This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I a Magnet?

So last night it was quitting time. One of the people I live with works at the same location I do. The two of us get in the car and start the commute home. As we are sitting at a red light... *BANG* ...woman in an SUV rear ends us.

There was no visible damage to the car we were in (though it's getting checked) but we both have been a bit stiff and have some minor whiplash. It could have been a lot worse.

This is just a year and a half after I was rear ended while driving on a highway by a drunk, and high, driver. That time my car got totaled and I had to have surgery to repair my shoulder. This time... eh, made my shoulder ache from the impact but I seem to be alright minus the whole stiff neck and whiplash thing.

The kinda funny bit? I was on the phone with my bank to clear up some pending charge issues. They had me in the middle of answering the random security questions and they were multiple choice and I was like, "The answer is *BANG!* WHAT THE HELL? I mean... D? I think it's D." The phone banker freaked out when he realized what he'd just heard, but since I wasn't driving I stayed on the call to finish my business (we were almost done) and he was great about keeping things fast and efficient so we could wrap up fast. (Kudos to you, banker dude!)
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Definitely have it checked. You'll probably have to have the shock absorber in the bumper replaced, which isn't precisely cheap, but better it being damaged than you.

Also, definitely have the both of you checked out, too. Even if all you do is get some muscle relaxants to help with the stiffness, it can do wonders to improve your condition. I speak from experience on this one.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hope you feel better soon. I would also suggest avoiding cutlery stores.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Not to scare you, but don't be surprised if, once they start fixing your car, more damage is uncovered. I got rear-ended a few years back, scratched up the bumper, bent the trunk lid a tad, and my initial estimate was about 1500-1800. But when they started to work on it, they found other damaged not visible, so my repair ended up being close to 3K

Comment

Sometimes people seem to have targets on their cars. Or like a 'hit me' aura.

Since we moved to our house in 2010, my husband's car was hit (while parked at the curb) at 3 am by a woman who drove away and, when caught by police, claimed she didn't know she hit anything. Yes, you didn't notice you caused $6000 of damage to the car, wiping out a huge corner of the hood (I think she was high/drunk personally).

A couple days later someone pulled into our driveway to back out and turn around, and while backing out hit the fence post, tearing it out of the ground.

Almost exactly a year after the 3 am incident, my car was t-boned by a numbskull who ran a red light. $3000 of damage.

Two weeks ago my husband was rear-ended on his way home from work. $1500 of damage.

We're thinking of moving.

(glad you're okay, go to a doctor at the first sign of pain in your shoulder though- sometimes injuries don't show up right away)
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Definitely have it checked. You'll probably have to have the shock absorber in the bumper replaced, which isn't precisely cheap, but better it being damaged than you.

Also, definitely have the both of you checked out, too. Even if all you do is get some muscle relaxants to help with the stiffness, it can do wonders to improve your condition. I speak from experience on this one.

^-.-^
            yep. especially since you never know. and this way if something does come up you have proof to take to the other driver's insurance company

Comment

I got rear ended for the first time, and several months later, again. then, a year or so after that, a deer ran into the side of my car in broad daylight. Then, about 6 months later, I got rear ended YET again. So 3 times in 2 years, and the deer. Thankfully that car is long gone!

Comment

I hope you're okay, and not anything bad. I remember one time someone slammed into my car hard enough to send me flying a half car length forward into the car in front of me. (I think part of the reason was that I was so startled by the initial strike my foot came off the break which made it easier, but who knows?)

The guy who rammed me tried to claim that I owed him his medical bills when I was sitting on the ambulances tailgate getting stitches in my head. The EMT - who was a tall, though well built guy - stopped cold and turned his head, eyes first, toward the guy. The stare he gave that man even had me nervous.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                X