X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why employers should

treat job applicants well

esp now with the huge amount of social media, blogs, and the like.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

The content in the ad is definitely the truth. If it's not always what the employers post about the job itself (and how many times) but really for broken links or browser incompatibility if you have to go through their site to apply for the position(s). Another thing I wholeheartedly agree on is on how responsive the employer is with telling the candidates if they will or will not move forward in the interviewing process. I don't like companies that expect candidates to be courteous but don't return the same courtesy back. Even more are companies that are disorganized and slow with the interviewing process.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

#1 is right on. I had an extremely bad experience interviewing with Circuit City once - so bad I never shopped there again.

I also completely agree with the broken links etc.. in ads - it just tells me they're not serious about the hiring so I won't be serious about applying.

Even if you don't have a job companies need to realize that coming to an interview is still costing money in gas and time.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Another one I really dislike is when they're sneaky about tags for the job on the employment sites. For instance, you have a telemarketing job and you know people won't be eager to jump right on that so you tag it to show up under receptionist, administrative assistant, front desk clerk, etc. I ran into that a lot and it annoyed the crap outta me.
        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
          Another one I really dislike is when they're sneaky about tags for the job on the employment sites.
          How about when the person who calls you to set up the interview lies to you about it. I forget which sales company it was, but they outright lied and told me over the phone the positions they were hiring for was IT and Customer Service and then when I got there it was, oh we only have sales positions open now.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
            How about when the person who calls you to set up the interview lies to you about it. I forget which sales company it was, but they outright lied and told me over the phone the positions they were hiring for was IT and Customer Service and then when I got there it was, oh we only have sales positions open now.
            Been there, done that. Only I actually got the job. They told me it was customer service, troubleshooting-type stuff. It was telephone customer complaints. In the interview I flat out said I couldn't handle angry customers and that if this was the type job it was then I didn't want it. They were like "Oh no, you'll be helping people." I lasted almost 3 months.

At the end I cried on the way to and from work, had nightmares every Sunday night knowing I had to go back Monday morning, and had to eat very simple bland food because I was nauseous all the time.
            My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              Even more are companies that are disorganized and slow with the interviewing process.
              ^this. If they are this way already, doesnt make me want to for work for them or use services, as they will likely be this elsewhere.

Comment

Long applications definitely annoy me. Do a tiered system instead. After I fill out the basics, if my work experience and references look good, then have me do those application tests and such.

I get so many applications, even when we're not hiring, that I can't contact each person individually, so I tell them to contact us after a couple weeks if they want to follow-up. If you're in the running, though, and you get an interview, I will contact you back. At the ends of interviews, I always say "If you don't hear from me by such-and-such date, then call me," so there's no question on how long I plan on taking to make the decision.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think my mum is going through that sort of thing right now.

She has had a couple of interviews, but has also had a TON of psychological tests and the like. (no security clearances!)

Guess what the position is?
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    I think my mum is going through that sort of thing right now.

She has had a couple of interviews, but has also had a TON of psychological tests and the like. (no security clearances!)

Guess what the position is?
                    i hope not for google? ;-)

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                      Another one I really dislike is when they're sneaky about tags for the job on the employment sites. For instance, you have a telemarketing job and you know people won't be eager to jump right on that so you tag it to show up under receptionist, administrative assistant, front desk clerk, etc. I ran into that a lot and it annoyed the crap outta me.
                      Oh man I hate those and just as much, the ones that have an overly glorified title for a grunt job. I mean really...that just says that they're desperate and deceptive in finding employees to fill the position(s)!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                      X