This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A regular call...

...followed by some random articulation and my mind spinning out of control afterwards, as per usual.

Apparently the lady I just talked to isn't too comfortable with the idea of gene technology. One of the last things she told me once I'd helped her solve the problem she was experiencing was something along the lines of:

"It's just disconcerting that they'll probably be cloning humans in the future. So strange."

And no, I have no idea why she told ME that. It's possible she just formed the opinion and wanted to get it off her chest, which is fine with me, I suppose, as long as it doesn't take her eons to actually express it. Five seconds is fine.

I just can't help but think that while gene technology, cloning and whatnot sounds strange to a lot of people right now... Well, that's just history repeating itself.

The Earth is round! - WHAT?
    Humans have evolved from apes! - WE HAVE?
    AIDS infects people regardless of sexuality! - IMPOSSIBLE!

Y'know?
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Whoever said that "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.

Interestingly, no one ever thought that the world was round. Apparantly the misconception was created in a novel at some point or something.

Sorry, i'm pedantic.

Comment

The misconception, in part, come from Columbus' voyage. Plenty of people said he was an idiot in his planning. The received wisdom is because they thought the waorld was flat, however it was his circumference was half what anybody else said, with proof.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Anyone who has read some Jules Verne...will know that his stories featured things a bit ahead of their time--submarines, undersea voyages, etc. Things that are pretty common now.

He wasn't the only one...Da Vinci designed a flying machine. It worked, but it would be several hundred years before the first successful airplane flight.

I'm sure people thought Karl Benz, and Gottlieb Daimler were nuts with their little "horseless carriages." Of course from that humble beginning, arose the mighty Mercedes-Benz! Several of Benz's early vehicles are still around...and in working order. Not too shabby for something built in the 1880s!

In other words, as long as there are "impossible" things, there will be people to solve them. It might take some time, but eventually, such problems will be overcome.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Cloning humans? Possibly, but not by an intelligent company/person in any part of the world that has legal systems like ours. Can you imagine the lawsuits if a clone ends up with any sorts of defects, especially something like the premature aging that Dolly developed? Especially if it happens during the teenage years? "I'm develping cervical cancer at 14 that's going to kill me, and it's all their fault! I deserve a bazillion dollars for pain, suffering, and shortened lifespan!"

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            Can you imagine the lawsuits if a clone ends up with any sorts of defects, especially something like the premature aging that Dolly developed? Especially if it happens during the teenage years?
            Was it REALLY premature aging? She was cloned from a what? 5 year old sheep? At the age she died at, taking the age of the sheep she was cloned from, she died within the standard life expectancy.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yeah Dolly showed part of the problem of why real world cloning wont be able to do all the special neato wonderful things science fiction cloning can do.

Too bad too I could use some new knees right about now. Maybe see what cybernetics are doing.

Comment

Working...
              X