This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mass. RMV is Not Impressed With Entitled Jerks

Both my husband, my daughter and I witnessed this from different perspectives. Hubby was waiting in the parking lot and I accompanied my daughter into the RMV (the Registry of Motor Vehicles) so that she could get a title transfer done.

What Hubby saw:

After Daughter and I went into the RMV, a tow truck with a car on the back drove up the door of the RMV and a man jumped out of the passenger side. He yelled at the driver to wait while he ran inside. The driver appeared to agree and then pulled out of the parking lot at top speed as soon as the passenger was clear of the vehicle. The passenger (we'll just call him Entitled Jerk, for indeed, it was he) looked after the truck dumbfounded for a second then barged in front of a man on crutches to get to the Registry door. Not only that, he let the door slam in the guy's face. The guy on crutches had to stop and lean on them in order to open the door.

What daughter saw:

I was talking to the receptionist and getting the required forms to fill out, while daughter witnessed what Entitled Jerk did to the guy on crutces from the inside. She went over and held open the second set of doors for the guy on crutches. She's a nice kid. She also saw Entitled Jerk huffing and puffing because he had to wait behind me at the receptionist's counter.

At this point I wasn't aware that any of this had taken place. I brought the forms over to the table to fill them out. Once that was done, we were supposed to go back to the receptionist and she would give us a number and we would wait for our number to be called. (I know it sounds very convoluted, but it the system actually works very efficiently. Most of the time you are out of there in 15 minutes or less.) The table only had so much room. Daughter and I were filling our our forms along with some other folks, soon to be joined by Entitled Jerk, who was taking up much more space than necessary. When Guy-On-Crutches got the table, Daughter noticed that Entitled Jerk wasn't making room for Guy-on-Crutches, even though he easily could. She nudged me over a bit to make room for Guy-on-Crutches, but Entitled Jerk's jerkitude still hadn't made it onto my radar. That was going to change:

What I saw:

As luck would have it, Entitled Jerk finished his forms before we did, so he went to get his number before we did. We finally finished our forms and got our number. We hardly sat down when our number was called. The automated annoucement told us to go to window 12, which was one of four windows serving registration/title customers. So we go to Window 12 and it just happened that the clerk at window 12 had just finished serving Entitled Jerk. That was when I noticed him, because he took two steps to the side and stayed there trying to keep asking questions of Clerk 12 while we did my daughter's transaction.

This is what I gathered from the several interruptions of our transaction:

o He had a sizeable number of speeding tickets

o He hadn't paid them

o The officer who pulled him over for speeding today impounded his car

o He didn't feel he should have to pay them because he was in the military

One line he uttered was too priceless not to remember:

"Well you gotta tell the cops to stop pulling me over all the time!"

After a point, Clerk 12 just began to ignore him. As a matter of fact we had the feeling that she had pushed the magic button to summon a new customer to her window in the vain hope that this guy would get the hint and go away.

So we continued our transaction with Entitled Jerk standing two feet from us acting like one of Blasphemy's impatient customers. You know, huffing, sighing, tapping his foot, muttering, clearing his throat...I swear to Gord he was doing all of the above.

That's when he got onto my radar and that's when I got passive-agressive mean.

I looked at Entitled Jerk, then back at Clerk 12, "Could you repeat that please. I'm not sure I understood."

Clerk 12 looked a bit resigned as she repeated the information she had given me.

"Thank you," I said.

Clerk 12 then asked my daughter for her license.

My daughter replied, "I only have a learners' permit..."

"And we don't have it with us. I'm sorry." I finished for her, while tilting my head toward the hovering Entitled Jerk.

Daughter opened her mouth for a moment, then she got it.

"I'm going to have to look that up on computer," said Clerk 12. "It will take a few moments." She still seemed annoyed.

"That will be fine. We aren't in a hurry," I replied warmly. I made sure to flash a nice big smile at Entitled Jerk, then turned back to Clerk 12 with the same smile. Clerk 12 caught on and smiled back.

It took her longer than usual to look up my daughter's learner's permit. Oh, dear.

After a little bit more time, we finished the transaction and it came time to pay the fees.

Clerk 12 asked for seventy-five dollars. I wasn't sure why it was so high and asked her to break it down.

Entitled Jerk started dancing with impatience. Literally. He looked like a little kid who needed to pee RIGHT NOW.

Clerk 12 broke it down for me. Ah, yes. I had forgotten about a non-blood relative gift transfer fee.

I offered to pay in cash.

Entitled Jerk seemed to brighten up. He started getting ready to budge in as soon as I left the window.

However, when I counted my money (most of it was in ones) I found that I had only 60 dollars.

"I'm sorry. I guess I'll have to pay by check," I said. For the first time in her life, I think Clerk 12 found this amusing.

Entitled Jerk, however, was not amused. Especially not when I took my sweet time calculating my balance (can't be writitng a rubber check to the RMV, you know? gotta be sure I have enough in there), filling out the register, calculating the balance again, slooooowly writing out the check, handing it over, having it handed back because I forgot to write something in the memo (oops!), filling out the info in the memo and handing it back.

"OK. You're all set. We'll mail your title to you. You can expect it in 6-8 weeks."

"Thank you," I replied. "You have a nice day!"

"You too!"

Before I even had a chance to walk away from the window I heard the computer voice making the automated announcement, "Now serving number A. One. Oh. Two. At. Window. Twelve."

Apparently Clerk 12 had pushed the magic button again to summon another customer before Entitled Jerk could start harassing her again.

On the way out I noticed that the state trooper who guards the door was starting to move toward her as well. I think she may have pushed another magic button as well.

When we got out to the car, Hubby told us about seeing a guy get abandoned by a tow truck and almost bowling over Guy-With-Crutches. We soon realized it was Entitled Jerk and told him what happened inside the RMV.

We would have loved to stick around to see what happened next, but had to get going.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

o He didn't feel he should have to pay them because he was in the military
    i'd love to see what his company commander has to say about this; unpaid speeding tickets? that can lead to lost rank and yanked priviledges; being in the military, he should know this, but apparently, he was sleeping through this particular part of indoc for soldiers.

damned idiot.

i hope his insurance cancels his ass; without it, he can't drive on post...
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Yeah, you know, I found to my suprise that's true. A male friend was being stalked by this insane chick who was in the military (long, boring story) and who only stopped when he contacted her superiors. Apparently, they can put the kibosh on illegal stuff like that with a quickness.

Comment

I had a Co-worker get a gun pulled on him because he asked for ID. (Actualy the moron pulled the gun from under his jacket to show it, he never pointed it at co-worker.) They guy was in the military and thought he didn't need ID to buy handgun ammo. He left empty handed. He came back a week later to do some shopping, the police where called ASAP. The police (Who slamed him into the brick exterior of our store when he left.) where not amused and flat out told him that had someone with a CCW permit seen him they would have been justified in shooting him. (Brandishing) The most memorable thing was when a cop said, "You idiot, I ought to beat the redneck out of you." Too bad I couldn't get a copy of the security tape.
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

I have to say, that was funny. :d

Comment

most certainly; they can even get into trouble if their dependants are causing trouble. sad thing is, most of them don't know this.

when i worked as a civilian (i used to be a military vet tech) vet tech at the military clinic, one sailor's wife got really nasty and abusive towards our staff (the vet, myself and the secretary), then proceeds to threaten to 'contact the vet's boss' because the vet has an attitude problem.

sure, go right ahead; i'm betting i can call your husband's command FIRST and get his ass buried first..care to try it?

nothing ever came of this, though...we banned her, destroyed the records and never saw her sorry ass again.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Oh Dips, great story! I love the multi-angle angle, like Hoodwinked.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista
                most certainly; they can even get into trouble if their dependants are causing trouble. sad thing is, most of them don't know this.

when i worked as a civilian (i used to be a military vet tech) vet tech at the military clinic, one sailor's wife got really nasty and abusive towards our staff (the vet, myself and the secretary), then proceeds to threaten to 'contact the vet's boss' because the vet has an attitude problem.

sure, go right ahead; i'm betting i can call your husband's command FIRST and get his ass buried first..care to try it?

nothing ever came of this, though...we banned her, destroyed the records and never saw her sorry ass again.
                It is funny how many service members and dependents cannot understand that their behavior can and DOES impact the career and postings of the military member of the family> I learned growing up in a military town that NOTHING is stupider than pissing off retirees: they tend to be quite willing to make the call to the right guys and wreak havoc on the SC.

Comment

Dips, what a GREAT story!!!!!! I'm glad that the clerk at window 12 finally caught on. I bet that once that happened, she had a blast.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay you!!!!!!!
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Since the military angle came up, I just wanted to add another detail.

The first time Entitled Jerk interrupted our transaction the Clerk told him he needed a letter from his commanding officer. I don't know what the letter was for. Most of that conversation took place before we got there.

I can only guess that the RMV will give military personnel their cars back without paying their tickets under certain circumstances. Perhaps if their duties require driving and hardship prevents them from paying? That would make sense, but it also makes sense that the RMV will require proof from the driver's CO before bending the rules for them.

Now that I've seen some responses from folks in the military and told this story to my brother-in-law, who is war veteran, I can see why Entitled Jerk didn't care much for "get a letter from your CO" as the answer to his problem. He just wasn't ready to accept that the ONLY alternative was to pay his tickets.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X