This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taz killed a mouse!

My kitten is getting all grown up! She was four months when I got her. Now she's almost 15 months old, and seems to have stopped growing. She's not a big cat, and still fairly lean and gangly . . . with just as much energy as ever although she has stopped flying through the air like Superman.

I've been smelling something bad in the kitchen all day. When I looked around, I glanced under the kitchen table at what I thought at first was one of her mouse toys. Taz must have thought it was one of her toys (she has several mice toys, plus a squirrel toy, balls, and the like), and killed it by accident.

I gave her much praise, of course. I haven't had any problems with mice since Jasmine (one of my old cats) killed one a few years ago, but I think they got a little bolder after I lost Stumps (he was definitely a predator when it came to rodents) because Taz was a kitten and inexperienced as a hunter. Hopefully the little buggers will think twice and stay out of my house.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Awww. The most my cat killed was a plametto bug. My other cat, who died a while back, was an out door cat and then we moved to NY fro FL then he moved back down to FL with my grandparents and he became an outdoor cat again and killed a rabbit. I miss him.

Comment

Our first cat killed crickets. Then ate everything apart from the back legs.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

She's a pretty good bug hunter, too. I was a little surprised to see the mouse; haven't had a problem with them in a couple of years.

But she'd be a terror on the small animals in the neighborhood if I ever let her outside: a whole world of self propelled cat toys!

Or at least, that's how she'd see it
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Pete was a mole hunter.
          Sabrina was a moth hunter.
          Chu was a snake killer.
          Ming was EVERYTHING.
          Halloween was a mouser and a dog pouncer.
          Pumpkin was a dairy farm cat, I dunno what all he killed.
          Salem was a bird and mouser...
          ect ect ect

Not one spider killer in any of my cats.

Comment

Ginger and Amber are aspiring young hunters. They're both just about right at the 1 year mark, still kittens, but mid to late teens kittens. They're indoor/outdoor cats, since we have dogs and a dog door (no real way to KEEP the cats in the house).

They started off, when it started warming up, with the first bugs to come out, mainly grubs and something that looks like a small black wasp but doesn't appear to sting. Then it was lizards. I actually was able to rescue one lizard that was still very much alive when it was brought into the house. I do hope it survived. I've found several not alive lizards in the house when the kittles lost interest in them. Here lately, it's been kangaroo mice (probably actually kangaroo rats, but they're small enough that I think of them as mice). I've found 3 or 4 of those in the house so far, thankfully all dead. I'm waiting for the first rabbit (we have cottontails and jackrabbits in huge numbers).

And of course, they go after bugs. They LOVE it when I have the porch light on at night. At least the bugs they've figured out are tasty snacks. They don't seem to have worked out yet that the lizards and mice are good to eat.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I have a cat named Jinx, and she is fast. REAL fast. "Give the chipmunk a 5 second headstart and still catch it to play with it" fast.

Comment

My heart just about stopped when I saw the thread title....my dog when I was a kid was named Taz, and her first "present" to me was a mouse. Imisshersomuch. ><
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  She's a pretty good bug hunter, too. I was a little surprised to see the mouse; haven't had a problem with them in a couple of years.

But she'd be a terror on the small animals in the neighborhood if I ever let her outside: a whole world of self propelled cat toys!

Or at least, that's how she'd see it
                  No, I think the operative phrase for that is "fast food".
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Congratulations to kitty.

November after Elsie joined us, Mrs. TGK and I were setting up to host Thanksgiving. She pointed towards a corner and yelled, "I told you to get rid of the realistic mouse toys."
                    I looked close and it was not a mouse toy--it was a real one. Elsie's first confirmed kill.
                    Good kitty.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Woot, go kitty!

Mephistopheles is generally a bug hunter, though he brought down a bat once (sadly it didn't live) I also came home to the tile floor once resembling a slaughter-house after one of the feeder mice got out, never found the remains of the mouse. And his worst 'present' was unfortunately one of our baby Ball Pythons escaped and somehow we didn't catch it during the cage count... he kinda brought it to us, dead, poor poor poor snake. Now a days, it's his stuffed beany rabbit he brings to us with his usual 'Hey, pay attention!' mowling.

Faust on the other hand, doesn't do much, other than hold down the floor with his fat butt and do impersonations of sock-puppets when he meows.
                      Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

Our cat Ninja (our son named him) once caught a bird that was six feet in the air with a standing vertical jump. I've never seen a cat jump so high. It was like "Nah nah you can't get me!" " Wanna bet?" *leap, chomp*

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                          Our cat Ninja (our son named him) once caught a bird that was six feet in the air with a standing vertical jump. I've never seen a cat jump so high. It was like "Nah nah you can't get me!" " Wanna bet?" *leap, chomp*
                          I'm 5 foot 7 and my cat often jumps up to my head height when I'm playing with him, has a lot of hang time too while he's up there.

My cat also graduated hunter school recently, albeit, is was a fly not a mouse or anything.
                          I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Two of our younger cats, Pluto and Mint, were having a grand old time with a big old cockroach a couple nights ago.

When Pluto was still a kitten (he's about 2 years old now) two summers ago we were getting tons of little gecko lizard things in our house. They would hang out right outside the front door and whenever we'd open it, one would zoom it. We tried to catch them and let them back out, but we didn't always get them...one time, we had some friends over, and opened the front door to let them in, and a gecko zoomed right in. Pluto was nearby, saw it, and immediately pounced on it and shoved it into his mouth. He chomped on it, then promptly spit it out. My husband ran into the kitchen to grab some paper towels, but by the time he got back, there was nothing left.

Let's see...Ash loves to chase and eat bugs. If we ever get a moth in the house, he's all over it.

Mint, before she adopted us, was a stray/feral girl. We still let her out into the back yard sometimes and we've see her chase and catch all sorts of things...bugs, geckos, even a squirrel once (I bet she had a lot of practice before she came to live with us.) We've found a couple of dead birds and squirrels in our driveway before and suspected they were gifts from her.

Malachi is a mighty sock hunter. He's blind so he has no idea what the fuss about bugs and rodents is, but if he comes across a sock laying on the floor, he will pick it up in his mouth and trot all around the house with it, proud as a peacock.

Comment

Congratulations to your kitty !

Ancient Welsh law states her value just doubled. (My cat is from Wales, and we told her this when she caught her first mouse).

Beware mousing indoor/outdoor cats. It was brilliant when my Pan caught a mouse that had snuck into my house. It was less good when she got a taste for them and started catching them outdoors and bring them in. And then letting them run up and down my back while I was in bed so she could play with them...

I have also never forgotten the look she gave me when I took the first mouse corpse away from her. The utter betrayal, and clear "I never thought you were the kind of person who'd take another person's mouse" look. You can't just leave them with a rotting mouse though. (Having said that one of my mother's had a dried flattened mouse that he kept hiding round the house).

My mother has Pan's younger brother and all he's ever caught are worms. It was a regular thing for months to have to run out and throw worms into the front garden when he brought them in from the back. And you find dried out dead ones looking like sad candy canes around the place.

He does also eat spiders, but watching him eat them is so unpleasant it is worse than dealing with the spider even for a severe arachnophobic like my mother.

Victoria J
                              Last edited by Victoria J; 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X