This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for those of you in the medical field

I just need some information so I will know what to watch for and know when to seek medical attention for Hubby.

While he was in the hospital, and they were giving him Dilaudid for pain, his oxygen sats were dropping. The Dr told me to watch him for a couple of days to make sure they stayed back up. She told me that if he got light headed or started getting more cranky then normal, that it was possible that they were down. Is there any other signs I should be watching for that she did not mention?

Blue around the lips and nail beds. He may show signs of having trouble breathing, tiredness, headache.

Comment

Narcotics can cause respiratory depression. It's a short term effect. When the dilaudid wears off, the problem will self resolve. Give it a day or two for it to get completely out of his system, though he should feel better within hours.

Changes in mental status, dizziness, slow breathing are all early signs. Blue nails or lips (cyanosis) is a late sign.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

He seems to be doing better each day. We had a few rough spots yesterday, but I think he tried to do more then his body was ready for. He got cranky on Little Bits and I right before her formal college induction service, but after he saw how important it was to her and what was going on he settled down. I think it was more that he was tired. Yesterday was a long day and he was not involved the week before in moving her to campus.

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
          He got cranky on Little Bits and I right before her formal college induction service,
          Both pain and fatigue will do this. I can get pretty cranky when I hurt and it prevents me from sleeping well.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
            I just need some information so I will know what to watch for and know when to seek medical attention for Hubby.

While he was in the hospital, and they were giving him Dilaudid for pain, his oxygen sats were dropping. The Dr told me to watch him for a couple of days to make sure they stayed back up.
            Yes, and I'm surprised that she didn't mention it. Pulse oximeters have been dropping in size and cost - the link is to an aviation site (small aircraft are not pressurized, so oxygen availability decreases with altitude), but it would be worth asking if such a device were available for rental from a medical supply house. The one in the article looks like it could be sanitized (i.e. between patients) using a bleach wipe, so it should be suitable for rental.

Note that I am not involved in the medical (or aviation) field, and I don't play a doctor/nurse/orderly/pilot/mechanic on TV either.
            Last edited by wolfie; 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM. Reason: added disclaimer
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Yes, and I'm surprised that she didn't mention it. Pulse oximeters have been dropping in size and cost - the link is to an aviation site (small aircraft are not pressurized, so oxygen availability decreases with altitude), but it would be worth asking if such a device were available for rental from a medical supply house. The one in the article looks like it could be sanitized (i.e. between patients) using a bleach wipe, so it should be suitable for rental.

Note that I am not involved in the medical (or aviation) field, and I don't play a doctor/nurse/orderly/pilot/mechanic on TV either.
              I have one that I bought myself, it cost me $80 cost because I bought it from Hospice to use at work.

I bought it to replace the one I bought retail several years before (when I left my last ER job) because the things are just so darned USEFUL. I paid $325 retail for it. The price has probably dropped a bit since then, but I don't consider it a good investment for most people.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                I have one that I bought myself, it cost me $80 cost because I bought it from Hospice to use at work.

I bought it to replace the one I bought retail several years before (when I left my last ER job) because the things are just so darned USEFUL. I paid $325 retail for it. The price has probably dropped a bit since then, but I don't consider it a good investment for most people.
                Pulse oximeters are readily available online for around $50 now, depending on where you look. I've seen them on sale for around $40. I got one just for the heck of it, but it has come in handy a few times.
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Sats Probes/Pulse Oximeters tell you one thing, but they don't always tell you that information correctly. As long as the operator knows what they're doing they're good bits of kit - but their limitations need to be known & understood for them to be used effectively.
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                    Sats Probes/Pulse Oximeters tell you one thing, but they don't always tell you that information correctly. As long as the operator knows what they're doing they're good bits of kit - but their limitations need to be known & understood for them to be used effectively.
                    Amen to that. A lot of things can throw them off: fingernail polish (especially red), poor circulation, thick fingers.

If the result doesn't make sense, then it probably isn't accurate. You have to look at the big picture.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      Amen to that. A lot of things can throw them off: fingernail polish (especially red), poor circulation, thick fingers.

If the result doesn't make sense, then it probably isn't accurate. You have to look at the big picture.
                      Yeah. Treat the patient, not the machine.

Comment

Hubby went to the Dr yesterday nand his Pulse Ox was 99. He is doing real well and has even started walking with me in the evenings again.

Comment

Working...
                        X