This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Self Sighting... maybe?

Awhile back I had dinner at an Outback. It was Sunday and evening and very slow. The server who I had was not too motivated. My first Coke took 15 minutes after being seated. The food was ok that I remember, but the server was incredibly slow.

I did not leave a tip. And that's the ONLY time I never tipped. Was I in the wrong?

I don't think so, I don't think a tip should be something that is automatically given even if the service is lousy. If it was something that was beyond the server's control than that's one thing, but I agree that you were in the right IMO.

Comment

Here all wait staff get at least minimum wage, so if the service is bad, I don't feel bad about not leaving a tip. When I visit my mom, her state allows pay just over $2 something for tipped positions, so I'd leave at least something.

Comment

The only thing I would have done differently is ask to see a manager, explain your problems, and tell them that is why you are not leaving a tip. Too many assholes never tip and if you do not make it known that you are not one of them but someone with a legitimate grievance (15 minutes for a Coke, unacceptable) they will assume and things will not change (not guaranteed to but its possible).

Comment

Have you frequented this location before? There may be a reason business is so slow. I love me some IHOP, but I avoid one particular location like the plague. I have never had good service there and you always have long wait times, even if you're one of the few customers. Judging by the lack of cars in the lot, even on busy weekends, I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I don't live in the area anymore. The Outback was consistently busy most of the time. Sunday nights were usually slower for them. I went there frequently and the food was great almost all the time. Once in a great while it would be average.

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
              The only thing I would have done differently is ask to see a manager, explain your problems, and tell them that is why you are not leaving a tip. Too many assholes never tip and if you do not make it known that you are not one of them but someone with a legitimate grievance (15 minutes for a Coke, unacceptable) they will assume and things will not change (not guaranteed to but its possible).
              Ditto this. I remember once, I left something like a fifteen or twenty-five cent tip, so the server wouldn't think I simply was someone who didn't tip. The service was dismal (the food sucked, too), and I never returned to that restaurant again (nor do I recommend it to the guests at work; the motel is across the street from this place and when people inquire, I tell them the honest truth).
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                Ditto this. I remember once, I left something like a fifteen or twenty-five cent tip, so the server wouldn't think I simply was someone who didn't tip. The service was dismal (the food sucked, too), and I never returned to that restaurant again (nor do I recommend it to the guests at work; the motel is across the street from this place and when people inquire, I tell them the honest truth).
                You should call Robert Irvine and see if he can't come in and shout them into shape.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I left a one cent tip to a waiter at Pizza Hut once. I'm normally a really good tipper even if service is only average. This guy though.. well let me just say that he sucked. That's a different story for a different time though.

Comment

Before we got married my husband to me to on a lunch date. Our server was a girl I knew from high school, but we weren't in each others circles. She ignored us a lot. served achohal to her underage friends, etc. A year or two later we were passing the restaurant and my husband told me that day, because she was joking around with friend she had given us to much change back and he kept it and didn't tip her. He said she probably had to pay it out of her tips, and hopefully learned a lesson. I told him it bothered me he esstianlly stole, but not sure they would be able to pinpoint it was her that cause the til to be short.
                    The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Feedback to the management is often the best recourse for truly terrible service.

Either management cares, and the problem will be corrected and you can still eat there, or management doesn't care and you know the place is a lost cause.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hey I just ate here,
                        and this is crazy,
                        service sucks dear,
                        so fix it, maybe?
                        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                        X