This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossed Wires

I think this person and I were operating a different wavelengths. Nothing awful, just didn't seem to be able to answer or ask the right questions of each other. It was also just before my lunch break so I may have been a bit off.

Potential Volunteer: *holding bright orange volunteer form* I have some time this week and I saw your sign about covering books.
    Me: Hmm, well our volunteers typically are with us for a longer period of time, not just a week or so. We typically have people who commit to several months at a time.
    PV: See, I work in cluster days. So I work a set of days and then have some time off every two weeks.
    Me: *puzzled, lost*: It just doesn't make sense to spend the time training someone to cover if all they can do is a few hours.
    PV: I'm working Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this week. So I can do Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Me: Okay, did you want to volunteer for just this week or for an extended period of time?

Potential Volunteer finally gets across her point that she does want to volunteer for an extended period of time but that she doesn't have set times she can work each week. Finally! We understand each other!

Me: Okay, so you're available Monday and Tuesday this week?
    PV: *stares*
    Me: Well, I'm in on Tuesday from 10 to 5. You can come in then and we can cover training.
    PV: 10 to 5. Okay, what time do you want me to come in?
    Me: Anytime from 10 to 5 is fine.
    PV: Okay, I'll be in in the afternoon.

Ehh, I know it doesn't sound like much, but I feel like we were asking and answering different questions!

Foos on hurst?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I found that when I was volunteering that a fair number of people didn't understand that it wasn't just a "come in whenever" kind of thing, I mean if you have a tight schedule we could totally work with that but we still needed to know when we could expect you to be there.

Comment

Working...
      X