This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge: 2, Trucks: 0

Not really sucky unless you had to take that route, but we've had two semis get stuck under a railroad overpass near my house in less than two months. First one I watched wedge themselves under the bridge quite nicely. If he had air shocks, he *might* be able to lower enough to get out, but I doubt it. I took a different route into work that day.

Second one was reported by Mrs. Crossbow on her way to work. I think that one was a bit more of a 'shear the top off' situation.

Did I mention the underpass is one lane either way? Sucks to be you if you need to go that way.

I don't know if the height has changed (due to paving or some such), or if the shape of the underpass just makes it easy to get caught on the leading edge of the bridge, or what, but the DoT really needs to get out there and take a look.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

The Wife use to work at a warehouse facility. The was a notorious railroad overpass near them. Anytime a trucker would call in for directions, she would tell them "Do not go XXX route. " At least once a month, a driver heading to their warehouse, that she had warned, would hit the bridge.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Back when my brother Drove a semi, he had a delivery at one warehouse location, that he had to go under a railroad bridge to get to. On his way to the warehouse he didn't have a problem, but on his way back out, under the same bridge he got wedged. The differences was so close, that the train that was passing on the bridge on the way out lowered it just enough to get him caught.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Here's a bridge that went an impressive 13-0 for the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkS6...&feature=share
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Here's a bridge that went an impressive 13-0 for the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkS6...&feature=share
          Oh, I love that site. Amazing how many trucks get caught at that one.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm not at all surprised that a good number of those are rentals.

Also, good on that one truck that stopped and the tow truck that lowered the bus on the back to clear the bridge.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Across the river, there's a small underpass--the main road goes under a smaller feeder road. Multiple large signs in both directions with the height and "NO TRUCKS" (I think there's also neon signs for nighttime) and yet idiots still manage to get themselves stuck. One year I saw a mid-size moving truck wedged under the bridge with the roof partially peeled off like a sardine can on wheels
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                the train that was passing on the bridge on the way out lowered it just enough to get him caught.
                More likely the decreased load in the trailer on the way out made it ride higher on the springs.

My father used to do accounting for car dealers. He told us once about a car transporter operator who thought he could take a shortcut, and wound up buying two Cadillacs that he'd inadvertently turned into convertibles.

Comment

My city has a truck trap too. It isn't a train bridge any more, but it's a trail bridge (since they tore up all the tracks and put a walking trail over the rail bed). They left the train bridge hardware in place when they did the changeover.

The bridge itself is over a dip in the road (it regularly floods hard in the spring), with 3 or 4 roads going and crossing each other under the bridge. And at least 2-3 times a year, we'll get word that "The Waterloo road is blocked, due to a truck stuck under the train bridge." (No track but we still call it the train bridge)

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                    Back when my brother Drove a semi, he had a delivery at one warehouse location, that he had to go under a railroad bridge to get to. On his way to the warehouse he didn't have a problem, but on his way back out, under the same bridge he got wedged. The differences was so close, that the train that was passing on the bridge on the way out lowered it just enough to get him caught.
                    I think it's more likely that offloading the weight of the delivery was enough to raise it up enough to get caught. Been there, done that, ripped the awning off the delivery bay.

Comment

Quoth Dadeo View Post
                      I think it's more likely that offloading the weight of the delivery was enough to raise it up enough to get caught. Been there, done that, ripped the awning off the delivery bay.
                      For most semis nowadays, that wouldn't happen. Unlike old-style springs, air ride suspension (like on most modern dry vans/reefers) adds or removes air in order to maintain a constant ride height regardless of load.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X