This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird issue

So my computer is....old. I got it back in 2007 back when it was running Windows Vista. It's a Gateway GT5628. Since then, I replaced the original HD with a 150GB one (the old one failed and I didn't have the money for a new one yet), added an additional 500 GB HD, upgraded to Windows 7, replaced 2 memory sticks and added a GT520 graphics card.
    It has this problem where it acts as it's running out of memory, but the Resource Monitor still says I have plenty to spare. It will chug, barely moving regardless if it's online or off. All of the optional services are off, all of the startup services are off. Sometimes it will work just fine when I restart, other times I have to restart several times. I can't think of anything else to do. What say you, oh gurus of teh interwebs?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model GT5628
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. DPP3510J.15A.0261.2007.0723.2348, 7/23/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Time Zone Central Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.74 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 10.3 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 9.54 GB
    Page File Space 6.84 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Your 4gb ram is definitely good, you're running W7 HP, I like that. Your stats say that your have 4gb installed, but your Available Physical Memory is 2.74gb. And your vid card has 1gb memory on it. I wonder what's taking some of your ram. (psst thanks for the stats those help!)

I'm really curious here too.
    You have done defrag (W7 does it automatically) you've cleaned up with CCleaner? You've ran virus cleaners etc, done scan for trojans? You've checked those, yes?
    Did you install any drivers, apps, updates recently? When did this weird shit start happening?

When you last had to do a few restarts, did you take a look at the Event Viewer?
    My Computer/right click/select Manage. See tree on left. Expand Event Viewer. Expand Windows Viewer.
    You've got a couple of things to look for. Dates, specifically. Let's say June 14th you had to reboot 3x. So check that date out on the Application log. Also check the System one. (System log is really Start up, Shut down, Nic, Hardware parts all running. DNS service start. Stuff like that)
    The application log is what I think would be the most helpful. There's the fun part, you find the Warnings and Errors in there, on your date. Then post 'em here or google the error numbers. And they can be very vague, trust me.
    Task Manager: toolbar @ bottom of screen. Right Click, select Task Manager

Another thought: when was the last time you started in Safe Mode? Could you start Safe Mode next time you have a burp, and go check the Event Viewer? (right there would be an easy find). After getting into Safe Mode after a burp, also check Task Manager to see what's running, and how smooth it is.

When your machine is being sluggish, are you looking @ Task Manager to find out wtf is hogging the system?
    Here are some things to look at. That shows you what's going on right now.

Processes:

That shows you what's going on with your RAM and CPU. Notice who's at the top?

Performance:

This shows you how much of your CPU and RAM you're using. It's a visual, helps me much much more.

Now, next time you go into Safe Mode, check those things out. Should be MUCH lighter in your running and performance parts!
    Last edited by Der Cute; 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM. Reason: fsckd stuff up
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Your stats say that your have 4gb installed, but your Available Physical Memory is 2.74gb. And your vid card has 1gb memory on it. I wonder what's taking some of your ram.
      Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut... but that "total physical memory" is .5 less than "installed physical memory" seems significant. And I'll just stop with that, so as to keep my feet and mouth separate.
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

It's odd, but ever since I posted this, it hasn't come back. My Event Viewer is showing the only problem is a Starforce Protection Driver that never got upgraded properly when I went to Windows 7. That comes up whenever I start Windows and I think it's unrelated.

I set my msconfig to use maximum memory. I've run my virus and malware programs and they came back clean. I also sicced a registry cleaner on it.

HYHYBT, that happens in Windows 7. Mine's a 32bit system that's capped at 3.50 GB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610

Comment

Nurian, you're right - I had forgotten about physical ram not always equal to what you see in the machine.
          Your BIOS IS old, 2007. It *might* help the memory if you update the BIOS, but for now, let's not.
          The machine sees 3.5g. Avail is 2.7. Honestly that's good, not much stuff using it.
          About Starforce: what version are you using? It looks like some versions of it are not compatible with W7. So that raises a question - does the mess happen when you're gaming or right after you game?
          http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/41...driver-windows
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

When I first started seeing that issue with the Starforce Protection, I went to their website and downloaded the Windows 7 version. The fault never pops up except on event viewer.

As for slowing down during and after gaming, it does to a certain extent but it will happen even if I did a full restart and didn't load a game.

Like I said....weird issue

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
              It's odd, but ever since I posted this, it hasn't come back.
              YAY!!!

HYHYBT, that happens in Windows 7. Mine's a 32bit system that's capped at 3.50 GB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610
              That's what I was vaguely remembering.
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Umm, question. What the heck are you running that's requiring Starforce? Personally I would not let that hunk of junk stuff come NEAR my system.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  Umm, question. What the heck are you running that's requiring Starforce? Personally I would not let that hunk of junk stuff come NEAR my system.
                  I have no idea, actually. I've loaded so many games on this thing, it's not even funny.

Comment

Do you have any temperature monitoring going on with the system? You could be overheating.

Comment

Working...
                    X