anyone want to guess what was wrong with the car? Seems that the timing was 180 degrees off. No wonder it wouldn't start!
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Anyone want to guess what was wrong with the car? Seems that the timing was 180 degrees off. No wonder it wouldn't start!
                        IOW, the timing was bass-ackwards?

*ducks and runs*
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          IOW, the timing was bass-ackwards?

*ducks and runs*
                          Sucker pun(ch)!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X