This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAWWWW my tickets expired!

Through my office, we offer employees discounted tickets with certain theme parks. They purchase tickets at my desk and therefore it falls to me to make sure the amount of money and tickets we have are squared once the season ends. The season ended some time ago, so I have since prepared the counts and the tickets to return to the vendor.

So of course, as soon as I finalize everything, I have an employee/customer (E/C) call with a problem.

Me: *Thank you for calling spiel*
    E/C: Yes I purchased [vendor] tickets from your office and they informed me that they were closed now for the season and I haven't used them.
    Me: I'm very sorry about that, but they did in fact close over Labor Day.
    E/C: I was told when I bought them that these tickets would be good until the 26th.
    Me: *coughingHORSESHITcoughing* I'm sorry about that, ma'am, but the duration the tickets is listed on the tickets themselves and this is what I have been telling all purchasers.
    E/C: Can I get a refund? I paid $120 for these and was told they would be good until the end of this month!
    Me: Well, I really don't think so since we have processed most of the money already and [vendor] may not return us any money for expired tickets.
    E/C: Oh my God!

She continues to insist that she was told differently and wants her money back. I'm also feeling pretty damned insulted that she would make some bullshit up about me telling her a different expiration date because she screwed up. If there is one thing I can barely tolerate, it's customers who try to convince me that I said something I NEVER said. I felt bad that she was out $120, but was this close to telling her tough shit. But, since I can't really make the final decision on this, I recommend she leave a message for my supervisor (who actually handles our various discounts and such).

My supervisor comes to talk to me a little later and I show her one of the tickets that has the valid dates very clearly labeled and say frankly that this E/C is trying to lie about what I said. Also, I point out, that the STARTING date is May 26th. Hmm. She could not possibly have gotten a little mixed up here? Fortunately, my supervisor knows I'm not a moron and because I bang out all the ticket/discount reconciliation stuff on time and to the penny it's not hard for me to sell my side of the story.

So my supervisor calls E/C back, she basically tells E/C what I said, which is that the tickets clearly state the expiration date, and politely suggests she got the dates mixed up. However, we can't guarantee that we can get her money back, but since $120 is a lot to lose for no reason, she would call [vendor] for her and see what they would do.

As it stands, E/C is going to return the tickets to us, but I haven't heard if we are going to refund her. I have a feeling we probably will. Regardless, I'm miffed that I have to go back and redo my crap because I have to add in the returned tickets. To be fair, I might act a little crazier than usual if my broke ass was in a similar situation, but I hope I would stop for a second and make sure I wasn't lying about the person trying to help me with MY mistake. Customers can just GTFO with that.

I've been broke ass and had quite similar issues with expired vouchers, and rather than make up lies about what I was and wasn't told, I've called up and just copped to my own mistake and asked if there was anything at all that could be done on my behalf.

Not surprisingly, the people I talk to actually want to help me, even if results do vary.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      I've been broke ass and had quite similar issues with expired vouchers, and rather than make up lies about what I was and wasn't told, I've called up and just copped to my own mistake and asked if there was anything at all that could be done on my behalf.

Not surprisingly, the people I talk to actually want to help me, even if results do vary.

^-.-^
      Yep, I'm always amazed at how willing people are to help you if you show genuine regret and respect. Got an airline to pay for two days of hotels while they put me on standby for every plane that could get me home when they oversold and stranded me in another state, and got a professor to let me take an exam late when I misread the exam time. Making someone feel like the good guy can be surprisingly motivating.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Not surprisingly, the people I talk to actually want to help me, even if results do vary.^-.-^
        Yeah, just this. I've done this a few times. Once was getting work a supplier to change a rate since I had notes from the conversation saying we did agree a minorly different one. The most current one was phoning up a computer place that is known for being rude to people trying to get their orders quicker (according to many reviews) and due to the fact I asked about the shipping date nicely and didn't demand anything I had confirmation they were shipping it that afternoon instead of 2 weeks time.

Neither of those would have worked with the SC's attitude in play.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I was reading the paper a couple of days back and saw an amusing story about someone that dug out some old vouchers for a hardware store and without looking at the date on the back, went and attempted to use them at the store in question. Upon receiving the vouchers, the cashier raised an eyebrow, apparently rather surprised and amused and called a supervisor.

Turns out the vouchers expired in 1983.

Here's the kicker: THE COMPANY HONORED THE VOUCHERS. How's THAT for good customer service?
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
            Yep, I'm always amazed at how willing people are to help you if you show genuine regret and respect. Got an airline to pay for two days of hotels while they put me on standby for every plane that could get me home when they oversold and stranded me in another state, and got a professor to let me take an exam late when I misread the exam time. Making someone feel like the good guy can be surprisingly motivating.
            Definitely this!

If someone begins yelling and screaming from the very get go, I'm going to do the absolute minimum I'm required to do. I'm not going to go the extra mile or even bend the rules for someone who is throwing a fit and insulting me, including even insulting me personally because they screwed something up.

Now on the other hand, if someone is honest about what is going on, feels bad about the situation, and is asking for help in a genuine matter, I'll move mountains for them.

Comment

Working...
            X