Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Vent: lying "Travelling, no money to get to location X" panhandler
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Purgatory escapee

Default Vent: lying "Travelling, no money to get to location X" panhandler

This has been pissing me off for a while now. There's a panhandler in my area who moves between three shoping centers and likes to sit at intersections with his dog and a sign saying "Trying to get to "location X" - no money, I'm hungry and so is my dog. Please help."

Location X changes daily - he's been doing this for over a year now. It just gets my goat that he's depending on people "helping him out" when he's obviously not traveling anywhere. He tries to hit me up whenever I'm shopping, and I simply give the dog a biscuit (I keep some in my car) and say "Oh so you just got back from Location X / Location Y / Location Z? You sure travel a lot for a homeless guy don't you?" He usually slinks off.

Jerk.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Chairman of the Board

Yeah, we've got a panhandling couple in our area that have been trying to get to (insert state here) for over 5-years! They sure haven't made it very far, but that's maybe because they keep camping in the woods around local businesses, getting busted for being drunk and panhandling, and ending-up in jail.

Hee, you have an awesome way of dealing with yours; you think he'd recognize you by now!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Snake Handler

The classic angle is that they're trying to get to (insert random destination here) and that if they just had a couple more bucks, they'd be leaving your town for good.

I think that's Panhandling 101.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Sorry, my giveadamn broke

We get that here all the time. "Excuse me, ma'am, I came into town to meet my brother/sister/girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daughter/random stranger I met on the internet [take your pick] but they stood me up and I'm 87 cents short of the bus fare I need to get home. Can you help me?" I'm sure they come up with amounts like that because most people would figure hell, it's easier to just give them a dollar than to count out that change (or they don't have change).

Last time a guy tried this with me, I stopped him about three words in and said, "I've heard this one before." He said "okay, I get it, never mind," and wandered off.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Store Manager

we have ones that claim to have 4 or 5 kids to feed. I am so tempted to call cps, but I don't think they actually have kids so I don't want to waste CPS's time.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth gremcint View Post
we have ones that claim to have 4 or 5 kids to feed. I am so tempted to call cps, but I don't think they actually have kids so I don't want to waste CPS's time.
If they do, chances are CPS already has them.
Here in Chicago, there was a lady whose sign claimed her wallet was stolen from an Amtrak train...needs cash to get back. Mrs. TGK pointed out that her makeup is nearly perfect. Either a liar or lousy priorities...especially considering that she's been at her station (for want of a better term) for about a year and a half.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Humanity is overrated.

Ugh, panhandlers. My day isn't complete until someone hits me up for money (my record is four different people hitting me up for money in fifteen minutes).

There was one woman who claimed to be pregnant. Her "pregnancy" lasted a good three years.

I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Front End Supervisor

What is fun are the ones that work as a group. You see them dropped off in a van at different corners and changing shifts.

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Area Manager

I can't go anywhere without someone hitting me up for money these days. I can be sitting at the bus stop and someone will ask me for bus fare, then after I tell them no, they sit down and wait for a bus. They didn't need the damned fare!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Bagger

I had the same person hit me up on 2 different days, same parking lot, same 'car out of gas' story. I just told her she'd already tried that on me the day before, and walked away.