This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two things what I am proud of

Because I handled suck the right way and the boss was happy.

Last night when he'd gone home and I was serving the last few customers before closing, a woman walked in, plunked a big box on the counter, and said, "You need debit paper?"

"I don't know," I said. "I think we have enough."

"No, you need some."

"Did we order it?"

"...nnnnooooooo."

"We don't need any."

"You the boss?"

"No, the boss isn't here."

"Call him, I'll wait. Ask if he needs roll paper." (The box was full of the sort of rolls that go in the cash register and credit card reader for printing receipts.)

I wasn't about to call him while he was probably sleeping (he's the chef and he gets up super early) so I opened a drawer to pretend I was looking for our roll paper supply. Lo and behold there were three rolls in the drawer. "Actually, I'm just checking now and I can see that we have enough."

This whole time my voice was creeping into a direction of hard-and-icy. I didn't really mean for it to do that, but I inadvertently started it when I realized she was one of those pretend-they-already-ordered-the-shit door-to-door salespeople. I'm not sure if she decided she was in deep water (I wish!) but she started to say something and then changed her mind, handing me a business card sticker. "Call Mr. K if you need roll paper. Give this to your boss."

She lingered a bit and looked at the food, and asked if it was Chinese food. She was Asian, I'm not but my boss is, so maybe she was surprised to see a white girl seemingly running the Chinese noodle shop. I said yes, trying to modulate my voice towards cheerful, but not really succeeding. She said thanks and left.

Distract me from paying customers... rrgh.

Today a woman ordered a half order of noodles and a half order of dumplings. I said I could get her a combo plate which would be the same thing.

"Are you sure that's two half orders?"

"Yes, that's how the two-item combo works."

So she agreed, and I gave her X dumplings and a half order of noodles, and she got a diet pop. Now, we were busy, but I think I did ask her at some point "how's the food?" and she said it was fine.

When she asked for the bill I brought it to her and she said she had trouble seeing the type, so I read it out to her. She got this frosty look and said, "Why is it $10?"

"See, here's the price of your combo, and there it is on the menu, and here's the price of your drink."

"But I wanted HALF orders."

"These are half orders. A half order of dumplings is X dumplings, and this is a half order of noodles."

"I didn't want to pay that much. I asked you several times if this would be the half orders I wanted, and you said yes. Once I got three dumplings in the two half order meal and it was cheaper than this."

It was the half orders, of course. I'm not sure what in her mind constituted half orders. She seemed to be implying that she wanted a half-order-sized box with two types of items in it -- something my boss and I had just been talking about and he had expressly said we shouldn't do for customers. (His example was something like, "imagine if a customer wanted one forkful of filet mignon and one oyster and one sip of Beaujolais Nouveau -- no way.")

I said, "The boss just stepped out, let me get him and we'll figure out what we can do for you." So I went next door to the fruit stand, where the boss sometimes goes and hangs out with the old Italian guy there. Boss wasn't there. I remembered that he'd actually gone out to buy something we were out of, so I went back and said to the lady, "He's actually just gone out on an errand. If you wait a few minutes we'll deal with this."

"I can't wait, I'm in a hurry and I need to leave soon." Okay, she'd said in the beginning that she wasn't sure she had time to eat in, and had looked at a clock and decided she did. But she sure was there for a long time eating that tiny meal in a hurry.

I kept a stone face through all of this, admittedly not making eye contact with her. I was more frustrated than worried because I knew I was in the right, but I wasn't sure what I could do for her. I was not about to comp her meal for whining, or even give her a discount -- the boss would be seriously pissed off if I did. I was trying to think of something to say when the boss walked in. I went to wash dishes and he listened to her argument.

I am pretty sure it was not the exact same argument that she gave me. Or maybe it was, I'm not sure. But if she was scamming, she made the mistake of saying that she thought two half orders would be cheaper than a combo. Bossman said, "no, half orders are $5 each, and the combo of two items is $7. My employee was trying to save you money. A half order of dumplings is four dumplings, which is what you got." This is the point of combos, as I understand it.

"I thought I got three." (I thought she'd meant before that she got three the last time she was here... what?)

"Nope," I chipped in from my sudsy haven, "I gave her four, it says right on the chart that a half order of dumplings is four."

"She was saving you money," said the boss, and the lady gave in and paid.

After she left, one of our regulars came up to pay her own bill, and gently mocked the woman for being either stupid or a scammer. The boss told me that I handled it exactly right, too, and that this woman had come in before (not frequently, thank goodness) and always pulls this kind of thing. I'm still not sure what I would have done if the boss hadn't walked in at that moment. I could have logicked my way out of it, but we all know that customers only listen to boss logic and not employee underling logic, even if it's the same.

Sounds like a scam, all right. If the price was potentially a problem, why didn't she ask about it when she ordered? I hope she doesn't come back.

ETA: Now I want noodles!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

He can't just ban her?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I think he doesn't ban her because (a) she comes in very rarely, and (b) he talks her into paying for what she ordered every time.

Comment

At that point, she should prepay for her meal, have explained to her EXACTLY what comes on it, and eat it.

Comment

Is the roving register-tape salesperson a common thing in retail? That seems like a really bizarre way to sell stuff that is unlikely to work. I totally understand the "send a bill for something you never ordered" scam, but I didn't know it had an in-person version too.

Comment

sirwired, I doubt that her products were faulty, they were just rolls of paper, and they looked identical to the ones we have. It's just that the way she started the conversation made me think she wanted me to pay her for something I assumed the boss had already ordered.

For what it's worth the business card sticker stated that the company sold roll paper and a certain brand of imported Asian beverages. It struck me as a very strange combination. Legitimate products but sneaky selling.

Comment

I'd be more inclined to believe that the paper salesman got the paper "off the back off a truck", so to speak. Trying turn a quick profit on ill-gotten goods.
                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  Is the roving register-tape salesperson a common thing in retail? That seems like a really bizarre way to sell stuff that is unlikely to work. I totally understand the "send a bill for something you never ordered" scam, but I didn't know it had an in-person version too.
                  The scam also run in an office environment also. I got a few of them. They either send you something that LOOKS like an invoice for services rendered or they call you saying that your order (computer or office supplies) is being shipped and they need some kind of authorization.

In the case of the "invoice" it acutally looks real unless you look at it for more than a second. The "invoice" can be for supplies (that you never ordered and have NO knowledge of) or services (like computer repair services for a company that you have never heard of nor contacted).

The phone call entails trying to bullshit you about some shipment they are "sending you" OR if you would lilke to "try" out a printer ribbon they say is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The catch is that you have to order like 2 dozen ribbons to get the "tryout" one.

I had one person show up at my company (small family run jewelry company) and try and BS his way to selling us stuff.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

When I worked in a cafe recently we used to get a lot of people walking in trying to sell us something out of a rucksack or similar. The most bizarre one was the woman who insisted I need a non slip doormat for outside. She was just carrying one of the large heavy duty doormats around with her, no business cards or anything. Surprisingly enough she didn't get a sale from me but she did amuse my customers at the time!
                    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                      I'd be more inclined to believe that the paper salesman got the paper "off the back off a truck", so to speak. Trying turn a quick profit on ill-gotten goods.
                      More likely, it's surplus.

For whatever reason, printer and copier supplies has an amazingly high percentage of shady sales tactics tied to it. I've never understood it, myself, but we get people calling all the damn time trying to sell us their services. I love deflating them by telling them the prices we actually pay (a really good local toner refurbisher, and our machines are from auctions). You can hear the wind coming out of their sales as they finish up the call.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      ... or they call you saying that your order (computer or office supplies) is being shipped and they need some kind of authorization.
                      The best way to deal with these scammers is to not give them any information and just confirm what information they have. I actually kind of liked playing with these creeps when I was reception. It's fun to hear the change in pitch when they realize that you know what they're up to.

Quoth Beki710 View Post
                      When I worked in a cafe recently we used to get a lot of people walking in trying to sell us something out of a rucksack or similar.
                      These people are absolutely running surplus. They get their product for cheap at customs, freight, and bankruptcy auctions, then hire a ton of people who are desperate for work to walk around and hawk the stuff for commission.

My workplace isn't far from the local customs warehouses, and there's a place nearby that does this. At least once a month we'll get some guy with a bin or pack of crap stuff trying to unload it.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        These people are absolutely running surplus. They get their product for cheap at customs, freight, and bankruptcy auctions, then hire a ton of people who are desperate for work to walk around and hawk the stuff for commission.
                        Haven't they heard of eBay? That's where we get most of our supplies.

Comment

At the margins you get in surplus of that variety, eBay pretty much loses you money.

My company does surplus as both the primary (specific industry) and secondary function, and the crap you see people peddling out of boxes has a margin so razor thin that you pretty much have to get desperate people to sell it on commission to make any profit at all.

Honestly, I don't understand how they make any profit at all with that MO, but it seems to work for some of them.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X