Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There was salt on the glass. BIG grains of salt! (A two-fer!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    #2: And, of course, the gods forbid she should carry her own working pen in her purse!
    Oh, don't get me started. This was one of my biggest peeves as a cashier, many many years ago. The problem was the store I worked at didn't give us pens to use (my manager was the cheapest SOB on the planet) so we had to provide our own.

And I got so effing tired of having to replace MY pens because some halfwit would whip out a checkbook, ask me for a pen, and then conveniently 'forget' that the pen didn't belong to him/her.

I know what you're thinking - it happens all the time by accident. Yes, usually this is true, but I've actually had customers who assume that the pen is theirs to take. Even had a couple who smiled and REFUSED to return it when I asked, saying something along the lines of 'well, OTHER stores give away free pens'.

Well, then maybe you should visit the OTHER stores before you come to mine. I paid for the pen, Skippy, give it BACK!

Even tried the 'pen on a chain' gizmo; they literally ripped the pen off the chain.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
      pen
      One of these days, I'm going to go to work without any pens, and if none is found at the register we'll see what the customer does.

Since we installed the sign-the-screen-with-the-stylus device, people only need pens if writing checks, which is getting more and more discouraged, or if filling out tax-free forms or delivery addresses. As a consequence, those remaining who need pens are providing their own.
      Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

I finally got tired of people making off with my pens "by accident." They didn't get their receipt until I got my pen. It was subtle, but when they signed the store copy, or check, if the pen wasn't with the item, then I held the receipt until they got the "hint." If that didn't work, I'd say, "I'm sorry, I need my pen to finish this transaction." One person actually asked me how I needed it and I proved to them that sometimes, "the printer refused to print properly without a bit of nudging via the pen." By this time, it didn't matter, I had my pen and he wasn't getting it back

I started losing my pen to fellow cashiers, instead.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

My bar does not provide pens. So I bring my own in, AND I leave with them. Why? Well, I used to bring them in and leave them there for other bartenders to use, and within a WEEK all my pens were gone! So, fuck that...I bring my own, and take them with me. And that sometimes results in other bartenders asking, "Where are all the pens?" To which I say, quite honestly, "I don't know....I bring my own, and they'll be leaving with me."

Props to my bank, who supplies me with those pens. "Can I have some pens?" I ask them, and they'll give me a FREAKIN' PILE! "Free advertisement for us!" is their very simple philosophy.

A woman last week, who borrowed one of my pens, asked if she could keep it. "No," I told her, and gave her one from behind the bar. My pens are MINE.

Even had a couple who smiled and REFUSED to return it when I asked, saying something along the lines of 'well, OTHER stores give away free pens'.
          Yes, we are not one of those stores, and we need those pens. Now, give it back before we have a repeat of The Incident that spawned a federal oversight committee to review our store.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Even tried the 'pen on a chain' gizmo; they literally ripped the pen off the chain.
            You might try what our craft shop has done - get several extremely cheap pens, put them in a little flower pot. On each pen, glue on a very large, very garish fabric flower, even add some sequins & glitter - the more gawdy the better. Bright, bright colours.

It won't stop pen theft, but it should cut it down - the size of the flowers stop someone from absentmindedly putting the pen into purse or pocket, the garishness makes most people not want them anyway, and for the die hards, it at least makes it moer obvious that they're walking out with it.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The local kosher Chinese joint had pens imprinted with "This pen stolen from Wok In The Park Chinese cuisine" or some such words, in large bold print.

I used to tie my pens down with dental floss, this being the only type of string available to me at the Aid of Right. As my counters were also white, you couldn't see it was there. People would sign, pocket the pen and saunter off, only to have it fly out of their pocket as they got three steps away from the counter.

Comment

I lost my pen to a police officer once... You'd think they'd have their own!
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                  I used to tie my pens down with dental floss, this being the only type of string available to me at the Aid of Right. As my counters were also white, you couldn't see it was there. People would sign, pocket the pen and saunter off, only to have it fly out of their pocket as they got three steps away from the counter.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  You might try what our craft shop has done - get several extremely cheap pens, put them in a little flower pot. On each pen, glue on a very large, very garish fabric flower, even add some sequins & glitter - the more gawdy the better. Bright, bright colours.
                  We used to do that (not sure why we stopped). We'd get the stuff that fell from the fake flowers, tape them to the ends of the pens: big gaudy flowers and huge leaves. A few people asked why there was a huge frond on the end of the pen, and I'd answer, "That's so the pen doesn't leaf the store." Usually got a chuckle from the customer and the pen returned.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I love both the dental floss and the big-floppy-flower ideas!!!
                    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

You could also get one of those novelty joke pens that shock the user when activated, but.. well, you'd have to build up a tolerance and.. uh, never mind.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Yes, we are not one of those stores, and we need those pens. Now, give it back before we have a repeat of The Incident that spawned a federal oversight committee to review our store.....
                        That one sounds interesting - please post about The Incident.

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        I lost my pen to a police officer once... You'd think they'd have their own!
                        Actually, they don't - it's to keep them from sending people there without a trial.
                        Seriously, his was probably a case of absent-mindedness - they normally carry their own, so after finishing writing, he put it (what he thought was back) in his pocket and left.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          That one sounds interesting - please post about The Incident.
                          There was no Incident, and no federal oversight committee review. Just me being silly.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                          X