Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nature calls: Ding-a-ling! (Long dentist story)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature calls: Ding-a-ling! (Long dentist story)

As a small business owner who has dealt with the public for over 25 years (ugh!), I try not to be an SC myself, ever. Despite best intentions, I can do some ding-a-ling things too.

A recently repaired tooth became infected and I needed an emergency root canal; a very good endodontic practice got me in on the Friday before a holiday.

My normal coffee-sipping routine was disrupted along with the rest of my day's schedule; the second big cup which was normally sipped over the course of 1+ hours got swigged before leaving for the appointment.

Arrived on time despite traffic; filled out the multitude of forms efficiently; and before I could get 2 paragraphs into a magazine article they whisked me to the chair. I was amazed at the efficiency of the office. A digital x-ray was taken- whoa, there's my messed up tooth on a 28" screen! Then the dentist came in and sat down for a very thorough and professional explanation of what was going to be done, which competed for attention with thoughts of omg, this place is staffed ENTIRELY by very cute women! Don't do or say anything stupid, Automan! Then, the worst part for me of dental procedures, injecting the painkiller, but compared to my regular guy, this dentist had finer needles, gentler touch, and a better sense of direction.

Then I am left for the numbing to be complete. At my regular office it was 10 minutes or so. Here it was an interminably long time. 20... 25min, she is busy here.

Then suddenly the dentist and her assistant breeze back in, and like machinework they have me bibbed and the chair back with a quiet hiss. Tubes are stuck in my mouth, compressed air and water blast briefly, tools are poised...

And I realize. That cup of coffee is really burgeoning in my bladder all of a sudden. How long will this procedure take? This is going to get worse on me, fast. Should I chance it?

So thickly, with cotton pads stuffed in my mouth, too, I held up my hand and said, "you know, I really should visit the restroom before we dig in..."

Record scratch! They were very kind about it, but I sensed a Captain Picard-style Double Facepalm behind my disappearing back. Turns out, the restroom is out of the office, down the hall past the elevators, and left down another hall. If only I thought of it during all that time I sat there idle.

Things went briskly and comfortably for me once I returned, refreshed. I must say, they did a super job, there was no pain and I took one ibuprofen when I got back, nothing else needed. I could not have asked for a more perfect root canal, except... when nature called.
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

It was ME this time.
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Glad the procedure went well. And yes, definitely brain burp, not SC.

Comment

Aww! That's one of my fears when sitting in the dentist chair haha. So I go once before getting in the car and then again after I check in. It's torture having to lie down with people fiddling with your teeth and you have to pee.

Good thing you had the courage to stop them and going. Some people wouldn't have said anything and just dealt with it. Which leads to the torture part lol.

Comment

Ugh, you gotta go you gotta go. I'm sure the hissing of the water really go to you!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

This happens to me frequently. And I am at the dentist often.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My dentist makes everyone use the restroom before they sit down for any procedure.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                Ugh, you gotta go you gotta go. I'm sure the hissing of the water really go to you!
                That'll do it everytime! By which you can tell I too have been there, done that ...

Comment

You were far from being an SC - an SC would have gone in the sink, or all over the seat, then complained that no-one asked them they needed to go...
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                  X