This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on moving my internet a/c?

The problem is: I am moving into my mother's house. The phone and internet are currently in her name. She has not used the internet in three years or more and is unlikely ever to use it again (she is currently in hospital and not likely to be able to come home again, barring an amazing bounceback ...)

I am dealing with Aw Hell, if that helps, and getting contradictory advice from their customer service (har) and somebody at a local Bell office.

I know you can open multiple accounts in different names with a sympatico a/c so asked if I could transfer my existing sympatico a/c under my mom's a/c in that way. No, that couldn't be done. OK, fair enough.

I've asked about just moving my entire internet a/c there and here is where I'm getting the contradictory responses: customer service says, "Of course we can do that!" while the local guy says no, only one account per household, unless the house is deliberately set up for more than one (i.e. if you put in a basement apartment).

Since I'm getting the usual help from Bell, I thought I'd drop in here ...

Have your mother sign a limited power of attorney giving you control of the account. Then you have your choice: run the account from the power of attorney or close the account and open your own.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks, csquared. Her neighbour/good friend and my brother are co-PoAs so I will get one of them to cancel out her account. I don't anticipate any problems there as both know she hasn't been on the internet in years.

Comment

I ran into an odd problem with my then-provider, then known as Alltel. I wanted DSL service added, because I was tired of dial-up. The phone account was in Grandma's name, as it was her house... but she was in the nursing home. They had no problem at all letting someone not on the account add service and have equipment shipped out. They then had a very large problem with giving me the password to get the modem running so I could *use* the service they'd let me add. Fortunately, Grandma was at the time still together enough to talk to them and straighten it out.

(The phone service is long gone, but the utilities are still in her name today, even though she died last year, because the city would require me to put up an almost $300 deposit to get them in my name. Apparently, she hadn't had to pay a deposit, so they can't roll that over.)
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
        X