X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More WIC woes, bag buffoonery, and ?

A few tales from yesterday.

You realize what you just admitted to, right?

I was called in early; didn't really want to go in after dealing with idiots in town all morning but after witnessing this I was glad I did. I was put on register, next to co-worker D (awesome older woman). D has to deal with this:

A black woman (this will be important) comes through her lane with a WIC check and some items. D starts ringing, and then her register makes a few angry beeps. SC is trying to buy over the allowed amount of cereal (out of three separate boxes, only one meets the guidelines) and a package of the individually wrapped Kraft singles. While you can buy Kraft on WIC (mostly only store brands unless a namebrand is on sale), it has to be real cheese. The singles say 'processed cheese food' on the label, so it's not cheese.

So D informs SC that she can't buy the items on WIC, but can pay cash for them. SC then flips out, ranting "whaddayou mean I can't get Kraft, I can get Kraft and this is Kraft!" Then manager A gets involved...she's black as well.

A: "WIC says you can get a block of cheese. This is wrapped. WIC says this doesn't work, I will not override it."

SC tries to pull the race card numerous times on both of them, A stands firm.

SC: "I get this all the time at [store] in [othertown]! [Othertown] lets me get this on WIC all the time!"

A (sotto): Do they now...
    (if that is true, SC could lose WIC privileges and there would be consequences for anyone at that store who was involved in the overrides)

Lather, rinse, repeat god knows how many times. At this point almost everyone on the front end is looking at that register.

After one more attempt (and failure) at the race card SC storms out without any of her crap. I was hoping she'd left the check so we had her name, but that would be too easy.

I bought D a coffee after that.

Um, I need bags in order to bag.

This woman got both me and manager C seeing red for a bit. I don't have very fond memories of my grandmother (she was a narcissistic, controlling, bitter miserable person in her later years) and this woman was channeling her I swear. Almost looked a little bit like her. Sweet as pie when I asked for her store card, then it went downhill.

We were stupidly shorthanded yesterday, so I almost never had a bagger. My bag rack behind the register had run out with the previous customer, I reach down to grab more bags (after closing the transaction) and find that box hadn't been opened yet. So I say: "Just a moment, I have to get some bags." I'm crouched down in a very small space wrestling the box into position to get a few reams of bags when something taps me on the head. I react and straighten up, coming very close to knocking myself out on the belt housing; when I get my feet back I see that SC has the pen in her hand and guess she tapped me with it (I might have snarled a bit, not sure)

SC (raging old-lady bitch, ACTIVATE): EXCUSE ME! Are you going to bag my purchases for me?
    Me: Yes, I just need some bags and then I'll do it.
    SC: You don't need bags! I need you to bag my items! You must serve me! (oh no you DIDN'T)
    Manager C shows up at the bagger station.

C: Hold on a moment ma'am, she needs to get some BAGS to BAG your items. (to me) I got bags here, I'll do it. (hand signals for me to go on break after this)

We both assumed she wants plastic bags, as that's what I was getting when she hit me. Nope....

SC: What are you doing? I wanted paper!
    C gets a paper bag.
    SC: What are you doing? I want bags with handles!
    Back to plastic, and five minutes explaining to her why our paper bags don't have handles. More sound and fury but both C and I want to get her out of the building as quickly as we can. She did go up to the desk and try to complain, but A was there so she didn't get anywhere.

Untitled
    Another old lady, a bit rough around the edges but not as bad as the previous one. I actually have a bagger now, so things are going smoother.

She wants paper in plastic, packed lightly. I consider 'lightly' to be a bag that I can lift with two fingers, so I pack all the produce in one bag and test-lift it. Fine. The old lady lifts it into her cart...you would think there were three watermelons in there. Grunting, over-the-top drama.

"Oh my gawd, what the hell are you doing LADY?! That's too heavy!"

Blink, repack (I think I took out one grapefruit) and she's happy.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

That's too much drama for my mama...LOL!

Comment

My policy when cashiering was, if someone asked for 'light' bagging, pack the first one and then have the customer test it to see if that was okay for them. Once we had the right weight in that first bag, I used it as a reference point for the others.

I don't know if you have the luxury of doing that at your job, but it might be an idea you could try...
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Ever watch American Dad (ok, I admit, late night insomnia, hate a too-quiet house when I sit at the computer sometimes equals questionable choices (Anyone not familiar, a family has an alien living with them. A wise cracking, pain in the a** alien (like Alf, only more R rated ).

The alien bitches about everything, to everyone. Always. In one episode, they tried to get him to be nice. He tried. Then it spun into an ET imitation, he started geting sick, even the potted plant was dieing.

Turns out, on his planet, they're all bitchy. Being mean keeps them healthy. By being nice, he was killing himself.

So case closed, that explains it all - SCs are all aliens, and they really do just want something to bitch about, cause if they don't, they'll die.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          So case closed, that explains it all - SCs are all aliens, and they really do just want something to bitch about, cause if they don't, they'll die.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.
          Eureka!! I think you finally solved it. I'm keeping this in mind from now on.
          "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Think we could get the Men In Black to round them up and ship them back to their home planet? That'll give them tons to bitch about, enough to keep them in top shape for the trip!

Dreamstalker, sounds like you've got pretty decent managers in A and C. May they continue to be so!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Syriilord, I usually do, but the other bag was a big jug of orange juice and she only wanted two bags total, so 'light' was parsed as 'lighter than the jug of OJ'.

There's a chance their home planet sent them here because they didn't want to deal with them (and nobody else did either). If we sent them back that might start a war.

WIC lady got reported (the state takes a dim view of welfare fraudsters). Just wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that call. Whether this also means she's banned from the stores I know not, just that her benefits are probably in the process of being reviewed and possibly pulled (I would think Corp has the ability to review transactions from a given store; we have her name, picture and what store she was scamming).
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-23-2012, 01:44 AM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                There's a chance their home planet sent them here because they didn't want to deal with them (and nobody else did either). If we sent them back that might start a war.
                Hm, fair point. Let's see... Mercury is nice and empty. Send them there to set up their own colony, they can't complain about it being too cold!
                My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Hm, fair point. Let's see... Mercury is nice and empty. Send them there to set up their own colony, they can't complain about it being too cold!
                  Um, the DARK side of Mercury is well below freezing (-261.4^F; -163^C). The other side is well above boiling (800.6^F; 427^C).

SC
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

So set them down near the human-tolerable longitudes and let them step east or west until they find a "comfortable" temperature. :P
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Turns out, on his planet, they're all bitchy. Being mean keeps them healthy. By being nice, he was killing himself.

Hmmmm...that would explain it.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        So set them down near the human-tolerable longitudes and let them step east or west until they find a "comfortable" temperature. :P
                        And if they don't, they'll have something new to complain about, so they'll still be happy!
                        My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                          Um, the DARK side of Mercury is well below freezing (-261.4^F; -163^C). The other side is well above boiling (800.6^F; 427^C).

SC
                          Since Mercury roates, it all evens out.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                          X