This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Many, many years ago when I was just a baby DGoddess, my mom worked for a local drugstore called Ben Franklin Drugs. The store she worked at had a downstairs level, which had a cafeteria/sandwich shop and gift shop. Hugely popular, but around the early 70's, the owner sold the store to the Rite Aid chain.

Unfortunately, even though they had customers who shopped their for YEARS and not only shopped the main level but also were regulars at the cafeteria, the first thing the chain did was . . .

If you guessed took out the cafeteria and gift shop, you get a cookie.

And they couldn't quite figure out why that location lost a LOT of business, even after it was pointed out to them. . . .
    In my hometown, it was a place called Izzo's that did the reverse. When the pharmacist retired, they did away with everything but the fast food counter and became an ice cream and soda shop. Sadly, the economy recently took a turn for the really bad in my hometown and they shut their doors forever. It was one of the few places in town you could still get a milkshake made the old fashioned way.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Anybody remember the old "Here's your Sign" bit? I think we need to bring them back for some of these SC's.

If your light is on, and you are standing at your till ready to ring somebody up and are asked. "Are you open?" You should feel free to reply "No, I'm not even on the clock right now..I just like to stand here on my free time. Here's your sign."

If you are in full store uniform, while stocking something and somebody asks. "Do you work here?" You should feel free to reply. "No I've just come from the local mental hospital..and I'm looking for blunt objects. Here's your sign."

Ok..my mind is acting weird..ignore the looney in the corner.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Sometimes I look at a person's name and wonder, what could they have done, apparently in the womb, to make their parents do THAT to them?! Have these folks never been to an elementary school? 3rd graders aren't that many rings up the social ladder from cannibals!
        I am currently at a Waldorf school for my placement.

In the class I have at the moment, I have the following slightly strange names:

Pierah, Tilly, Indigo, Fern, Trinity, Blaise and Phoenix.

None of them are related to each other. (all of them are girls apart from the last two)

In the class I was formerly teaching, I encountered the following names:

Mishaya and Aodaney.

At the swimming centre where I'm learning how to teach kids to swim, I have encountered the following (not all in the same class thank fuck):

Aida, Ida (those two were in the same class), Lois, Odin and one kid who called himself Amon .

Quoth mhkohne View Post
        My wife is a teacher, so we were kind of careful about naming the kids sonthatnthey didn't take too much grief on that score.
        I'm going to be a teacher and already I am taking note of the more common names I've seen in the classroom and the pool so I know to be careful about strange names. Thankfully Freya and Odin seem to be decent-ish names

ETA: One of the weirdest requests I got at the supermarket back when plastic bags still existed, was "can I take about half a dozen of [the bags hanging on the racks] in this particular colour" (we were moving from brown to orange I think, she wanted the brown), because the bags matched her kitchen decor. My coworker and I were looking at each other like ?!
        Last edited by fireheart; 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Mytical, we need to reach back in time a little bit to the beginning of the here's your sign bit, the part where stupid people should be required to wear signs warning others of their stupidity

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Sometimes I look at a person's name and wonder, what could they have done, apparently in the womb, to make their parents do THAT to them?! Have these folks never been to an elementary school? 3rd graders aren't that many rings up the social ladder from cannibals!
            Mom was recently looking up obituaries from the town she grew up in, and found one that mentioned a surviving relative, whose name was Kingthing.

Kingthing is half-black, half-Hispanic, for what it's worth.

I want prospective parents to always think five, ten, and fifteen years ahead before naming their kids, and consider if there are any potential insulting nicknames that a given name could inspire.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              In the class I have at the moment, I have the following slightly strange names:

Pierah, Tilly, Indigo, Fern, Trinity, Blaise and Phoenix.

None of them are related to each other. (all of them are girls apart from the last two)
              Blaise - for a boy? Gotta say I misread the first one as Pariah...

Fern's not so bad, it's not common but there's a 50+ ex-local news anchor/breakfast TV host/actor's daughter "celeb" in the UK with that name & spelling so it's not uncommon either.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Oh lordy...

"Can I buy, like, tickets here?"

This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  Blaise - for a boy?
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaise_Pascal
                  Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                  At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Live n learn... This forum is educational as well as relaxational!

Comment

"Is this <Bank Name> in <Town that's 20 miles away>?"
                      or "Is this <Bank Name> in <Town that's 230 miles away>?"
                      No, we're in <Our Town>.
                      "Well, do you have their number?"

I can understand the confusion with the 3 banks basically having the same name, even though we're not affiliated. But you found our number using Google or directory assistance or whatever. You can damned well do the same again.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                      X