This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon Store...

In which I was the SC, and I'm feeling bad.

Here's the back story: My husband is a Pack Rat and has held on to every single cell phone we've ever owned. I have gone through all of them recently and am trying to recycle them by donating to Cell Phones for Soldiers. However, after we cancelled service on some old LG ENV3's, he locked the phone over a year ago with a 4 digit passcode and didn't write it down and now totally forgot it.

I have gone nuts trying to figure out how to unlock the phone and I cannot. Before I donate it to anyone, I want to be able to erase our data from it and I cannot do that without the 4 digit code to unlock it.

Since it's out of service, I cannot even try to do a reset through *228. So I called Verizon customer service to see if they could help me.... and they told me to go to a store locally and they could hook it up to software they have in store and they would be able to reset the phone back to the original passcode, which was the last 4 digits of the phone number.

Went to the local store and as soon as I walked in, a lady with a clipboard approached me and wanted to know why I was at the store. This was off-putting to me as I just literally walked in the door and she pounced. I explained the situation and here is how the conversation went:

Her: "Well, we cannot reset the phone without the 4-digit passcode".
    Me: "I could reset the phone if only I had the passcode, which is why I'm here. The Verizon phone rep told me that you could hook it up to software that would reset it back to the original code."
    Her: "The software we have isn't working and we no longer support these phones."
    Me: "So the phone rep lied to me?"
    Her: "Ma'am, I didn't SAY that. I said our software was down so we can't help you."
    Me: "When the software is back up, will you be able to help me with this?"
    Her: "Yes."
    Me: "Do you know when it will be back up? Later today? Later this week?"
    Her: "I don't know but try coming back again later this week."

I feel bad for getting snarky with her but I am operating on 2 hours sleep and drove all the way out to the store on the phone rep's word only to be told that the software isn't working and felt like I was pulling teeth trying to find out when the store's software would be fixed.

I understand it's not Verizon's obligation to help me fix a phone that was made inoperable due to a) our screwup and b) it's no longer in service with them.
    I dunno, the combo of being really tired and having had to drive this AM for 3 hours to LAX didn't help things, and I was put off by the fact that I had to document the reason I stepped foot in there as soon as I crossed the threshold.

So Lady Verizon Store Employee, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I know the whole clipboard thing is probably corporate policy and software issues are not your fault.
    Last edited by MamaMootz; 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

I have never understood why companies think it's a great idea to have their sales reps jump right at customers as soon as they come into the store without giving them any chance to look around or make contact themselves.

I like the idea of a greeting when the customer enters, but anything beyond that aside from "what brings you in today?" is not necessary.

Also, are you SURE this was an ACTUAL Verizon store and not an "authorized retailer"? A lot of the times those are "Authorized retailers" are even more pushy and shady than the phone company itself. (Full disclosure: I used to work at one).
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      I have never understood why companies think it's a great idea to have their sales reps jump right at customers as soon as they come into the store without giving them any chance to look around or make contact themselves.

I like the idea of a greeting when the customer enters, but anything beyond that aside from "what brings you in today?" is not necessary.

Also, are you SURE this was an ACTUAL Verizon store and not an "authorized retailer"? A lot of the times those are "Authorized retailers" are even more pushy and shady than the phone company itself. (Full disclosure: I used to work at one).
      Not sure, actually... the phone rep gave me an internet site to check and that's where I found the closest store. Now I have to go and look.

**Update: yes, this was an actual store and not an authorized retailer. I just double checked the Verizon site the phone rep gave me.
      Last edited by MamaMootz; 07-16-2012, 10:44 PM. Reason: double checked website
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.

Comment

Yea, this is how Verizon operates the stores now, at least during high traffic times. The idea is that clipboard lady gets you pointed in the right direction and in the queue of whoever you need to see. I think the idea is to minimize your time spent standing around trying to get someone's attention. I have to say I also find it kind of offputting-I'd rather they'd just staff up to handke the rush, but whatever.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Because we can't win one way or the other. Customers will complain that too many people are up their ass asking if they need help. Customers will also complain if you don't approach them immediately and start kissing their ass. It's just easier to do the latter.

And I believe you should talk to the customer. Asking "what brings you in today ?" is a definite. But effort should be made to learn more about what they want so they can receive the proper help and walk out with what they need.
          Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I think part of the problem is the clipboard. First because we've all learned to avoid people on the street with clipboards because they're usually doing surveys, and also because it puts something physical between the customer and the staff member (in the same way as a desk can act as a barrier in an office). It gives the impression that the customer is nothing more than a number to be shuffled through the system as quickly as possible. While this might well be true (okay, it certainly is!), it's not nice to have it shoved in front of one's face.
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

i don't think u were an SC at all. You didn't curse or scream, and you respond to her questions. A few months ago, I missed my flight due to TSA being too suspicious with my things. I was upset and mad. The boarding attendants were like oh well, suck to be you! I said "Well, the plane left a minute early...ridiculous!" I didn't curse nor scream but I was very upset. Well, anyway, while waiting for the next flight, u should have seen the way the airport clerks were STARING at me. Like I'd just exploded, even though I didn't. Ta....
              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post
                Because we can't win one way or the other. Customers will complain that too many people are up their ass asking if they need help. Customers will also complain if you don't approach them immediately and start kissing their ass. It's just easier to do the latter.

And I believe you should talk to the customer. Asking "what brings you in today ?" is a definite. But effort should be made to learn more about what they want so they can receive the proper help and walk out with what they need.
                I agree, but there's a right and a wrong way to go about that.

I went an AT&T store awhile back to look at phones. I just wanted to see what they had compared to my provider because I am almost off contract and contemplating switching providers.

So I wasn't able to sign up for service that day, nor had I firmly settled on switching to AT&T, nor did I have a specific type of phone I was looking for. I was merely evaluating their android devices.

This sales rep would NOT LET ME BROWSE for even a minute without asking all kinds of questions and, despite me repeatedly saying I was not signing up for service today, he kept pushing me to do so. He also kept trying to steer me towards an Iphone, despite my saying I was only interested in android devices.

I understand the need to push a little on customers sometimes, but when I've told you clearly that I am still under contract with another company and can't switch yet, I MEAN it!

I know it's far less of a hassle to browse phones online, but I like to be able to physically see and use the device myself before committing to it and I can only do that at a physical store.

Needless to say, AT&T is now off my list (not that it was ever high on it in the first place).
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

To the OP: If you haven't yet, check out the LG forum at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/116-LG . You might find the answer you're looking for, or else find someone who can answer it for you.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                    i don't think u were an SC at all. You didn't curse or scream, and you respond to her questions. A few months ago, I missed my flight due to TSA being too suspicious with my things. I was upset and mad. The boarding attendants were like oh well, suck to be you! I said "Well, the plane left a minute early...ridiculous!" I didn't curse nor scream but I was very upset. Well, anyway, while waiting for the next flight, u should have seen the way the airport clerks were STARING at me. Like I'd just exploded, even though I didn't. Ta....
                    I appreciate you saying this, but I had a very exasperated and snippy tone with her that doesn't come across in the actual typed out conversation.

On the clipboard thing, I'm certain it's a mandate passed down by corporate that every customer is greeted and categorized for "maximum efficiency of customer service" or some such nonsense.

Comment

I can't speak for Verizon, but I know why my usual Sprint store does that. They have a little greeter stand at the door and a person greets everyone instantly. They determine if someone wants time to look, has a tech issue, or if they need something small. If they need something that will require a rep they put their name on the wait list and tell them how long the wait is and let them look around. If it is something small like needing to pay a bill they show them the kiosk, or buying a charger they can do that at their little stand. It helps keep things streamlined in the store so that easy needs are moved along out of the way and things that will take some time are arranged in a waiting order.
                      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

I like the way Apple store does it. They have somebody standing at the door with an iPad, sure, but the second you tell them you're just looking, they say "Great! Let us know if you have any questions" and then....they leave you alone.

I've been known to walk out of stores where the staff won't leave you alone and even telling a couple of them why I was leaving.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I found this while doing a google search. Maybe it will help?

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/648871
                          Random conversation:
                          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                            I found this while doing a google search. Maybe it will help?

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/648871
                            Thanks - I appreciate you looking around for me. I tried that. Part of the problem is that I live in a Verizon Dead Zone - can't get a signal to save my life. When I got to the area with a signal, I tried *228 but it only works for current Verizon customers... which I am not.

I'm also going to take a look at the forums Shalom suggested - I don't see much point in donating it until I fix this because if I can't unlock it, neither can anyone else that the phone is getting donated to.

Argh.

Comment

A month or so ago I went into a Sprint store cause I heard I could get a discounted rate for working at <my company> and I wanted to comparison shop. The reps were extremely nice, not pushy at all, and very helpful.
                              A few days later I heard (from a coworker) that I can get a discounted rate with AT&T (who I've had for over a year). I went to the AT&T store (twice, forgot my check stub the first time) and the reps were pleasant and helpful both times (I was greeted both times by a rep both times and directed to where I needed to go but the rep didn't have a clipboard).
                              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Working...
                              X