This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next time, you can die of thirst

It's one of those fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk days, around 95 degrees and humid. A couple of sweaty neighborhood boys come in and ask for water. Normally we charge a quarter for a glass of ice water, but it's sweltering outside and they look pretty hot, so I give them each a small cup. They drink up and leave.

Now, these are some of the local kids who are notorious for swarming the store in large groups, making a mess of the fountain area and not having any concept of math or money (the brightest among them can almost count to potato, but they seem to have very little trouble remembering Mom's EBT PIN). I should have realized from the beginning: this good deed will not go unpunished.

A minute later they're back with three or four other kids, apparently having spread the word that I'm giving out free water. I sigh and get them some. Two of them have money and start bombarding me with questions about what they can buy with their handfuls of pennies. One boy dumps his water all over a candy rack and the floor. Before they leave, I tell them, "Now, I did something nice for you guys. I do not want to go out there and see those cups all over the parking lot." They all nod. Right after they go outside, a customer comes in. One of the boys follows him and I ask what he needs.

KID: (pointing at customer) He said he'd get me something.
    CUST: I ain't gettin' you nothin'.

Defeated, kid goes back outside. Another customer approaches the door, and I see the child and his buddy talking to him. I head outside to tell them to stop asking people for money, and there are ripped-up bits of coffee cup all over the sidewalk. I immediately shift into Mom Mode and tell them to pick it all up and throw it in the trash. Of course, none of them tore up THEIR cup. Those cups belong to someone else. Never mind that all of them are still standing there.

My job is a fairly effective form of birth control.

That last line got me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That was nice of you to hand out water on a hot day, even if you didn't get paid back in a good way. Now my question is why in the hell did they not have water with them already? On most days I'm carting around a liter sized bottle of water. Sometimes two. And it doesn't even have to be hot.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        Now my question is why in the hell did they not have water with them already?
        The same reason they pushed their luck, harrassed the customers and trashed the place that was nice enough to give them water: they're stupid brats.

No good deed goes unpunished. Next time they come in, be sure to charge them for the water. And if they complain that you didn't charge them before, tell them it was a one-time only deal.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          Now my question is why in the hell did they not have water with them already? On most days I'm carting around a liter sized bottle of water. Sometimes two. And it doesn't even have to be hot.
          You're an adult with experience, maturity, and a brain.

They're kids.

'Nuff said.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            You're an adult with experience, maturity, and a brain.

They're kids.

'Nuff said.
            Good point!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

One of the kids I went to school with brought a huge jug of water that kept cold all day. Now thats planning.

I always had a water bottle and refilled at the fountain. Or some of my teachers bought water for their students and put it in the fridge. It was nice.

If I go out for a walk I make damn sure I have water with me. Florida at this time is quite unforgiving.

Comment

Working...
              X