X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Lane Open?

I work at a grocery store now.

I had just gotten done with a customer about 30 seconds before hand, and I'm standing there, behind my register waiting for another.

Customer: "Is this lane open?" I blink. Do I say yes? No.

Me: "No."

The customer actually walked away.

I stood there laughing silently to myself.

I do this from time to time, because I actually get asked this a lot, and it annoys me.

Luckily I work in a place that allows for smart-assery.

----------------

Another instance of customer asshatery:

We have sample boxes in each checkout line.

A customer walks up, looks at the box and says this, in a very snooty, uppity, entitled to everything voice:

"I want you to know that this (points to sample box) IS NOT MINE. It was there when I came up."

I'm taken aback by the moment and say,

"Yes, I'm aware they aren't yours, because they're the store samples."

He says nothing in return.

________

Sample box asshatery:

I get this numerous times too.

"Did someone leave this (points to sample box) here?"

Me (in drone monotone voice): "No. They are our samples. Today it's pineapple coconut bread. You're welcome to try one. "
    Last edited by HeatherWolf; 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM.

Quoth HeatherWolf View Post

Customer: "Is this lane open?" I blink. Do I say yes? No.

Me: "No."

The customer actually walked away.

I stood there laughing silently to myself.

I do this from time to time, because I actually get asked this a lot, and it annoys me.

Luckily I work in a place that allows for smart-assery.

Ok, I have to admit, I've shopped in some stores that are always so crowded, always seem to have long lines at every single register, that if I see a register with no one at it, I do tend to ask if they're open before taking items from my cart, assuming that an empty register at that store is most likely because the cashier is going on a break, fixing a problem, etc. and has just forgotten to turn off the light.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Where I work there are but 5 registers, and usually 4 are open, and we don't have lights to indicate that we're open. (Maybe I should have mentioned that) Sorry.

Comment

Yeah, I've had to ask the "is this cash open?" more times than I should need to. Mainly because there aren't any lights for the cash and more often than not, the person behind the counter isn't manning the till but actually working on stuff at the counter. It happens soooo often like that.

The sample boxes thing is funny XD. At least wait to see if you actually try to ring it up lol.

Comment

I don't understand why they think tills with lights on and people standing there are closed, which is what happens at my store. If they do realize I'm open, they will sometimes say, "I'll give you something to do," as if I had nothing. I do have eight things to do, but I'm standing for just a moment to make sure there isn't anyone else coming to be served before I walk away to the candy freight. I just find it insulting, like the person is saying I'm not working, or just standing around. I'm not like that.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
          X