This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not your private elevator....

This happened a while back, and I was reminded of it because I'm covering this particular site again.

This site is a hospital, and actually encompanses all of their off-site buildings, including the second (smallel) hospital about 25 minutes to the north.

So one day a few months back I had to go to the second hospital to do a full sweep of all the copiers we maintain up there (make sure they were working, had plenty of paper, etc) as well as do a supply inventory. This meant I had to explore each of the 5 floors and take several trips in the elevator.

Partway through the task, I was on the 3rd floor waiting for the elevator to go up to the 4th floor. Also waiting was a woman and her wheelchair-bound mother.

The rightmost elevator arrived, and the doors started to open. The woman began wheeling her mother towards the elevator while I hung back a few steps to give them enough room to maneuver, but the second the doors finished opening they started to close again!

I lunged for the UP button and pressed it but it was too late. The elevator had already started going back up.

Woman: Wow....she was really impatient.

Yep...the woman already in the elevator decided that she was too important and had started stabbing the door close button the moment the elevator stopped on the 3rd floor, thus slamming the door in the face of a wheelchair bound person.

(Contrary to rumors, in some elevators the door close buttons DO work, and this was one of them).

I admit it is frustrating if you are in a hurry and the elevator stops at a floor other than the one you want, but that is just the nature of the beast. Doing what she did was rude as all hell, and no different than cutting in line at the store or or really an other SC-type behavior.

Bitch
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

This is why I am glad that in my old dorms, (with 17 floors), the doors stayed open a min. of like 15-20 seconds from the time they opened fully before the door close button would work. It was awesome!
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

WTF?

You were there first but let them go ahead because you were being polite & considerate. And the younger woman pretty much took a giant shit on you.

what a bitch

Comment

To be fair, it was a hospital and she may have been rushed. When I had to go to the ER from the OR to do a tube I wasn't taking the stairs 7 floors and end up shaky and out of breath. I wasn't staff (doing clinical rotations) so I did not have an override key to just go straight down. If it wasn't a hospital employee then she was just a bitch, unless she was in labor. My sister did that when she went to have her son.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          You were there first but let them go ahead because you were being polite & considerate. And the younger woman pretty much took a giant shit on you.
          No no....the woman and her mother weren't the ones who did that. It was the person already in the elevator when it arrived on our floor who did it. We all got to wait for the next one.

And I rather doubt she had a good reason for it, as the ER was on the 2nd floor and we were on the third, going up.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
            To be fair, it was a hospital and she may have been rushed. When I had to go to the ER from the OR to do a tube I wasn't taking the stairs 7 floors and end up shaky and out of breath. I wasn't staff (doing clinical rotations) so I did not have an override key to just go straight down. If it wasn't a hospital employee then she was just a bitch, unless she was in labor. My sister did that when she went to have her son.
            The hospitals here have sets of elevators just for hospital personnel (and for the moving of patients from one floor to another). When I was on my rotation at a hospital here, we (there were two of us) weren't technically on staff, but we still had badges and we took those elevators when we were delivering drugs to the various floors.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I was doing Paramedic clinicals, no hospital ID. The hospital has being renovated so they locked the staff elevator for key use only (right next to the regular ones). For the most part I just stayed in the OR's with the anesthesiologist but we were on call for ER tubes if they couldn't get it.

Most hospitals have staff elevators, but not all. It depends on the age of the building.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                No no....the woman and her mother weren't the ones who did that. It was the person already in the elevator when it arrived on our floor who did it. We all got to wait for the next one.
                Oooh! I read it as PepperElf did and thought the wheelchair was in the lift. I had to go back and reread it.

Wow...What a bitch!
                Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I've had that happen to me a couple of time when my mom was in one of the smaller hospitals back before her surgery. There wasn't a staff elevator that I saw since I was regularly with nurses and attendants in there.

I just chalked it up to medical staff needing to move quickly. Emergencies can happen in any room. It would make their lives easier if it was only the ER, but sadly, it's everywhere.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

And I rather doubt she had a good reason for it, as the ER was on the 2nd floor and we were on the third, going up.
                    ah. my bad.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                      Yep...the woman already in the elevator decided that she was too important and had started stabbing the door close button the moment the elevator stopped on the 3rd floor, thus slamming the door in the face of a wheelchair bound person.
                      Devil's advocate: Maybe the woman on the elevator was trying to push the open door button to keep the door open for the wheelchair, but pushed the wrong button. Those symbols can be confusing if you're not used to them.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

there is still time to correct it if that's the case (I've pushed the door close button then seen someone heading for the elevator before, I was able to push door open before the lift moved.)

Comment

Working...
                        X