X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
    <snip>
    If that teacher ever watched Getaway, I'd imagine that she'd be having the same issue with the host of the show! (Catriona Rowntree, pronounced like Katrina on the show )
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Seems a primary school teacher that resorts to yelling and screaming at very young students when it is the teacher that is in the wrong, this sort of person was not really welcome in the school I went to. Pity that principal wasn't cloned for all the other schools I went to.
      When I was in 2nd grade they felt I was a problem. They even had a video camera set up to tape me to show how I behaved in class. Of course back then there was no such thing as a "hidden" camera. So we'd all make silly faces at it and act up in front of it... they tried using that as evidence on my behavior.

but the big blow up was at the meeting with the school counselor. I don't remember this so I might not have been there. I do remember them showing my mom the video of me but she wasn't mad at me for that.

What I do remember though is what she told me since then. Apparently she started talking to the teacher in an adult version of how I would reply. Until the teacher started blowing up... at which case the counselor ended the meeting. Mom left and apparently the counselor conducted a private meeting with the teacher.

She continued teaching for another year and then retired.

Comment

When I was in first grade, the teacher handed out little hand-printed cards with our names printed on them so that we could print our names on our papers. I already knew how to print my name, and I noticed my last name was spelled differently than I'd been taught (off by only one letter) but I assumed that teacher knew best, so I dutifully copied it as written. When my mother noticed my wrongly-spelled name on the papers I brought home and commented, I explained to her that she'd taught me wrong. After all, the teacher must be right because teachers know everything. Mom had to show me our name in the phone book before I believed her, but she spoke to the teacher and everything was cleared up without trouble.

Later in grade school, I was in a class with Kathy. That was her name. The teacher insisted on calling her Kathleen. She explained that her name was not Kathleen, it was Kathy. The teacher -- I should mention this was a Catholic school -- informed her that her name could not possibly be Kathy as there was no Saint Kathy. I think her mother had to come straighten that one out.

But it was in high school that I was silly enough to correct a teacher's spelling. One teacher kept talking about ESP and writing it on the board as "extra sensory perception." I told her that extrasensory was one word, and that I was sure because I had checked the dictionary. She explained to me that the dictionary wasn't a trustworthy source because Daniel Webster made it up as he went along. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          If that teacher ever watched Getaway, I'd imagine that she'd be having the same issue with the host of the show! (Catriona Rowntree, pronounced like Katrina on the show )
          I love that there is now a famous Catriona in Australia. It makes it so much easier to say, "the o is silent so it's pronounced Catrina, just like Catriona Rowntree." Unfortunately Catriona Rowntree didn't appear on the scene until I was in late high school. But I am so happy she did. And then there are the people that insist that she spells her name without the o, and anytime you see it with an o it is a mistake, but you really can't argue with stupidity.

Comment

Quoth ozcatbug View Post
            I love that there is now a famous Catriona in Australia. It makes it so much easier to say, "the o is silent so it's pronounced Catrina, just like Catriona Rowntree." Unfortunately Catriona Rowntree didn't appear on the scene until I was in late high school. But I am so happy she did. And then there are the people that insist that she spells her name without the o, and anytime you see it with an o it is a mistake, but you really can't argue with stupidity.

You can't always fix stupid I'm afraid.

And don't worry, if someone gives me the spelling of a student's name, I'll take it as that. (primary school pre-service teacher here )
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

This happened to me. In primary school I had a teacher that insisted that my name was pronounced as it was spelled. The only problem with that is that my name has a silent "O". My name is a common sounding name with a number of different spellings, my spelling being rare in Australia as it is a Scottish variant. My mother is Scottish so she knows how it is pronounced. To make it easier to follow, my name is Catriona, pronounced Catrina.
              So you mean you're really "zcatbug" vs "ozcatbug"?

but on a serious note I understand. One gal I know online is named something like Laboshire (i may have the spelling wrong). It's really pronounced "Lee-Shawn" (which I think sounds absolutely beautiful). She knows when people call up that they don't really know her when they try to say "Lab...*mangle*"

Comment

I corrected an English teacher in class...once Senior year in high school -- I have long since forgotten what it was about, I recall only that I blurted it out without thinking, I was right, and that it was insignificant enough that I really should have kept my big trap shut . After I dealt with the look of astonishment on the teacher's face and, of course, ensuing detention, said teacher and I had a long talk in his office, and came out of it as friends as a result. I think he felt I was due a bit of respect for having the juevos to say it in the first place, even thought the actual act was disrespectful >_>

re: Kathy: That one is making my head hurt. Not everyone is named after saints, even in "traditional" families
                Quoth Sparky View Post
                She explained to me that the dictionary wasn't a trustworthy source because Daniel Webster made it up as he went along. I'm still trying to figure that one out.
                Well....technically, she's right. It's part of the reason why I don't think much of Webster. This is "to the best of my recollection", as I got my English degree some time ago This is just something that sticks in my craw...Please take it with a grain of salt. - edit: if it makes you feel any better, she was thinking of NOAH Webster. Daniel was a statesman.

His job -- in theory -- as a lexicographer was to go around and find out how people in the places he researched used and spelled words most frequently, to note them down, and then (presumably) figure out which ones were most common, and record them as such. Essentially, let the majority decide.

What he reportedly did instead, was to take all of this data down and proscribe the "proper spellings" himself, even if the spellings he chose had *never* been encountered by him, nor by any other researcher. He supposedly wanted to establish American English as its own thing which was intentionally distinct from British English specifically in the way that he chose, rather than allowing this natural process to continue apace on its own, as it had already been doing for some time. This is allegedly part of the reason why US uses "color" rather than "colour", etc.

Once his work was complete, the resulting books were sent out to many schools, and soon became the de facto tome for teaching English vocabulary in America.
                Last edited by EricKei; 09-17-2012, 12:28 AM. Reason: stupid mistakes look even worse when one is ranting about English and usage...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

All things considered, I wouldn't really care if part of what Webster did was to put in a measure of consistency across similar words. Beyond that, I really don't have much of an opinion. Further discussion would be better suited to Fratching, however.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter how Webster compiled his dictionary back then; we're not there any more, and his spellings are considered correct these days regardless of how we came to be using them.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    And remember since I'm in Australia that is pronounced "zed-catbug".

Comment

Kinda like watching Stargate Atlantis ... watch enough of McKay and you start saying "Zed-PM" too!

Comment

Teachers used to misspell my real name frequently, and it's a common name. However, it has many variants. I forgave them because all the variants are pronounced the same.

My real problem was with the other kid bearing one of those name variations. Sometimes it seemed as though the teachers were singling him out for praise because HIS name conformed to their standards.
                        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

My whole problem with the Webster's dictionary discussion is; Noah Webster was the lexicographer, Daniel Webster was a politician several years later. IIRC

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                            Later in grade school, I was in a class with Kathy. That was her name. The teacher insisted on calling her Kathleen. She explained that her name was not Kathleen, it was Kathy. The teacher -- I should mention this was a Catholic school -- informed her that her name could not possibly be Kathy as there was no Saint Kathy. I think her mother had to come straighten that one out.
                            And what about children whose families are from other cultures where Catholicism was introduced fairly recently (i.e. only a couple centuries)? Do these families not have the right to give their children names that are traditional in their culture? Also, how could the saint have been given that name if no previous saint had that name?

When my brother was in elementary school, the teacher had the class do a drawing of someone in the traditional costume of the country one of their parents came from. My brother chose Germany, but the teacher insisted he be more specific - East Germany or West Germany? Of course, the costume was traditional Bavarian, and pre-dated the 19th century unification of Germany (never mind the mid-20th century division into East and West).
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

@ Taurus - yeah, I caught that later; you are correct. Went back and edited my post.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

but on a serious note I understand. One gal I know online is named something like Laboshire (i may have the spelling wrong). It's really pronounced "Lee-Shawn" (which I think sounds absolutely beautiful). She knows when people call up that they don't really know her when they try to say "Lab...*mangle*"
                                Well, now I'm imagining someone mangling her name as something like, "Is this miss... Labia-for-hire?"

I might be a terrible person.

Comment

Working...
                                X