This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 minutes =/= 1 hour

This is getting really really annoying....

A couple of months ago I had a mandatory safety recall done on my Civic. They needed to put in a new driver's airbag inflator because the original had a defect that could cause it to explode in a collision and spray potentially lethal shrapnel. Fun....

I got the work done, and about a month later I got a call from the dealer that did the repair. They explained that the paperwork they need to submit to Honda so that the fact that my car had the recall done can be properly reported had somehow been botched, and they needed to have me bring the car back in so they could get some information from it. They said it would only take about 10 minutes.

However, since I'd already had the work done and I was in the midst of a hectic day when they called, I promptly forgot about it. Then I got antoehr call a couple of days ago reminding me of this, this time with a warning that I'd keep getting recall notices from Honda HQ if this didn't get fixed.

Well, I don't want to keep getting recall notices, and if I ever sell the car it *would* be helpful to have all the records in order, especially for a safety recall. So, since I had time earlier today and happened to be passing by that dealership, I pulled into the service department and attempted to get this mess straightened out.

Turns out that they hadn't recorded the serial number from the new airbag inflator (or something like that), and they needed to remove the steering wheel so they could get the number.

"It'll only take an hour"

Whoa whoa whoa....that's not what i was told on the phone. The guy had been VERY clear that it would take only "10 minutes."

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh..............

I explained that I had been under the impression it wouldn't take that long, and that I didnt' have an hour.

Fortunately, the service tech who i was dealing with (not the same guy who I spoke with on the phone) was understanding about it and instead scheduled an appointment for me to come in later and get it done.

If the guy who called me had been more clear about this, then I wouldn't have wasted a trip.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

guess it's not only SCs who lie about time but sometimes companies too.

that indeed is teh suck
    Last edited by PepperElf; 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: my spelling is also teh suck it seems

Comment

Everybody lies.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I'm sure the guy meant "It will only take 10 minutes AFTER we remove the steering wheel" right? </sarcasm>
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

You should at least get a free oil change out of them.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Everybody lies.
            Sometiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmme.
            GFY

Comment

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
              Sometiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmme.
              I was thinking more ... "House!"

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                A couple of months ago I had a mandatory safety recall done on my Civic. They needed to put in a new driver's airbag inflator because the original had a defect that could cause it to explode in a collision and spray potentially lethal shrapnel. Fun....
                So the bomb in the steering wheel (literally - in my hazmat guide, it lists airbag inflators as being class 1 - explosive, can't recall the UN number off-hand) rigged to detonate in the event of a collision was defective because ... in the event of a collision, it would blow up in your face?

After being told on the phone that it would be 10 minutes, and then coming in and being told it would be an hour, I'd be tempted to wait until the next recall letter came in and then go to a DIFFERENT dealer to get the recall taken care of. After all, if it would take an hour to R&R the module to get the serial number, it shouldn't take any longer to get it replaced. That way, the dealer that lied to you about the time involved wouldn't get credited for doing the fix.
                Last edited by Dave1982; 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  So the bomb in the steering wheel (literally - in my hazmat guide, it lists airbag inflators as being class 1 - explosive, can't recall the UN number off-hand) rigged to detonate in the event of a collision was defective because ... in the event of a collision, it would blow up in your face?
                  I think the bigger issue wasn't that it would blow up in the event of a collision... it was the fact that it would blow up and and spray potentially lethal shrapnel.

Speaking of puzzling classifications though; a friend of mine had to get his seatbelt retractor replaced in order to pass inspection in his van. He took it in ot the dealer, and they didn't have the part in stock, but they figured they could get it flown down from Ontario in a day or two.

Turns out, the retractor device has a compressed gas cylinder of some sort in it, which basically put it on the No Fly List. So instead of a couple of days, he had to wait for a week or so for the part to be shipped by land instead.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    Everybody lies.
                    Everything I say is a lie! And I am lying
                    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                      Everything I say is a lie! And I am lying
                      The name's Epimenides, right?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                      X