Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'd need my address from the census to tell me I didn't respond to it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd need my address from the census to tell me I didn't respond to it...

Both my mom and I got postcards from the registrar of voters saying that "according to our records, you have not responded to the annual census". Mom was working for the US Census last year and we both filled out the form. (according to her the census was the most disorganized place she ever worked so it's not surprising if they 'lost' records)

In order to get my present address, they would have had to get it from...the census form. Unless there was also a town census...but we never received anything to that effect. We both voted in the last primaries.

The place to return it to is a PO box, but it would be easy enough to run over to town hall and check which mom plans to do. If it is legit, fine. We're mainly curious why we got the cards in the first place...if there was a town census how come we never got that paperwork?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

No, they can have a database in a computer at town hall, when you respond to the census, they check off your name. Every friday run a list of nonrespondants and print a postcard, drop in the outgoing mail.

I think it is too frightening to realize that I would know something like this off the top of my head
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

We're still not sure which census they're referring to. If it's the national census, we did that. If it's an annual town census...we never knew they had one.

Mom's lived here for 8 years, and me 3. Unless there was a minor election we didn't know about..but I wouldn't think that failure to vote in one would kick us into the "not registered" pile.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Could be the State census.
        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Well, the postcard was legitimate but apparently just a formality (we didn't have a problem with saying we never got the original forms, all they wanted to know was that we still lived there). In the process of getting that sorted, it was discovered that they have both of us living at that address since 1995 Er...no, we were across town until 2002.

That was fixed, although I'd still like to know how they came to that conclusion.

Comment

Working...
          X