X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another book hunt

my Google-Fu is not working these days.

I remember reading a SciFi book back in the 70's that had mostly the same plot line as the movie The Last Starfighter (this book was published well before the movie was made. this was NOT a movie novelization). the movie The Last Starfighter did not credit this book with the story/plot line.

The plot involed a human man from Earth (the man had a lame or non functioning arm in the beginning but was fixed later) being (for lack of a better term) kidnapped or taken to an alien starbase. at the starbase he is informed about a galazy wide armada that is going to attack . he is among a group of life forms from all accorss the galaxy that has been choosen to man a fleet of starfighters to either fend off or destroy the incoming baddie armada. The man has no idea why he was choosen or someone from Earth was choose at all as Earth is not really in the path of the armada but accepts the "assignment".

The baddies armada was the kind that destroyed all life with a scorched earth type of operation.

The crew's rank is determined by (and this is ala the Star Trek episode called Mirror Mirror) by fighting one another and defeating someone above you til you become Captain.

The powers that be determine at some point in the story that the incomeing baddie armada is just too powerfull and can not be defeated. They order everyone to find some dead out of the way planet and bolthole up until the armada passed then try and restart life in the galaxy.

The Earthman does not accept this decision and fights his way up to Captain and trains his crew for what appears to be a suiside mission by taking on the baddies armada with just one ship.

The crew takes on the armada and get somewhat banged up but continue to fight until the powers that be realize that the battle is winnable and orders the rest of the startfighters out of hiding and into battle. The starfighter fleet untimately wins.

one of the wierd details I remember is that when each species is eating a greyout force curtain encirles them thus shielding other species from each others "feeding "habits.

Can anyone here give me some sort of clue as to the name of the book and/or the author?????

When I first saw the move The Last Starfighter I thought of this book. when the movie came out on tape and later on DVD I searched the credits for any mention of this book but found none of the standard :Based on or Inspired by the book Blah Blah by John Smith and that seemed strange to me as the movie and the book were very similiar in story and plot line
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

i was thinking maybe the forever war but that's perhaps a stretch.

i know how hard it is to find a book tho when you don't remember the big details like the author, title, or character's names. Had a book where all I remembered was that the spine was gold-colored and it said "Elves in LA?" on the back. And google didn't exist back then so I was manually checking books at the stores whenever I remembered. It took about 5 years.

I'd suggest, if you remember any specific phrases it may help with the search. for example, my "Elves in LA?" back in 95 it was a damn hard clue to follow. These days tho Google-fu gives me Knights of Ghosts and Shadows as the first link.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      Had a book where all I remembered was that the spine was gold-colored and it said "Elves in LA?" on the back.
      Is it bad that I knew exactly what you were talking about?
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
        Is it bad that I knew exactly what you were talking about?
        Ditto.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything about it. Not even TVTropes Alien Abduction page had a mention.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
        X