This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security: On the Ball

The on-site security for The Client doesn't get enough good press, and this is an instance where they have to get some!

NOTE: Details concerning The Client are necessarily obfuscated, both due to site policy and Client policy.

This story was related to me by my coworker "Minh" (not her real name). She works the overnight shift here at the help desk, and this happened to her last week.

So before she comes in for her shift, she swings by Mickey D's to get some food. After seeing the line at the drive-thru, she decided to park it, get her food, and then go back to her car before coming to work at The Client.

It was after she left Mickey D's that she noticed a car following her. She didn't think anything of this. There are plenty of people who work further up the road from us. She didn't think anything of it either when they turned into the main entrance to The Client, either. There are plenty of people who work overnight here as well.

So Minh pulls up to the gate and shows her ID badge so the gate will open. And then she sees the car following her start to try to back up.

Which is when he's immediately penned in place by Security, in the form of one car behind him. As Minh pulls through the gate and up to the other gate (as she works overnight, she has to more or less show her ID twice to get in), another Security car pulls up in front of the car that had followed her, their lights flashing.

Minh looks at this in surprise, then just smiles and comes on in to work without further incident. She didn't mention this to me until a few days later, when I recalled seeing the two Security cars (lights flashing and everything) and the car in question. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it becomes far more amusing after Minh told me the story.

Given the nature of The Client, our Security absolutely does have authority to do this kind of thing, and they Do Not Fuck Around. That's all I'll say. Good on them for looking out for Minh, even if Mr. Follower realized he'd made an error in judgment and tried to leave.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Good on them! Who knows what could've transpired (or not) that they may've prevented. Always, always better to be safer than sorry
    (or: better to ask forgiveness than permission - whichever you prefer )
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

From OP's description, it sounds like Client is a heavy-duty kind of place. Even if they hadn't cared about Minh, this would be a classic case of "unauthorized person tries to get in, then thinks better of it" - to protect the Client, it's better to nab the guy while they've got a chance than to let him get away and possibly get on-site through a less-secure entry route.

Security here definitely did a better job than the "protect against bad guys coming in by water" group at that airport in New York, who let a guy whose jet-ski ran out of fuel get on-site and cross 2 active runways before being spotted by an airport employee. Fortunately the intruder in this case wasn't "Al Quaida", but "I'll hafta make sure the tank's full next time".
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        From OP's description, it sounds like Client is a heavy-duty kind of place. Even if they hadn't cared about Minh, this would be a classic case of "unauthorized person tries to get in, then thinks better of it" - to protect the Client, it's better to nab the guy while they've got a chance than to let him get away and possibly get on-site through a less-secure entry route.

Security here definitely did a better job than the "protect against bad guys coming in by water" group at that airport in New York, who let a guy whose jet-ski ran out of fuel get on-site and cross 2 active runways before being spotted by an airport employee. Fortunately the intruder in this case wasn't "Al Quaida", but "I'll hafta make sure the tank's full next time".
        The Client is absolutely a heavy-duty kind of place. And I'd honestly like to see the guy TRY to find a less secure entry route. Security, as I said, Does Not Fuck Around. Sure, Security was probably protecting The Client rather than Minh, but it's still good to see that they were on the ball.

And honestly, the idiot in the car who started following Minh should have realized how much of a mistake he'd made when he made that turn into the entrance. There's a big sign out front that states who The Client is, and that should have clued him in.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I'm just curious what Mr. Following Guy was doing following someone else right into a secure location, that I'm sure had at least one sign saying that he didn't belong.....
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            I'm just curious what Mr. Following Guy was doing following someone else right into a secure location, that I'm sure had at least one sign saying that he didn't belong.....
            Yeah, like I said, he should have been clued in by the big sign he passed turning into the entrance behind Minh. It states quite clearly that the facility belongs to The Client.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              Like they read signs.

There's a facility close to my home that has legal protection against photographs being taken - there's at least one person a month who decides the signs don't apply to them...
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I had a stalker for better than 20 years, so I simply made sure I knew where the nearest military installation was all the time. I *like* places where if you don't have the proper ID and push it you could end up in Ft Leavenworth or dead.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                X