This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Suck, Just a Truck

So, we were heading to our local shopping destination and there was a company-owned full sized truck ahead of us with lettering across the back window.

I found it incredibly amusing that for the want of a dash, his company name said something entirely different than he had intended.

I read as follows: Twenty Four Seven

I don't recall what the company actually did, just that instead of 24/7 as intended, their name parses out to 20/4/7, instead.

Looking through listings, I find that the vast majority of local companies are missing that crucial dash. >_>

On a slightly related note, I had seen another business-owned truck with the company name emblazoned upon it. Only, this time the name was split between the back window and the tail gate, which I thought was clever.

Or, rather, I would have thought it clever were the actual name ever painted on the back window. It took going around them to actually know what the name of the company was as the back window was conspicuously clear. I'm not sure whether it was due to the employees being unable to drive safely with the obstruction, or due to a replaced window, or merely never getting the final part done.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Amazing what difference the right punctuation can make. For some reason I have a panda stuck in my head now (if there's anyone who hasn't heard that joke, I'd be happy to tell it, but won't unless asked, cause I'm thinking everyone has by now).

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
      Amazing what difference the right punctuation can make. For some reason I have a panda stuck in my head now (if there's anyone who hasn't heard that joke, I'd be happy to tell it, but won't unless asked, cause I'm thinking everyone has by now).
      "Eats, shoots and leaves." That means he'll come in, eat your food, shoot you, and then leave.

"Eats shoots and leaves." That describes what he eats, i.e. leaves and shoots.

It's like that superfluous apostrophe you see showing up where it shouldn't.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        "Eats, shoots and leaves." That means he'll come in, eat your food, shoot you, and then leave.

"Eats shoots and leaves." That describes what he eats, i.e. leaves and shoots.

It's like that superfluous apostrophe you see showing up where it shouldn't.
        Yep. There's a cute long joke, the "a panda walks into a bar" type of thing to go alone with it

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          Yep. There's a cute long joke, the "a panda walks into a bar" type of thing to go alone with it
          There's a naughty variant about how a koala "eats bushes and leaves." That one takes place in an adult establishment that isn't a bar.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Don't forget the Aussie variant where a woman describes her boyfriend as a "wombat", as in "eats roots and leaves".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Don't forget the Aussie variant where a woman describes her boyfriend as a "wombat", as in "eats roots and leaves".
              You mean "eats, roots and leaves" right? (Gotta remember that comma!)
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I am reminded of an ancient joke (reprinted in one of Bennett Cerf's compilations from the '40s, if I remember right) where they painted on the back of a beer wagon:

BUY OUR
                FINE BEER
                THERE IS NO
                BEER AS GOOD

Then someone opened the right-hand door.

Comment

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

I helped my uncle jack, off a horse.

Let's eat grandma!

Let's eat, grandma!

LOL punctuation is pretty important.

This reminds me of a local trash company where they seem to have mistaken the word "refuse" with "refuge."

Instead of hauling trash away and disposing of it... they collect your garbage and keep it nice and safe somewhere.

Comment

It is also important to consider the lengths of vowel and consonant sounds in Finnish. (There's a rhythm to the language that you pick up after a while.)

Not paying attention can turn jää tee (iced tea) into jäte (rubbish).

Comment

Reminds me of an old one. The chairman of the Board of Education is touring a school, and is criticizing a teacher for teaching the students about punctuation, saying it's a waste of time.

Teacher says: "Johnny, come to the blackboard and write 'The chairman of the Board of Education says the teacher is wasting the students' time.'"

Johnny does this.

Teacher says: "Now put a comma after 'Education' and another after 'teacher'."
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

There's also the one about:

Woman without her man is nothing.

Two options here:

Woman: without her, man is nothing

Woman, without her man, is nothing
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

And now the news:

1) The teacher is right and

2) Woman doesn't need him! (But does he need her? No, just some self-control.)
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X